Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Best All Round Breed

Re: The Best All Round Breed

I think that LG,FG and Rainer ,bring up great points ,in that breeding and bloodlines give you a much better chance at getting a higher performance dog than say the friends friend who bread the two becouse he thought they were both good dogs.Not saying that great dogs dont come out of those combinations but if you have 2 porsches odds on your going to get something better than the 2 fords.Again the ford might in his owners eyes be a great dog but what he has done to get to that position as compared to a well bred dog that picks up the training that much faster and is at a higher level with comparitevely less real time exposure as the other one can be substantial.I have experienced this in my time and have no qualms about picking a well bread dog from a reputable breeder as a starting point for a great partner.That being said have seen fords that have done exceptionally well but usually that's because most have experienced volumes of hunting and retrieving and are good just because of sheer numbers.My .02 worth

In my experience I've found that Porsches are crappy when it comes to hunting in the bush! A lot of Fords, too. haha

All I know is if I was a kid who hoped I could be a good 100/200m sprinter I'd much rather have Usain Bolt as my father and Florence Griffith Joyner as my mother than some guy who won a grade 7 five person track race in some small town. LOL

My old lab pointed if a pheasant wasn't moving. He'd hold until I released him or the pheasant ran. Thank God I had witnesses. No weak flush here as he went into the blackberries like a linebacker. On more than one occasion we went into fields (released pheasants) after guys with dogs had come out saying there were no birds in there. They were in the blackberries.

Wired purebred dog that was past my 1st time trainer skill level, that dog was born to hunt. I guess what I'm saying is that it was the breeding more than it was my training.