Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grazing lease question

Grazing lease question

Quick question about roads through Grazing Leases. When you use ImapBC, sometimes certain roads seem to be excluded from the lease. For example, I've attached a photo from ImapBC of the area around Scuitto Lake, south of Kamloops.

Is it possible to travel on those roads to get to crown land beyond them or would a person be trespassing?
    Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 5.39.54 PM.jpg 
Views:	1478 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	7718  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grazing lease question

i drive on the roads to get to crown land

Those are typically crown right-of-ways through the lease land. Drive on through.

what areas are you thinking of

Grazing leases allow applicant to run cattle on said area, no other authority, but if you hunt there respect the rules of gates.. leave them how you found them.. open or clised6
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

There's a bit of misinformation in this thread. A lease holder can, in fact, post the property as no trespassing. He/she is basically renting the property from the government and can restrict access to it as well as the roads through it. While many lease holders allow movement through their lease hold lands, others do not. You need to take it up with the specific lease holder.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/fa...2016_final.pdf

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/fa..._factsheet.pdf

From the BC Land Act.
    Right of possession to acquired Crown land

Except as otherwise provided in this Act, a person lawfully entitled to occupy Crown land under a certificate of purchase, lease, right of way, easement or licence of occupation may, for that land, take proceedings against any person for recovery of possession of, or for trespass to, the interest in the land in the same manner and to the same extent as if the person were the registered owner of the land.

Just to muddy the waters a wee bit more, a grazing lease is quite different to a grazing license. A license allows for cattle grazing, a lease is a true lease on the land.
    Last edited by Slinky Pickle; 01-01-2020 at 08:58 AM.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    There's a bit of misinformation in this thread. A lease holder can, in fact, post the property as no trespassing. He/she is basically renting the property from the government and can restrict access to it as well as the roads through it. While many lease holders allow movement through their lease hold lands, others do not. You need to take it up with the specific lease holder.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/fa...2016_final.pdf

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/fa..._factsheet.pdf

From the BC Land Act.
    Right of possession to acquired Crown land

Except as otherwise provided in this Act, a person lawfully entitled to occupy Crown land under a certificate of purchase, lease, right of way, easement or licence of occupation may, for that land, take proceedings against any person for recovery of possession of, or for trespass to, the interest in the land in the same manner and to the same extent as if the person were the registered owner of the land.

Just to muddy the waters a wee bit more, a grazing lease is quite different to a grazing license. A license allows for cattle grazing, a lease is a true lease on the land.
    I'm familiar with Grazing Licenses (RAN etc), there's been good info here on HBC regarding licenses vs leases.

I'll stir the pot a bit more, the road in question is actually a named FSR. The multiple properties that make up the lease are on either side of the FSR, and the boundaries (property lines) of the individual properties don't cover the road.

I'm thinking it's okay to travel on the road itself, I'm going to go to ServiceBC to see if they can help.

Quote Originally Posted by jamfarm View Post
    I'm familiar with Grazing Licenses (RAN etc), there's been good info here on HBC regarding licenses vs leases.

I'll stir the pot a bit more, the road in question is actually a named FSR. The multiple properties that make up the lease are on either side of the FSR, and the boundaries (property lines) of the individual properties don't cover the road.

I'm thinking it's okay to travel on the road itself, I'm going to go to ServiceBC to see if they can help.
    Forestry will also have a record of who owns what all along that road. If you don't get an answer at Service BC then check with them.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

I always understood that most roads aren't made by the holder of the lease.
    Thus, you can drive them.
    Just cant go off of them without permission.
    Also, some roads have changed from their original course, and in that case, then you are driving on lease without permission.
    That's how it was explained to me once.

But, unless we have a CO or other in position to verify it, don't take my word for it.
    Just what I was explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I always understood that most roads aren't made by the holder of the lease.
    Thus, you can drive them.
    Just cant go off of them without permission.
    Also, some roads have changed from their original course, and in that case, then you are driving on lease without permission.
    That's how it was explained to me once.

But, unless we have a CO or other in position to verify it, don't take my word for it.
    Just what I was explained.
    I have an FSR that crosses my property. The road is private and built with permission and the forest company that built the road has an easement on the land title. They are the only ones that can legally use the road (other than me). There are many roads built using this method of forest access and although it upsets a few people to see a road on crown land beyond the private property, there's often no legal way for them to get to it with a vehicle.
    Last edited by Slinky Pickle; 01-01-2020 at 05:10 PM.