Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best All Round Breed

Re: The Best All Round Breed

I'v really enjoyed reading this thread, lots of good opinions on the different hunting breeds and everyone is going to argue that the breed that they've chosen is the best all round bread. A few years ago I was lucky to be invited to go along on a pheasant hunting to eastern Montana, we stayed at a large motel in the small town of Plentywood, there was an other motel of equal size as well, they were both booked solid by hunters. For nominal fee you could have your dog in your room, so first thing in the morning when everybody was getting ready to go hunting you can just imagine all the but sniffing going on while you tried to get to your vehicle. I'v never seen as many different hunting bird dogs breeds, there were lots of different Pointers, Setters, Spaniels, every colour of Labs, Chesapeake's and if you were going to ask the hunters which bread was the most versatile I'm sue they would all say that it was the dog at the end of their leash. LOL.

My Corgi is a good flusher and retriever. But I have to help it into the truck. Any dog that's waging and ready as soon as it hears the keys rattle for the gun cabinet.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    I'v really enjoyed reading this thread, lots of good opinions on the different hunting breeds and everyone is going to argue that the breed that they've chosen is the best all round bread. A few years ago I was lucky to be invited to go along on a pheasant hunting to eastern Montana, we stayed at a large motel in the small town of Plentywood, there was an other motel of equal size as well, they were both booked solid by hunters. For nominal fee you could have your dog in your room, so first thing in the morning when everybody was getting ready to go hunting you can just imagine all the but sniffing going on while you tried to get to your vehicle. I'v never seen as many different hunting bird dogs breeds, there were lots of different Pointers, Setters, Spaniels, every colour of Labs, Chesapeake's and if you were going to ask the hunters which bread was the most versatile I'm sue they would all say that it was the dog at the end of their leash. LOL.
    Hey ACB,

We've hauled our drahthaars out to that area (and others) for many years.
    We've stayed at that hotel numerous times as well as the one across the street.
    Ducks & geese in the morning & evening, pheasant, huns & sharptails mid-day.
    Let me know if you're planning on heading out that way again and we can get together.

Cheers!
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 01-29-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Hey ACB,

We've hauled our drahthaars out to that area (and others) for many years.
    We've stayed at that hotel numerous times as well as the one across the street.
    Ducks & geese in the morning & evening, pheasant, huns & sharptails mid-day.
    Let me know if you're planning on heading out that way again and we can get together.

Cheers!
    That sounds like a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    That's pretty much the way it is opening week of pheasant season in all the small towns in Northcentral and Eastern Montana. We see plates from all over the U.S. and Canada here opening week and like you say, about every breed imaginable. Motels and campgrounds are full. Unfortunately, our pheasant numbers have been steadily declining the past few years. I used to be able to go out and shoot a limit in an hour or so. Those days are long gone. I can go out now and hunt with a pair of dogs for 3 or 4 hours (about my max) and we're lucky to put up a bird or two. Many days we don't put up any at all. Fortunately our sharptail and hun numbers have been good. I'm not sure what's going on with the pheasants...probably a combination of a couple of hard winters, poor hatches, and predators. There are coons, skunks, and birds of prey everywhere these days.

What I really loved about traveling through Montana in hunting season is, you would drive through these little towns and there would be banners hung across the road saying "HUNTERS WELCOME". The people of rural Montana understand the value of hunters visiting their towns. Motels are full, dinners are full, people are buying gas, food, beer. The visitors are spending money, all because of the wildlife.

Labs, Goldens and Springers, Me too. I don't have a dog because there is a good chance it would out live the wife and I.

I had a female Vizsla for 13 seasons that was great at handling wild roosters...just her and me in a 160 or 320 acre CRP field in the late season in NE or KS many times. We did very well, even when the birds had been pressured for 2 months. Did have to run a coat on her when it got to -6*C or so and shut her down once it was -17* or colder. Not all pointers/versatiles are baffled by roosters.

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    I had a female Vizsla for 13 seasons that was great at handling wild roosters...just her and me in a 160 or 320 acre CRP field in the late season in NE or KS many times. We did very well, even when the birds had been pressured for 2 months. Did have to run a coat on her when it got to -6*C or so and shut her down once it was -17* or colder. Not all pointers/versatiles are baffled by roosters.

Never had trouble getting lots of shooting opportunities with either of my brits,,,,,and that was often after some other hunters had worked the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    That is the thing with Dogs. If you use them, and I mean use them. And the dog is smart, they find a way. Your Vizsla was hunted, and it figured it out. There are a few problems with peoples opinions and dogs for birds...
    you cant compare a dog that is hunted hard to another dog that is only jumping out of a truck to go pick up a dead ditch chicken. You cant be a guy who says " My poodle is a great flusher" and expect someone who hunts birds full time to not laugh at you. Dogs are designed to do different things and hunters have different requirements for them as well as different "levels" of hunt in them..

That is part of why Dog threads are always good!