Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Buck & Season

Re: 2019 Buck & Season

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post

Recovered the bullet on the rear flank. Shot was uphill, between head on/quartering to, entered behind left shoulder, missing the heart, somehow took out both lungs, clipped the liver and touched a tenderloin.
    Some nice pics and congrats on the bucks.

What bullet were you using? Looks like just the jacket is all that's left? What distance and muzzle velocity? Looks like something better suited to varmints...

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post

What bullet were you using? Looks like just the jacket is all that's left? What distance and muzzle velocity? Looks like something better suited to varmints...

Federal factory ammo, 130 grain Nosler Partition .270.... 2900 fps MV? Shot was 80-100 yrs and impacted two ribs bones.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post

That's a typical nosler in my experience. No front partition left as it dumps all that lead into the meat and body as the back partition pushes forward. It's why I would prefer to use the TTSX.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    That's a typical nosler in my experience. No front partition left as it dumps all that lead into the meat and body as the back partition pushes forward. It's why I would prefer to use the TTSX.

It is the second NP i have recovered. Both were from shots with angles that caused the bullet to penetrate length-wise along the body. I have been considering switching to monos for a number of reasons, but also considering to always use one of my 30 cals as every animal i've shot with the 270 (bear, deer, cougar) has ran, not dropping on the spot. I think inside 100 yards on thin skinned game, a 270 kind of just zings through, not always dumping enough energy. I was running 150 grain NPs but switched to 130 as the rifle likes those a bit more.

Nice blacktail, and glad you did your diligence on both hunts on looking for your buck....that's good you use flagging tape to mark your trail in, do you also use a compass? If not, it may give you more confidence in your bearings in and out, therefore in that instance you may not have had to turn around....