Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How stormy is too stormy?

How stormy is too stormy?

Hey everyone. New to waterfowl hunting. I live on Vancouver Island and am mostly hunting estuaries so far. This weekend a few buddies and myself are planning an overnight trip to one of our spots. It’s got a protected bay with some good little holes for the ducks/geese to come in and hang out. It’s supposed to horrible weather this weekend with big winds and a major downpour. I was curious if there’s such a thing as too stormy while waterfowl hunting?

From reading multiple posts I have read you should lead with a joke before asking for advice on the forum, so here’s a doozie.

Two fish are in a tank, one pipes up and asks “How do you even drive this thing?”

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How stormy is too stormy?

Is there such a thing as to many ducks?? Nope, never to stormy, perfect weather for ducks.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

To stormy is when you can't take it anymore, birds aren't moving when its windy, none there move on, tell a few more jokes,
    HNY

Hunting is only a addiction if your trying to quit.

Hate to disagree with you but wind is your friend when duck hunting. Drives them off open water and they flay like crazy looking for calmer water. The best shoots I have ever had over the years were on gale warning days. The key to duck hunting success is tough it out a little longer.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Agree with Foxton, love those windy days and have had some of my best shoots when the wind is howling and pissing rain. The only time we do better is when the temps drop and freeze all the water in the fields. Any open water in the estuaries fill with ducks fast.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-31-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Agree with Foxton, love those windy days and have had some of my best shoots when the wind is howling and pissing rain. The only time we do better is when the temps drop and freeze all the water in the fields. Any open water in the estuaries fill with ducks fast.
    Had a day like that this year. All the ditches and puddle water was frozen right up when we had that real cold snap a month or so ago. We had our 16 birds by 9:00. The 1/4 inch ice that was frozen above the trampled down marsh grass was tough on the dogs, though. It was sharp like glass so when they broke through with each step they had to go through it pretty gingerly.

Sure wish geese had been opened because we had a couple of groups of Canadas that came over head so low that we felt we could have swatted them down if we had fishing rods with us. lol

Last edited by mastercaster; 12-31-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RICKADY View Post
    To stormy is when you can't take it anymore, birds aren't moving when its windy, none there move on, tell a few more jokes,
    HNY

Hunting is only a addiction if your trying to quit.

Two eggs were in a boiling pot of water. One pipes up and says “Im having a little difficulty getting hard. I just got laid a little while ago.”

I appreciate everyone’s responses. We will be attempting an overnighter and braving the weather. Is there any basic strategy when in that terrible weather? High tide will be our friend at first light and lots of rain and wind. We will be blinded up in a small tree batch in a little bay. We don’t have many decoys (6 total) so we are limited in that aspect and so far I’m only good at the basic quack and half assed at the greeting call. Last week the basic quack was all it took in mediocre weather.

It’s too stormy when it is not safe on the water. Check the weather and the tides and then make the call

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecas...3&siteID=14305

No such thing as too stormy, but hunt the leading edge of the storm! Birds will find their happy place a few hours after it starts and shooting will slow up! K