Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: It Boils Me To No End Regarding Wolves Numbers..

Re: It Boils Me To No End Regarding Wolves Numbers..

I had a biologist tell me once that wolves have very little impact on ungulate numbers in healthy ecosystems (eg) mature timber, steep terrain, blowdown. In other words good escape terrain and cover. He also said that the increase in preds is directly linked to our activity on the landscape. Logging is what brought in the moose logging is what artificially bumped up the deer population in the 50s and 60s. ... moderate logging that is I mean selective logging of fir the pine and spruce back in the day was considered garbage and piled and burnt. I know because my grandfather had a portable mill operating in and around Kamloops in the 50s and 60s. But now we’ve altered the land scape to such a point that it now benefits the predators. In other words we’ve gone to far in the other direction. Argue all you want but we created this problem and until our forests return to a moderate state of growth you won’t see predators numbers drop... but they will drop on their own given time. But in the mean while we’re going to be waiting a long while for that to occur. It’s unfortunate but it’s the truth. We over log we over fish we over harvest all in the name of greed. We need to get rid of the attitude of if I don’t do it someone else will, do I may as well do it!!! Just my two cents but I’m sure some one will slam me for speaking the truth and I’m fine with that
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyduck View Post
    LBM what makes you the EXPERT??
    That's funny.

Every other beer parlour biologist chimes in but as soon someone provides another opinion you jump on him?

Quote Originally Posted by MontyLake View Post
    That's funny.

Every other beer parlour biologist chimes in but as soon someone provides another opinion you jump on him?
    I resemble that remark lol I’m getting thirsty now! Thanks a lot .. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    I had a biologist tell me once....
    How could this biologist possible know that is correct?

Since the bad whit man came to North America, when have wolves not been kept at a minimum number, except for in very recent times?

Why have large National Parks, Banff and Jasper for example, seen huge prey population collapses (90%) after wolves returned in numbers despite having untouched habitat and minimal human disturbance, and these prey populations are staying depressed for decades now.

This biologist was just making stuff up.

Remember, and EVERY biologist must know this, there is No such thing as Balance in Nature....

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    How could this biologist possible know that is correct?

Since the bad whit man came to North America, when have wolves not been kept at a minimum number, except for in very recent times?

Why have large National Parks, Banff and Jasper for example, seen huge prey population collapses (90%) after wolves returned in numbers despite having untouched habitat and minimal human disturbance, and these prey populations are staying depressed for decades now.

This biologist was just making stuff up.

Remember, and EVERY biologist must know this, there is No such thing as Balance in Nature....
    The game has no where to go in those places because of human habitation and highways easy pickings for preds ... vehicle collisions kill more game than hunting and preds every year

Well my understanding from what I’ve read and been told. Is that on Van Island logging/over logging/ bad logging practices, had a huge role to play in the explosion of wolf numbers and the crash in the deer pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Well my understanding from what I’ve read and been told. Is that on Van Island logging/over logging/ bad logging practices, had a huge role to play in the explosion of wolf numbers and the crash in the deer pop.
    Have we learned anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Have we learned anything?
    I agree logging opening up back roads excess helps big time for wolfs to run the roads areas whee I hunt here in the EK new roads from logging practices the roads a covered with wolf tracks traveling the roads

Videos tells all.https://youtu.be/Zvp_GKRGD8k

..This video clip is taken on an old logging road that has been there as long as I can remember over 50 years old wolves travel the old roads https://youtu.be/B2_HHZuRFs0
    Last edited by hunter1947; 02-16-2020 at 05:40 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I agree logging opening up back roads excess helps big time for wolfs to run the roads areas whee I hunt here in the EK new roads from logging practices the roads a covered with wolf tracks traveling the roads

Videos tells all.https://youtu.be/Zvp_GKRGD8k

..This video clip is taken on an old logging road that has been there as long as I can remember over 50 years old wolves travel the old roads https://youtu.be/B2_HHZuRFs0
    Wow quite the video well done and thanks for bringing this to our attention. Someone needs to send this to the Ministry..

On second thoughts they will probably want to make it a park..