Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to start tying Chironomids

Re: Time to start tying Chironomids

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    With hunting season pretty much over - still some reloading work to do for a couple recent aquisitions, I felt like wrapping up a few chironomids just to get back into my weekend morning routine of tying a few while I have my coffee.

Looks like I've buried a few supplies when I put tying gear away to make space for reloading gear so I need to step out and pick up a few things like a new pair of scissors, a couple fly boxes, thread, a few beads and maybe some wire if I can find the colours I want otherwise I'll be placing a order.

Here's what I wrapped this morning to get me into the mood again. These are on size 16 hooks.

There will be other patterns that I need to fill for a couple specific lakes - need to stock up my buddies boxes as well as my own. hehe - like I really need any more flies

Nice job on the tying Rieber. I’ve tied some lately too, but have been working on a few new items for my boat. Mmmmmm spring will be here soon; can’t wait.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

This the season can never have to many. I dont know how many times a buddy comes to the boat asking for a couple of what I got on good to have 15 of each

Quote Originally Posted by RICKADY View Post
    That's funny, so is this,
    Thousand comedian's outta work and your cracking a joke, Sorry R just had to.
    Had a lot of fun at Mill lake in the summers with the kids, easy to catch something there, Trout, Crappies, Catfish, and BASS,
    Did you see the teenage boy who caught a 9 1/2 pound Bass this spring, Monster for a small lake, it's still out there kid let it go.
    I let everything go there.
    What there's Pike there? LOL
    Happy Fishing.
    I see at least one big bass come out of there every year. 9-1/2# is a beast indeed. My biggest rainbow was 8 lbs - this was a virtually fin-less retired brood stock sex slave from the local hatchery.

I also release everything I catch at Mill Lake - there are lots of people that keep their catch there but I won't.

There have been rumours of Pike in Mill Lake for years now - even a few pictures floated about. Don't believe everything you hear but I know for certain.

Kane Valley lakes are a good place to go. Lots of lakes but if you put your time in, you'll eventually figure out the lakes. Not hard.

Anyways, I don't give out specific details on my "go to" lakes as I fish with a couple buddies and I won't give out information that would congest our favorite destinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Liveforthehunt View Post
    This the season can never have to many. I dont know how many times a buddy comes to the boat asking for a couple of what I got on good to have 15 of each
    I always open my fly boxes to my fishing buddies. I can never use all the flies I tie in 10 lifetimes anyways. I just like to tie and I really get a sense of pride and joy when my buddies are catching fish on the flies I've tied. Just not so much fun when they keep out-fishing me with my flies. Actually I do fairly well and some days it's sheer magic.

[QUOTE=Rieber;2142384]I see at least one big bass come out of there every year. 9-1/2# is a beast indeed. My biggest rainbow was 8 lbs - this was a virtually fin-less retired brood stock sex slave from the local hatchery.

I also release everything I catch at Mill Lake - there are lots of people that keep their catch there but I won't.

There have been rumours of Pike in Mill Lake for years now - even a few pictures floated about. Don't believe everything you hear but I know for certain.

Kane Valley lakes are a good place to go. Lots of lakes but if you put your time in, you'll eventually figure out the lakes. Not hard.

Anyways, I don't give out specific details on my "go to" lakes as I fish with a couple buddies and I won't give out information that would congest our favorite destinations.[/QUOTE

It's all good R,
    Enjoy your spot as I will mine, fishing as is hunting is all about a good time,
    Fish on!!!!

Hmmm fished for rainbows for 12 days..58 trout biggest over 11 pounds.released..smallest was 4 pounds..kept 1 fish 7.4 pounds.
    fished same lake this fall only 3 days fishing..only 2 or so hours each day..9 pound was best I could do..
    Strange...I was one of the least productive fisherman out there..some very skilled knowledgable fly fisherman..and I learned new tricks daily.
    One of our members? Came over and shared some of his secrets. .only sorry I dont drink didnt even have a single beer to share..damn..
    Chronies in the spring..leeches..scuds in the fall..
    Have recipes for 200 flies to tie starting in January...
    This post got me to check..order left Vancouver today.yyyyyipppeee..
    Starting to get components out and organized.
    Now if I could just get the magic number for Dugan lake brook trout..Susan and I had double header there 10 years ago..rodeo..both brookies were over 5 # and both successfully landed.
    Susan has done much better than I for big fish..14 pounder on fly ! And yes somewhere I DO indeed have a photo with both beauties.
    REALLY enjoyed last years bear season and meeting 2 members for some hunting HOWEVER the following 11 days of flyfishing were best of my life..so far..REALLY looking forward to this spring bear hunt..2 weeks.followed by 2 weeks of fly fishing.
    Cheers
    steven
    ps great looking Chronies !

Well, I finished tying the first box (for this year) of size 16 chironomids.

Hmmmm very impressive..uniform in size, length, taper..I like..thank you for sharing..
    got to get the rest of my supplies..and get my ass in gear.. your photos provide great incentive.
    Cheers
    steven

5/64" tungsten beads
    Last edited by Rieber; 01-02-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    5/64" tungsten beads
    My most used bead size, as well. Nice ties, Pat!