Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Buck

Cool 2018 Buck

Not alot to this one. I got lucky and i'll take it. I slept in on rememberance day 2018 and headed out around 2pm for an evening walk. Starting up an old road I stirred something up just off the road so I stalk into this thick timber brush rock outcrop and there is a deer bed i am now standing in, and a doe just below and we are looking at each other. She kinda fusses about until she finds away out of these little bluffy cliffs and heads to the road, stalls a moment, then hustles up the road same direction i am headed. Ok, cool. Deer right off the bat. I continue up the old spur. I hear a diesel truck coming up a lower road....

Doe. Take note of that tail.

I round the corner of the road - this is where Deer Zone begins - scan the timber along the ridge a bit. It is sunny out, almost warm, snow free on this side of the slope. Then right there on the timber edge maybe 50 meters away, obscured by some brush and a fir tree is a buck looking back down at me. I know it is a buck because i could just see enough frame, right main beam had had some width. Didn't think twice, gun up, pick a spot and fire. Buck dropped hard and slid out of sight.... I can hear he is back up.... I reload and start up the hill, storming through two Does that were right in front of me, didn't noticed them there at all, they didn't spoke after the shot. I'm at timber edge and I catch the buck back up in the timber across this little bowl in this knife ridge, (ei. there is little double ridge in this spot, with a depression in between). He is hit hard and done, none the less on his feet. Another one and he drops again and slides into the bowl and comes to a rest. I deem one more necessary to end it quickly.

I am stoked because I can tell this will be my best (and easiest) deer out of here yet.

So I figured when I jumped that doe out of her bed, there was that other doe and this buck up further into the timber, and that there was a good chance that when diesel truck that drove by it might have kept those deer stalled up along the timber edge or pushed them to it, or the buck held up to collect his girls. Either way i got lucky.

Tail

This is still a young deer, I figured likely 3 yrs old. Not sure about everyone else, but that moment you have just before you take an animal seems to just burn into your memory. Fun times.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2018 Buck

Congrats! Way to get it done.

Nice buck thanks for sharing

Nice story and a nice deer !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Nice buck, sounds like you took your time and maybe a little help/luck.
    Congrats

Great buck,
    I'm thinking he is closer to 5 tho... year 1 Spike year 2 fork. 3 years seems was too fast to put a good 4x4 on a Blacktail. That said, I don't live near Hope!

Nice BT thanks for the share

You sir had a good season congrats

Nice blacktail buck, always wished I had got 1 for myself when I lived beyond hope, a long ling time ago.lol

Nice BT!.........