Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to start tying Chironomids

Re: Time to start tying Chironomids

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm seen a bunch of that pattern last spring..cant say I have even heard of holo rib wire ?
    Google gun metal grey chronomid..and update on gun metal grey shootout..Togens chrony skin..black bead tungston..red extra small wire rib..coated with thin resin.... ULTRAVIOLET formula by Loon..thin taper size # 16.
    Will have some tied by Tuesday.however I am not up to the skill level of Rieber..or Muscrat hesitant to open up to comments...obviously Dennis is very skilled tier also.
    cheers tight lines
    Srupp
    My bad...just black wire or holo tinsel.

I used tungsten for a while but have went away from it. Never seen the benifit for $ as I use split shot pretty religiously...what makes you stick with it?

Hmmmm incredible insight...never would have figured that one out...have a bag that needs to be cut...
    thank you
    srupp

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    My bad...just black wire or holo tinsel.

I used tungsten for a while but have went away from it. Never seen the benifit for $ as I use split shot pretty religiously...what makes you stick with it?
    Well, I often like to fish naked so I'm one of those guys.

I often sell or barter/trade my chironomids and the tungsten beads add value.

I have lots of beads from bulk purchases so I use what I have on hand.

I save my split shots for ice fishing. Never used them for flyfishing. Adds another element and opportunity for knots and tangles - I don't need any more help with that as it is. lol.

Wow fantastic tip on cutting anti-static . Thank you , and nice chronies .

A few...

Hmmm I always use tungston if available...for a few cents more..cheap in the long run..
    fishing..and hunting..most fun you can have with your clothes on..lol regardless of " fishing naked " comments..lol
    Cyrus. .great tying..you guys are an encouragement and example..thank you..
    cheers
    Srupp

Looks awesome ! I can't wait to learn chironomid fishing one day...I started to get into tying flies....

It takes a lot of work and commitment to fill up the big boxes. I know, I filled a few boxes a couple winters ago when I was a home recovering from shoulder replacement surgery. Sure is a satisfying feeling when you do finally put that last chiro in the box but then the problems begin - what do you use when you're sitting on the lake watching a still indicator. Too many options. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Looks awesome ! I can't wait to learn chironomid fishing one day...I started to get into tying flies....
    It will change your entire outlook on fishing sir it's something special .

some impressive work on this thread! good motivation to bust out the vice again this winter
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster