Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Best All Round Breed

Re: The Best All Round Breed

@Spy,this is a bold statement!!
    To outperform the best in the world ?!

The probability for a well bred dog to be a dud is very slim,provided the pup got good guidance,more likely for the "mongrel"to be an "unknown"performer.
    For people to say that breeding don't matter is ridiculous.For hundreds of years breeders bred for the best and nowadays we think the common mutt is a more reliable performer?

Rainer

Exactly even though our dogs are from 100% field lines we never breed a bitch or male until they are proven in the field. Bloodlines and genetics go a very long way toward taking the "luck" out of picking a pup.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    @Spy,this is a bold statement!!
    To outperform the best in the world ?!

The probability for a well bred dog to be a dud is very slim,provided the pup got good guidance,more likely for the "mongrel"to be an "unknown"performer.
    For people to say that breeding don't matter is ridiculous.For hundreds of years breeders bred for the best and nowadays we think the common mutt is a more reliable performer?

Rainer
    Eventually everything comes to an end, those genes can’t keep going and the breed will become inferior..

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Eventually everything comes to an end, those genes can’t keep going and the breed will become inferior..
    Only partially correct.

Some breeds (purebreds) have a very deep and varied gene pool that can be used to insure that inbreeding (and the associated problems) are unlikely to occur. This breeding program requires ethical breeders, who properly research lineage and the associated traits both good and bad, to help insure a solid, defect free, progeny.

Conversely, some breeds and lines have a very shallow gene pools that severely limit the breeding choices. Factoring in human ignorance, greed and arrogance and you have a recipe for some pretty screwed up offspring.

“Silver” labs are a prime example of what happens when low life, greedy and unethical people are involved in breeding.

This is why purebred, registered dogs, from responsible, knowledgeable, and ethical breeders can usually produce some solid and reliable examples that exhibit the traits and characteristics valued for that particularly breed.

Breeding purebred, registered dogs gives the breeder a 5 or 7 generation pedigree to make proper and ethical choices for their breeding program.

This is what irritates me to no end when people throw two dogs together to produce a litter and don’t have a clue what the genetic and hereditary makeup of the parents are.....except for....”hey man, these are two pretty good dogs....I know both parents.....should produce some good pups.”

So Spy my friend. From someone who is always encouraging others to educate themselves and open their minds to learning something new, I encourage you to follow your own sage advice about dogs and breeding.
    Last edited by labguy; 02-01-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Only partially correct.

Some breeds (purebreds) have a very deep and varied gene pool that can be used to insure that inbreeding (and the associated problems) are unlikely to occur. This breeding program requires ethical breeders, who properly research lineage and the associated traits both good and bad, to help insure a solid, defect free, progeny.

Conversely, some breeds and lines have a very shallow gene pools that severely limit the breeding choices. Factoring in human ignorance, greed and arrogance and you have a recipe for some pretty screwed up offspring.

“Silver” labs are a prime example of what happens when low life, greedy and unethical people are involved in breeding.

This is why purebred, registered dogs, from responsible, knowledgeable, and ethical breeders can usually produce some solid and reliable examples that exhibit the traits and characteristics valued for that particularly breed.

Breeding purebred, registered dogs gives the breeder a 5 or 7 generation pedigree to make proper and ethical choices for their breeding program.

This is what irritates me to no end when people throw two dogs together to produce a litter and don’t have a clue what the genetic and hereditary makeup of the parents are.....except for....”hey man, these are two pretty good dogs....I know both parents.....should produce some good pups.”

So Spy my friend. From someone who is always encouraging others to educate themselves and open their minds to learning something new, I encourage you to follow your own sage advice about dogs and breeding.
    Im not arguing with you and agree on most but a breed can’t carry on for eternity without new blood... That said most breeds did not start off as say A GSP there are many different breeds that were bred to eventually get the final product.

Only partially correct.

This, the fact is I don't care how great a dog is or how much work someone puts into it if there are no record of the bloodlines there is no way that dog can be reliably reproduced if it is a "mutt' but with registered dogs the odds are pretty good that the dog could be easily reproduced knowing what lines went together to produce the trait you want to carry on. With a "mutt" the odds of reproducing that dog, no matter how great it may be, are slim to none without knowing what lines, genetics and traits went together to create the dog of unknown linage no matter how good that dog happens to be.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Only partially correct.

So what's the scoop on these "Pointing" labs I hear about from time to time? Someone messing around with the breeding there, as well?

IMHO "pointing lbs" are flushing dogs with a very week flush that have had that trait strengthened to become a point instead of having the flush corrected. Even a very few Spaniels(the premium flushing dog) will have a weak flush which is construed as a point, in their case they are corrected rather than reinvented ad pointing dogs.
    "BORN TO HUNT"

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    So what's the scoop on these "Pointing" labs I hear about from time to time? Someone messing around with the breeding there, as well?
    https://www.gundogmag.com/editorial/...ab_0616/175419

Thats a great article in Gun Dog mag. Foxton might be right, a weak flush instinct. I'v had two black Labs that when they were young they were great flusher but when they got older they both started to point, say about 8 yrs. they were 6 yrs. apart in age so they weren't doing it at the same time and they didn't hunt together so it wasn't a learned thing. They would just lock up and point. I don't know if it was a weak flush instinct because it didn't take much to get them to flush, just say, get that bird and bang they flushed but what it did do was it gave you that second to get ready for the flush. It was fun to watch.