Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to start tying Chironomids

Re: Time to start tying Chironomids

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Hello Steven ....I'm the guy that gave you the pattern for those Chironomids ...I use daiichi 1710 -2xl hooks ...I tye some chironomids with gills and some without gills...If tying gills put the large hole of the bead towards the eye...If no gills then put the small hole towards the eye...I find that I have to force all beads on the hook ..I buy my beads from Canadian Llama ...I use tungsten ..dull black ....I dont pinch the barb on my hooks ...I haven't used 5/64 th beads on my size 16 chironomids ....I know some guys use 5/64th beads but I have not found it necessary ...The pattern is tyed by many on Stillwaters with 3/16 th beads and they like it ...Sometimes a little persuasion is all you need ...Dennis
    HI DENNIS. .certainly WONDERFUL to hear from you. Lol your pattern is safe on my Regal vice..
    hope your wife is better ?
    I contacted the seller..who checked with BC flyguys..should not have to pinch barbs..
    however not only 5/64 but 3/32 wouldnt fit on daiichi or Togens #16 2xl hook..
    Thank you gents appreciate the help..insights...
    Dennis THANK YOU for taking the time to help me with chronomid fishing. .tactics..set up..patterns.
    Cheers
    Steven

Hmmmm all beads are being shipped as NFG....err defective..
    3 days is enough aggrivation...
    Thank you guys for insights..and suggestions.
    Much appreciated.

Pissed

Quote Originally Posted by Liveforthehunt View Post
    It will change your entire outlook on fishing sir it's something special .
    Cool, I look forward to it...

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmmm all beads are being shipped as NFG....err defective..
    3 days is enough aggrivation...
    Thank you guys for insights..and suggestions.
    Much appreciated.

Pissed
    I know they sell different levels of beads as well...the cheaper bottom of the line version are more inconsistent...believe it even says that on the web page. I force them on with my thumb nail rather than pinch barbs...unfortunately some are still to tight so I switch and try again. I'll be left qith a few tight ones but at least I'm pinching as few barbs as possible at the desk.

Also when the bead slips on after a bit of pressure I stab myself in the end of the thumb pretty regularly lol. Nothing past the barb...yet.

Oh Steven just a little tidbit...I use a small needle nose to hold the beads then push the hook through the hole in the bead ..I've not had much trouble with the 3/16 th beads and havent used the 5/64ths ...Good luck on the bench and tight lines this spring and summer ...Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Oh Steven just a little tidbit...I use a small needle nose to hold the beads then push the hook through the hole in the bead ..I've not had much trouble with the 3/16 th beads and havent used the 5/64ths ...Good luck on the bench and tight lines this spring and summer ...Dennis
    Good tip Elknut - I've done the same with my barb pinching pliers which are flat-no teeth so the beads don't get marred up. Still this is extra work which shouldn't have to be done with these beads.
    Last edited by Rieber; 01-08-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks guys..300 beads is a lot of hassel to return..however store is going to expedite this return..AND check this batch is going to fit.
    Great tip on the needle nose..may just get a small pair and put a thin coat of shoe goo..so beads dont get marred.
    Cheers
    Steven

Hmmm tried non tungston beads.from same supplier...WORKED FLAWLESSLY, EFFORTLESSLY, PERFECTLY.seems the issue is limited to tungston beads..both white and black.
    thanks so much guys..really lost my cool over the past several days on something that was supposed to be relaxing..usually is.
    Dennis if your ever planning on visiting the Pond..give me a heads up for me to put on coffee.
    Srupp

Here's my second box for 2020:

Hmmm great tying..ive got 15 beads on hooks in 3 days.., grrrr
    Tommorow I look for single razor blades as per Riebers tip..might as well cut bags waiting...
    Thank you Rieber for tips and your inspirational full fly box photos. ..
    Hope to actually tie some chronies..and share my efforts..maybe..lol
    Steven