Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to start tying Chironomids

Re: Time to start tying Chironomids

Hmmm Houston we have a problem..
    Tried putting a 2mm 5/64 bead on #16 hook..no go..neither would a 2.4mm 3/32 bead fit a #16 ..
    What the heck am I doing wrong? 2 hrs not 1 bead on hook grrrrrrr
    Thank you.
    Simple Steven

When I was a kid growing up alongside Penticton Creek, I fished it pretty much on a daily basis when there was no ice covering it. Which was most often. I fished the creek with a little 5' solid fiberglass rod and a little bait casting reel (sort of looked like a level wind but without the level wind). The line was braided and had about 4' of monofilament attached to the end. I attached a little round float, the ones with the spring loaded line grasper and then a fly or maybe a hook with worms. I would peel off a quantity of line and drop it to my feet and then taking the rod, I would drop the float about 1' below the tip and cast it out and then stay focused on the bobber (float) waiting in anticipation for the thing to dip anticipating the strike. In the creek, float would drift down the creek away and then have to be retrieved and the process repeated. Fishing this method in the lake was another matter. Since there was no stream flow except for wind drift, there was not reason to retrieve the line so one would just sit back and watch for that anticipated strike. So why am I writing this? Chironomid fishing in my mind is simply float fishing. Do chironomid fishers ever have to "mend" the line? To them, mending the line means watch that little float for some movement. Sorry guys, but that the way I see it.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Hmm yes there is a different way....either forget the bobber..corkie float. .or not..cast out..let the chronomid sink...then. .s l...o...w....l...y......inch in the line..with the corkie. .the fly stays in the same depth...without the float..the fly may rise a bit as you slowly bring the line in.cast and repeat.
    part of the fun of chronomiding is the similarities to bobber fishing as a youngster.
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm yes there is a different way....either forget the bobber..corkie float. .or not..cast out..let the chronomid sink...then. .s l...o...w....l...y......inch in the line..with the corkie. .the fly stays in the same depth...without the float..the fly may rise a bit as you slowly bring the line in.cast and repeat.
    part of the fun of chronomiding is the similarities to bobber fishing as a youngster.
    Steven
    LOL Steven, you are the ultimate diplomat.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Hmmm Houston we have a problem..
    Tried putting a 2mm 5/64 bead on #16 hook..no go..neither would a 2.4mm 3/32 bead fit a #16 ..
    What the heck am I doing wrong? 2 hrs not 1 bead on hook grrrrrrr
    Thank you.
    Simple Steven
    Well, let's look at the obvious first:
    1. Where are the beads getting stuck?
    2. Do the beads have a hole that passes all the way through the bead?
    3. Are you using thin wire or thick wire hooks? What brand/model hooks are you using?
    4. Are you pinching the barbs? You shouldn't have to if you have thin wire hooks.

Something fishy going on for sure. I'll bet the beads are sticking at the bend and on the barb. This happened to me when I bought the wrong style hooks.

A picture will tell the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Well, let's look at the obvious first:
    1. Where are the beads getting stuck?
    2. Do the beads have a hole that passes all the way through the bead?
    3. Are you using thin wire or thick wire hooks? What brand/model hooks are you using?
    4. Are you pinching the barbs? You shouldn't have to if you have thin wire hooks.

Something fishy going on for sure. I'll bet the beads are sticking at the bend and on the barb. This happened to me when I bought the wrong style hooks.

A picture will tell the story.
    I am using Daiichi..and Togens..haven't tried others..Daiichi is thin wire..
    The white colored tungston beads wont go over the first bit at the point..
    I pressed the barbs down on the hooks and the white beads did go on..did 20 so far..
    Cant remember ever having to pinch barbs down..had I known I would have bought barbless .
    Once past the pressed down barb, the bead does go around the bend.
    2mm did go on # 16 with barb pinched...
    Maybe different mnf.of beads? Too thick of coating on bead?
    Cant think of thinner hook material than Daiichi..beads dont go on without pinching barbs also.
    cheers
    steven

I am using Daiichi..and Togens..haven't tried others..Daiichi is thin wire..
    The white colored tungston beads wont go over the first bit at the point..
    I pressed the barbs down on the hooks and the white beads did go on..did 20 so far..
    Cant remember ever having to pinch barbs down..had I known I would have bought barbless .
    Once past the pressed down barb, the bead does go around the bend.
    2mm did go on # 16 with barb pinched...
    Maybe different mnf.of beads? Too thick of coating on bead?
    Cant think of thinner hook material than Daiichi..beads dont go on without pinching barbs also.
    cheers
    steven

As you indicated, the holes must have been coated and the holes are too small. Contact Togens and have them correct the problem for you. Even if you did figure out a way to clear the holes, you're dealing with micro surgery and this is going to consume more time dealing with a hole than it takes to tie the bug.

Sloppy coating batch - at least there is lots of time to get this corrected before you really need the flies.

Just for the heck of it, try poking the hole with your bodkin or pin. Even a drill bit if you have the size.

Hello Steven ....I'm the guy that gave you the pattern for those Chironomids ...I use daiichi 1710 -2xl hooks ...I tye some chironomids with gills and some without gills...If tying gills put the large hole of the bead towards the eye...If no gills then put the small hole towards the eye...I find that I have to force all beads on the hook ..I buy my beads from Canadian Llama ...I use tungsten ..dull black ....I dont pinch the barb on my hooks ...I haven't used 5/64 th beads on my size 16 chironomids ....I know some guys use 5/64th beads but I have not found it necessary ...The pattern is tyed by many on Stillwaters with 3/16 th beads and they like it ...Sometimes a little persuasion is all you need ...Dennis

lol hooks look a little dull jager. what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by HikerHunter View Post
    lol hooks look a little dull jager. what is that?
    Those are broach hooks. Wouldn't want you to stick yourself when pinning it on the girlfriend.