Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to start tying Chironomids

Re: Time to start tying Chironomids

Hmmm Togens flytying chronomid parts, hooks arrived..can organize it on Sunday. .start tying Monday.
    hmmm I think 3/32 is my main sized bead ?
    Srupp

I also use very small beads.

Split shot for weight to keep everything down...one very small piece 18' above the fly then a larger piece above my swivel which would be about 24" above the small splitshot.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm Togens flytying chronomid parts, hooks arrived..can organize it on Sunday. .start tying Monday.
    hmmm I think 3/32 is my main sized bead ?
    Srupp
    3/32" is typical for size 14

My wife and I are taking a
    4 week Fly Tying course at Sea Run Fly and Tackle starting this Sunday

Tie some real flies eh.

".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Hmmmmm very nice tying...thank you for sharing yet another talent...
    Cheers
    steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmmmm very nice tying...thank you for sharing yet another talent...
    Cheers
    steven
    Yup. Just not another pretty face.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Tying some up now that power is back on.

Whats everyones favorite pattern?

Wish mine was cooler but it fishes like crazy.

Size 16
    Iron Gray thread body
    Either gun metal holo rib or black wire...sometimes both.
    Small black bead head
    Very thin the whole way with limited taper.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    Tying some up now that power is back on.

Whats everyones favorite pattern?

Wish mine was cooler but it fishes like crazy.

Size 16
    Iron Gray thread body
    Either gun metal holo rib or black wire...sometimes both.
    Small black bead head
    Very thin the whole way with limited taper.
    Hmmm seen a bunch of that pattern last spring..cant say I have even heard of holo rib wire ?
    Google gun metal grey chronomid..and update on gun metal grey shootout..Togens chrony skin..black bead tungston..red extra small wire rib..coated with thin resin.... ULTRAVIOLET formula by Loon..thin taper size # 16.
    Will have some tied by Tuesday.however I am not up to the skill level of Rieber..or Muscrat hesitant to open up to comments...obviously Dennis is very skilled tier also.
    cheers tight lines
    Srupp

A couple people have asked me how I cut my anti-static bags into strips for wrapping chironomids. I figure a couple pictures will best describe what I do.

First - take a small stack of single side razor blades, line them up and then clamp them in a vise-grip pliers. After the first time you do this you'll learn how to angle the blades to make your cutting easy. Clamp the vise-grip in a bench vise or just use a C-clamp and clamp this to your benchtop/table.

Cut your piece of AS bag keeping in mind that you cut your bag to provide you a strip that is enough to wrap one chironomid - or make them longer if you want. Angle your AS piece and keep the sheet tightly spread apart. Starting about a 1/2" away from the bottom of the AS sheet, lower the sheet over the corner of the blades - pierce the sheet and pull the sheet down to within 1/2" to the top of the sheet. If you don't cut all the way through the end of the sheet, you'll contain all your strips and your supply is nice and neat and you just nip off the strip you want.

Repeat the strip cutting across the sheet. Don't try make your cuts too close together or you'll just make a mess. Prepare the the pieces you want to cut and you can make yourself a lifetime worth of strips within 15 minutes. The nice thing about this method is it's speed and strip width consistency. I find these strips are perfect for size 16 or larger chiro's. I do this so frequently for tying that I keep the blades clamped in the vise-grips and I just store the assembly in a container until with my supplies until I need it again.

This is what I like to do. I know the ruler and razor blade or pizza-cutter type of material cutter is also preferred by others. Whatever works best for you is all that matters.

Hope this helps someone.