Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best All Round Breed

The Best All Round Breed

So, has someone ever done a poll on here about the best all round breed of hunting dog? I'm thinking birds not cougar. Ducks to pheasants, quail, grouse,.......Is there a breed that does it all well? And is there a breed that's really specific?
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The Best All Round Breed

I love Labs, Goldens and Springers but IMHO any of the flushing retriever breeds are compitent for bird hunting. Springers do well on everything from Canadas to Woodcock retrieves on geese aren't pretty but they get the job done.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Pudelpointer has to be on the list.

Incredible hunting breed

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    Pudelpointer has to be on the list.

Incredible hunting breed
    Any of the well known versatiles could make the list. Pudelpointers, Deutch Drahthaars/GWP, Wire-haired Pointing Griffons, Munsterlanders. It's nice to have a dog that points all upland birds, can fetch equally well on land and water, and can hunt and track fur. Most of them have a double coat so it keeps them warm in the winter but I tnd to use a neoprene vest once the water and air temperatures drop down.

If they have good breeding like my griff their coats are such that there is minimal shedding, no allergies, and I like the size. They're very easy to train, hunt fairly close, hold birds well while on point. My female is fifty pounds so she big enough to retrieve all game birds, plus she fits nicely in the front of my 9' fly fishing pram because she goes with me all the time. Great in the house, too, except they do have a sloppy beard. LOL

Personally, I like all the bird dogs because of their gentle nature. They're great with kids, travel well, and make excellent companions!

I have had two brittany spaniels that were fabulous upland dogs,,,,didn't hunt water fowl then but I'm sure they would have been good at that, as well. This go around, my second choice was a chocolate lab but went with a griff instead,,,,but I don't think there's a bad choice with any of the dogs mentioned.
    Last edited by mastercaster; 12-31-2019 at 11:36 PM.

My brother has a wire haired griffon that’s about one year old now. I think he has the most natural talent of any dog I’ve seen. He needs a bit more taming and training, but so far I’m pretty impressed.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

German short haired pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    German short haired pointer.
    How are these dogs in icy cold water which is pretty common for the waterfowl hunting that takes place after Christmas? Do they handle the cold well?

The most versatile breed in BC could very likely be the most popular in Germany & Austria - the Deutsch Drahthaar.
    It's the breed of dog I've run for many years now so I might be a little biased.
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 01-02-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Dan,there are more DDs used than all other hunting dog breeds combined.

Rainer

Right, I saw that in one of the annual registration/testing books.

The thing is, what we consider versatile is typically a fraction of what they are doing with theirs across the pond.