Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: It Boils Me To No End Regarding Wolves Numbers..

Re: It Boils Me To No End Regarding Wolves Numbers..

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDog View Post
    I agree with this. We have put too much effort into growing pine for the forest companies and too little effort into looking after wildlife habitat and wildlife in general. Add to this the groups which are actively anti-elk (like the cattlemen) and those who demend access over all and we are not helping wildlife any. GD
    It's really an embarrassment for a land base as large and diverse as BC , that our game populations are as low as what they are. Our numbers of hunters drop every year mostly in response to the worsening numbers of game animals. We've let our province turn into nothing more than a pine plantation, that frequently just burns anyways.

Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Interesting that Idaho borders BC, is only 20% the size of BC, and yet has 400% more elk than BC. Yes they are looking at controlling wolves, BUT they (like all elk states) actively work to keep their aspen trees thriving specifically for their wildlife value. BC on the other hand has been poisoning off aspen trees for decades and trying to put the decreasing elk, deer and moose numbers onto the number of wolves. Our ungulate numbers have been falling for a long time, certainly longer than the recent increase in wolf numbers. By all means go out and hunt wolves, but unless BC forestry practices change, it won't make any difference......
    https://www.rmef.org/elk-network/RME...ElkPopulation/

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    Interesting that Idaho borders BC, is only 20% the size of BC, and yet has 400% more elk than BC. Yes they are looking at controlling wolves, BUT they (like all elk states) actively work to keep their aspen trees thriving specifically for their wildlife value. BC on the other hand has been poisoning off aspen trees for decades and trying to put the decreasing elk, deer and moose numbers onto the number of wolves. Our ungulate numbers have been falling for a long time, certainly longer than the recent increase in wolf numbers. By all means go out and hunt wolves, but unless BC forestry practices change, it won't make any difference......
    For Christ's sake Scott, stop making sense.

Yes and you will never convince most of this, they see a wolf, cat, or bear track and that's all they think of and blame, and most doing this are not even out there enough to have a clue what is going on.
    Yes there is some areas in B.C. that may have wolf issues but lots don't. We have yet to find a wolf kill this year, lots of human kills and the wolves are feeding on some of those, and come spring or fall
    when others find the bones the first thing they will say is killed by predator but its not the case.

Same thing is happening in Manitoba. They make your big game tag able to take a Wolf in addition to the animal the tag applies to, but it isn’t sufficient to decrease the population to manageable numbers. They are decimating the big game species in some areas.
    It takes 14-19 deer per year, per wolf. With only about 7-8 wolves in a pack, that’s a lot of deer for a modest number of canines. The tracks are everywhere, and so are the remains of their kill. But the actual big game animals have been reduced significantly in many areas.

I remember posting about the forestry poisoning aspen trees, just to have a bunch of bone heads here jump all over me!!

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Yes and you will never convince most of this, they see a wolf, cat, or bear track and that's all they think of and blame, and most doing this are not even out there enough to have a clue what is going on.
    Yes there is some areas in B.C. that may have wolf issues but lots don't. We have yet to find a wolf kill this year, lots of human kills and the wolves are feeding on some of those, and come spring or fall
    when others find the bones the first thing they will say is killed by predator but its not the case.
    LBM what makes you the EXPERT??