Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grazing lease question

Re: Grazing lease question

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    I have an FSR that crosses my property. The road is private and built with permission and the forest company that built the road has an easement on the land title. They are the only ones that can legally use the road (other than me). There are many roads built using this method of forest access and although it upsets a few people to see a road on crown land beyond the private property, there's often no legal way for them to get to it with a vehicle.
    Okay.
    Lots of different scenarios also.
    Where I hunt mule deer, it is grazing lease, but no private property there at all (maybe off in one little corner (its a big area)
    There are roads in there, that don't cut thru private property, just grazing lease, and that was more what I was thinking.
    Your example is another issue or way it can come about.
    Appreciate the clarification.
    Thanks

And in some cases a fsr cuts through private property with the agreement of the landowner and said road is used by all to access crown land.

[QUOTE=Slinky Pickle;2142868]I have an FSR that crosses my property. The road is private and built with permission and the f
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 01-01-2020 at 06:52 PM.

The roads in question posted in the picture by the OP are excluded from the lease as a crown right-of-way, and are shown that way for a reason. You may drive on these right-of-way roads without needing permission from anyone, and only the crown would be allowed to restrict access to the road, however the land on either side is under lease and could be under access restrictions. Most roads through lease land are NOT this way. This is why the regulations state that you may be trespassing if on enclosed lease land, and you must have permission to hunt on grazing lease land while it is occupied by livestock; the lease is essentially treated as private property.

Bumping this thread up with a question.

Do you need permission to hunt on foot on a grazing lease that does not have cattle on it?
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

You cannot hunt on lease land, it gives the owners the same rights as private land owners to exclusive use, at least while they hold the lease. Land controlled under a license gives them the right to graze cattle in the land but does not allow them to restrict other uses. That being said, you cannot hunt on license land when their are cows on the land and it is during the period that they are allowed to graze their cattle. One thing I’m not clear on is what is means by when cattle are present. Does it mean anywhere on the lease or in the same area that you are hunting. Anyone else know the answer to that?

On any Grazing Lease, you require permission to hunt on it at any point. It is basically treated like private land and access can be restricted.
    Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    Bumping this thread up with a question.

Do you need permission to hunt on foot on a grazing lease that does not have cattle on it?

The distinguishing point between Grazing Licenses and Grazing Leases. Grazing Licenses are authorized under the Range Act in two forms of tenures, most frequently as Licenses and less frequently as permits, and these authorizations start with "RAN" followed by six digits, as an example "RAN123456" as it appears on IMapBC under the "Active range tenures". Whereas, Grazing Leases are authorized under the Lands Act and identified as just as a number, as example "#12345" as identified in IMapBC. Grazing Licenses/Permits only authorizes the tenure holder the right to the forage for grazing purposes and thus can not restrict other natural resource users from accessing the landbase. Even if cattle are actively grazing on a license/permit area, access can not be restricted. Pending on region in bc, most active grazing occurs from mid April to end of October. Whereas, Grazing Leases is another complex tenuring system, the leasee has the "right to quiet enjoyment" what that means is up for interpretation, the leasee also pays taxes on the landbase. If there are gazetted right of ways (such as public road infrastructure or FSR's) through the grazing lease, then access should not be denied as noted in IMapbc. If at anytime you are unsure, refer to your mapping of location and or talk to the local rancher to do your due diligence so you are not in the wrong.

This is very informative. I'm glad I stopped by this thread. Thank you.