Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: It Boils Me To No End Regarding Wolves Numbers..

Re: It Boils Me To No End Regarding Wolves Numbers..

Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Been out 3 times in the past two weeks trying to bag a wolf no luck so far
    Have you been out any more or seen any sign on your shed hunts.

Wow that website makes me sick

More " Idiots " who think there ALWAYS right - RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    With deep non-compacted snow, they will travel plowed roads, packed sled trails and frozen rivers.

Should narrow things down a bit at the moment

SSS
    Rain has made the snow almost impenetrable around here, 20-25" supports 220+ lbs, one out of ten steps breaks through
    Dog and cat track everywhere, deer limited to trails, not a good scenario
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Frickin joke, did you folks notice mailing address NY... So i thought i would send them a message and explain why this is a brilliant idea for once from our govt, hell even told them that it saves a ton of money so hopefully we can accomplish more. I also sent them some real nice pictures of wolves that were harvested by myself and a few friends for their viewing pleasure and also told them to F Off and stick to their own Country and State....still waiting for a reply.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDog View Post
    The elk population in Colorado, a state less than half the size of BC, is somewhere around 280,000 elk. That's roughly 7 times as many as in B.C. There can be little doubt that one jurisdiction does a better job of managing elk herds than the other. Here, in the east Kootenay, populations have decreased by over 50%; not because of wolves. GD
    A big difference between Colorado and BC is their amount of aspen. While they understand that elk and deer need winter feed, BC pretends like eating isn't important for elk. In BC aspen is seen as a weed and sprayed extensively with "Round Up", and as a result our ungulate numbers continue to drop. If you were out hunting for elk, would you be looking in an area with lots of feed (aspen/willow), or a solid pine monoculture ????The western states have such high game numbers because they work to improve their forests by aggressively thinning conifers to promote aspen habitat while in BC exactly the opposite occurs. Our government requires forest companies to kill off aspen groves if they are bigger than a certain size. BC's forestry regulations does what it can to starve our herds and promote large fires. The end result is that BC has smaller and smaller herds every year and bigger and bigger fires. I think BC sprayed 16000 hectares of aspen last year and will do the same this year. American game managers would not believe what happens up here. They have been spraying yearly since the 70's, about the same time our game numbers started to drop. There is absolutely no reason why BC can't have the same or higher game numbers per acre as the best of the rocky mountain states. Everyone jumps on the wolf population when in fact it's the forest companies and government that is really causing the dramatic drop in numbers.
    https://www.rmef.org/elk-network/elk...tish-columbia/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btgV_ONUPmI
    https://csfs.colostate.edu/colorado-...t-types/aspen/
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...year-1.4907358
    Last edited by scott h; 02-09-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    A big difference between Colorado and BC is their amount of aspen. While they understand that elk and deer need winter feed, BC pretends like eating isn't important for elk. In BC aspen is seen as a weed and sprayed extensively with "Round Up", and as a result our ungulate numbers continue to drop. If you were out hunting for elk, would you be looking in an area with lots of feed (aspen/willow), or a solid pine monoculture ????The western states have such high game numbers because they work to improve their forests by aggressively thinning conifers to promote aspen habitat while BC exactly the opposite and actively does what it can to starve our herds and promote large fires. The end result is that BC has smaller and smaller herds every year and bigger and bigger fires. I think BC sprayed 16000 hectares of aspen last year and will do the same this year. American game managers would not believe what happens up here. They have been spraying yearly since the 70's, about the same time our game numbers started to drop. There is absolutely no reason why BC can't have the same or higher game numbers per acre as the best of the rocky mountain states. Everyone jumps on the wolf population when in fact it's the forest companies and government that is really causing the dramatic drop in numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btgV_ONUPmI
    https://csfs.colostate.edu/colorado-...t-types/aspen/
    I agree with this. We have put too much effort into growing pine for the forest companies and too little effort into looking after wildlife habitat and wildlife in general. Add to this the groups which are actively anti-elk (like the cattlemen) and those who demend access over all and we are not helping wildlife any. GD