Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf hunt cougar

Wolf hunt cougar

I have been out on the sled looking for wolf sign.The way to get around here.You can cover a lot of ground.I located an old wolf kill.I think there are 4 in the pack.The sign was a day old so off we went trying to find where they moved to.Kept cutting their tracks on different logging roads.Found the most recent sign a few miles away.Set up and did some calling late in the day.No luck this time but we did locate several lynx tracks and three separate cougar tracks.

I was given a moose road kill.I dragged it behind the sled to spread some scent around.I call this trolling.Dragged it to my spot and left it there for wolf bait.I'll tell you how I do this.I have used this spot several times over the years so animals get used to dropping by.I have seen wolves,coyotes,fox.lynx,wolverine,marten and lots of birds such as ravens,eagles and magpies etc. on the bait in the past.My spot is fairly remote so somebody else is not likely to stumble across it

.Where I spot the carcass has easy access for predators that is private with cover a short distance away.Just a few jumps and out of sight.My shooting spot is at least 200 yards from the bait.It is also elevated so I'm shooting down hill a bit.Very important to be able to sneak into my spot with the wind in my favour and undetected by the birds.If the birds locate you the wolves if nearby chewing on a bone in the bush will not come in.I have a shooting lane about 50 yards wide or less.

I have got 2 coyotes in one shot but not on the wolves.The wolves are super wary.I always go to my spot alone.If something screws up it is my fault.So I sneak into my spot and lay down in the snow about an hour or so before dusk.I have a small log I rest my rifle on pointed at the bait so if something is there when I get there or something comes in when I'm waiting there is very little movement on my part and I am ready to shoot.I have had a wolf or coyote come out of the bush to chase the birds away and the birds are flying all around me even landing in a tree very close by and never spot me.This time I get to my spot a have a little peak from behind a tree before I lay down and crawl to my spot and nothing!Not even a Jay or Wiskey Jack.

I wait and wait and it is getting late,thinking no dice today.I am looking carefully in the bush for movement and then back at the moose carcass just like a ghost this great big cougar appears.Just watching him move around was so cool.They are so deliberate every move they make.Not like wolves or coyotes dancing around always looking to see danger.He lays down with his butt facing me.Hoping he gets up now that I am behind my rifle ready to shoot before I loose my light.

My scope is adjusted for 200 yards on 10 power.The big old tom cat stands and is slightly quartering away from me with his head down trying to pull a piece of meat off the half frozen moose carcass.I always try to take the first shot that presents itself.My crosshairs are as steady as a rock on his shoulder figuring the bullet will exit his neck.Click Pow.Down he goes in an instant.I jack another round in the chamber ready for more action if necessary.Laying there looking through my scope I saw his long tail twitch a couple of times on the tip then relax.

Now that was cool.I walk back on my trail to my sled then circle down to the carcass.Wow,what a critter.The power these cats must have looking at the muscle structure.I'm looseing my light now.Trying to load this cat on my sled by myself was a chore.
    When I arrived home a friend a friend showed up.He has hunted lots of cats and figured this one is an easy 150 lbs.
    Last edited by Gateholio; 12-31-2019 at 07:52 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolf hunt cougar

Awesome!

Your experience is paying off for you! Well done

[IMG]file:///home/chronos/u-6e05caa8f36c4f3403ba7f6e632ba3a3478bd24f/MyFiles/Downloads/DSCF4602%20-%20Edited.jpg[/IMG]I am trying to get a picture on here
    It says my quota of pictures is at maximum.I only have one but it must be too large.I don't know how to delete the picture file so I can't get you guys a photo.Sorry 'bout that.
    Last edited by xlcc; 12-31-2019 at 05:52 PM.

good stuff!

that why i always get tagged up...have gotten an elk while WT deer hunting cuz i had an elk tag with me just in case...and missed a chance on a big tom cougar when not carrying a cougar tag while mulie hunting

Great story, would love to see a pic!

Maybe someone can help you host it and post it?

PS I edited your post a bit to give it some paragraphs and easier to read. I've found more people engage when it's easier to read, hope you don't mind!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Well done! Feel free to PM me for my email, I can post it for you if you want...

Great story love to see the pics.....

Thumbs up Re: Wolf hunt cougar

Here's the picture Folks:

Beauty Cat!!! Congrats!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

That's one nice cat, congrats on a job well done.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit