Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Time to start tying Chironomids

Re: Time to start tying Chironomids

Srupp...Some suggestions and shared issues from what you described...

1. While I do order stuff from Togens I stopped ordering their tungsten beads. I find for the most part the hole sizes are way to varied and mostly on the too small size. I use 2x wire for most of my c-mids as I find the 1x just bend out too easy with fish. My fave hook is the 1120 Daiichi or the 1760 as described above. You can still obtain a very slim profile with a 2x wire and they will never bend or break. I order almost all of my beads from either canadian llama out of Kamloops or a seller out of Abbotsford on Ebay known as Hardy Deluxe. I have had zero issues with either, although Hardy Deluxe is cheaper and he often throws in free stuff. Both are very fast to ship out. I find the bead quality and color finish from both these places superior to togens. You will not have the problem that you are with the beads from these sellers. Check out the coffee colored beads from either, work very well. My formula is 3/32 on sz 12, 5/64 on sz 14, 5/64 on sz 16, and usually 5/64 on sz 18. I very rarely tie 20's but have about a half dozen in the box, usually something in green or a limey. If I am doing a pattern I tie at minimum 3 different sizes. usually 16-12. I do have some 10's and 8's but find in the cariboo that a 12 is about as big as the cmids get.

2. If using Togen hooks I had a batch where the shape of the hook made it difficult to get any bead on. I forget the model but they were a scud hook. I also found it very difficult to pinch the barb on them. As much as they are cheap I personally don't like the quality. Again llama and hardy deluxe have lots of hook options.

3. As for cutting asb I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Westcott-Titan.../dp/B00CQ43I0C

As asb is rather stiff to work with you want to get as narrow/straight as a profile as possible. Once you get the hang of it you will get a desired cut. I find if the asb is too wide of a profile it just builds up the body too much. Experiment with your underbodies, like buzzer wrap, green thread, blue thread, etc. Asb cmids were really the ticket for me last year. Just don't overlap the asb too much as you want it to have that dull chromy look with the underbody color coming through when changing angles. I find people get hung up on the usual chromies but if inspected carefully the chromie cmid often has an underbody color that if you can match appropriately will make you the envy of the lake! Obviously a throat pump is a must.

4. For wire options I use extra small gauge or flybox micro wire on all my cmids no matter the size. I find small to be to be too thick and stands out too much...just a me thing perhaps but a cmid rib does not protrude out. I will also use thread as a rib in sz 8/0 as it will blend in very well with the taper and body. 6-8 even spaced wraps and I like to add a couple wraps extra at the bottom for a bloody look (when using red).

5. I tie some with gills and some with none..just depends on what I am tying. My fave bead with gills is black nickel, almost all my hooks cmids with gills are black nickel beads. Antron or uni stretch can be used..although I prefer uni stretch. White beads will often imitate a gill or sometimes a white bead will work better.

6. Not sure what you are coating your cmids with. I used to primarily use Sally Hansen nail polish but found over time it would crack and the cmid would not last all that long. I have switched to uv resin and use bug bond or solarez. Get a good uv torch to cure the resin!. I find it gives the cmid a very nice glass look and it will last a very long time. It will sometimes darken the fly but I have found it makes it look better in most cases.

7. Get some ideas from Youtube on patterns. BC Fly guys, interior fly fishing, John Kent, Chan/Rowley all have clips available.

I am sure you might know a lot of what I typed out but just my 2 cents for things that work for me! Fishing them is a different story...its not just watching a bobber imo.
    Last edited by Cyrus; 01-08-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Steven Rupp....Will do ...Take care ...Dennis

Just thought I would put this out there for information on bead size to hook size..Google ....Bead size to hook size ..Info comes up from various websites ..The most informative one is Canadian Llama ...They post up name and number of hook manufactures and bead size ..It depends on you as to what bead size will fit ..3/32 is a crossover for 16-18 and 14 ...I wouldnt use 3/32 on an 18.....5/64ths can go on a 16 and an 18 ...Check it out for yourself ...What works for you is the correct answer...Tight lines Dennis...

Thanks Dennis.talked with Kent this morning.APPRECIATE the time to once again share your knowledge, experience and obvious skills..thanks for dragging me along..lol
    cheers
    Srupp

Just finished another box of 16's:

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Just finished another box of 16's:

Hmmm beautiful work ..impressive..im actually finishing 2 weeks of SFA..waiting for beads..
    Just a waste of time..wire, thread, resin, led cure light..hooks...etc etc..
    Oh well as my dentist always says...SPIT happens...grrr
    Well done Riber..
    Cheers
    srupp

I'm closing in on 300 now... almost finished the box...all with black beads and gills.

Two things... don't use antron for the gills, doesn't look white once in the water, pick yourself up some cuticle scissors for trimming, you'll thank me later.

Pretty impressive chironomids Reiber ...Looks like you will do very good catching ....Lol..Stupid question ....Do you use all those chironomids ?....I find I use a very few patterns now...The days of boxes of patterns has gone down ..Anyway tight lines ...Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Pretty impressive chironomids Reiber ...Looks like you will do very good catching ....Lol..Stupid question ....Do you use all those chironomids ?....I find I use a very few patterns now...The days of boxes of patterns has gone down ..Anyway tight lines ...Dennis
    This year I'm primarily just tying specific patterns for a few lakes that I fish with a couple friends. They don't tie and since I enjoy it as a hobby, I like wrapping up a few for us and a few friends that happen to come along or stop by. I also get requests from various websites to buy some chiros and I purged my boxes and given away a ton of flies to kids (at least I was told they were going to their kids. lol. ) I also end up trading a lot of flies for hunting stuff that guys are selling - I like trading flies for goods - kind of fun and opens up a lot of conversations about locations and timing. Also kind of fun when you're hammering fish but you see a guy struggling. I'll often give a guy a bunch of flies and a little intel and then get an absolute charge when he starts hooting and hollering as he's suddenly into fish - it's an awesome feeling when others are catching fish on flies I've tied. Really nice for me and this has taken the sport to another level of pride and enjoyment for me.

I will experiment with different materials and colours at times because it's amazing how much a subtle change will turn a an okay day to a seriously awesome day. This is why you'll see a number of variants of the same basic pattern.

I just picked up some of that Blue Steel chirony wrap so I've been tying bugs with that over the past couple days. We'll see what the hype was all about. Whenever I tried to buy it last year the inventory was gone. I do like how the chiros are coming out brighter than the ASB strips I was using. ASB always seems to produce but we've been observing brighter looking bugs and this might be the answer. I'll keep switch up between reloading and fly tying to keep me entertained in the early mornings and while relaxing in the evenings. By the time the lakes start fishing, I'll have way more flies that we can ever use.

It's also easy for me as I have a room dedicated to my tying and reloading so I don't have to worry about my desk disturbed which let's me walk away from the desk or pick right up where I left off at any given moment. Sometimes just waiting for dinner I'll go spin off half a dozen flies and pretty soon another box is filled.

Hmmm read the BCFLYGUYS gun metal shootout..best 5 materials ..Togens chrony skin came out on top for their evaluation.
    I picked up razer blades today to do the Rieber ASB cut up..lol..
    I do what you do..roll top desk..can walk away nothing gets touched..
    Currently fresh rooster thawing..will boax and dry mid week..
    Eventually I will be allowed to tie chronies..lol
    Was looking at updating my minnow patterns too hmmmmmm
    cheers
    Steven