Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting Photography / Video (for backpacking)

Re: Hunting Photography / Video (for backpacking)

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    In my experience, ultralight backpacking and backcountry photography don't mix, pick one or the other. I pack all my gear in, camera gear easily adds 10lbs+ to my pack and can make a simple weekend hunt a 55lb load going in. Not one trip goes by that I don't contemplate saying forget it next time and leaving it all at home, especially when I go multiple trips without using my heavy ass 70-300mm. When that magic moment happens and you have the option between controlling your shutter speed, ISO, depth of field etc or just taking a point and shoot photo with your phone you'll thank yourself for lugging all that in not just in that moment but every time you look at that photo for years to come. Do yourself a favor and don't even weigh your pack if you want to take awesome photos and videos out there, just get in the gym more and do a few extra sets of squats.
    I hear you, but wouldn't leave home without my 15lbs of camera gear anymore lol.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

not to hijack the thread, but wondering what folks are using for photo editing software? I am interested in getting more involved in taking better quality shots and editing seems to be important. I have watched some of Steve Drake's youtube videos about using Lightroom but wondering if there are other programs people would recommend? maybe a bit optimistic on my part to wonder if there is a free good editing program?

I'm a big fan of Lightroom and Adobe products in general when it comes to anything in the photo/vid/graphic realm.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Having grown up shooting print and slide film with a pro canon camera and lenses,

I recently settled on the Panasonic Z300.

Best bridge camera for the buck hands down.

Otherwise your looking at a lot of money and a lot of weight....

The Z300 needs to have someone behind it,

that knows a lot about taking pics at a high level, manually...
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by kitnayakwa77 View Post
    not to hijack the thread, but wondering what folks are using for photo editing software? I am interested in getting more involved in taking better quality shots and editing seems to be important. I have watched some of Steve Drake's youtube videos about using Lightroom but wondering if there are other programs people would recommend? maybe a bit optimistic on my part to wonder if there is a free good editing program?
    Yes, there are. I also cannot pay the crazy fees for lightroom especially now that they want a monthly subscription. You cant even buy the CD and own the product anymore.

Anyways, try "Gimp" and "Photopea". Photopea is basically a photoshop rip off created by a student out of Europe and has ALL of the features that photoshop does it does not even need an installation as it runs right in your browser.

Gimp is a program you download and one I use most. By far my most common type of edit is color correction. Maybe its my aging DSLR but almost always my colors are "flat". Adjusting the curves settings really improves the quality of the pics.

Another is highlights and shadows. Huge improvements can be made if you were not able to get the exposure exactly right.

PM me if you have any more questions

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Yes, there are. I also cannot pay the crazy fees for lightroom especially now that they want a monthly subscription. You cant even buy the CD and own the product anymore.

Anyways, try "Gimp" and "Photopea". Photopea is basically a photoshop rip off created by a student out of Europe and has ALL of the features that photoshop does it does not even need an installation as it runs right in your browser.

Gimp is a program you download and one I use most. By far my most common type of edit is color correction. Maybe its my aging DSLR but almost always my colors are "flat". Adjusting the curves settings really improves the quality of the pics.

Another is highlights and shadows. Huge improvements can be made if you were not able to get the exposure exactly right.

PM me if you have any more questions
    thanks for the info I will check those both out. The cost for Lightroom seems pretty high!

Quote Originally Posted by kitnayakwa77 View Post
    thanks for the info I will check those both out. The cost for Lightroom seems pretty high!
    I too ran away from Adobe products because of their switch to a monthly subscription.

Most camera brands have a free version of post processing software - if i remember right for Nikon it's Capture NX-D, for Fuji Capture One, for Panasonic SilkyPix - not sure what it is for Canon. The nice thing about these programs is:
    a) they are usually free
    b) if you like some of the film simulations in your camera, you can usually still shoot RAW and then use these programs to apply that default simulation in post.

Edit:
    I should add that Nikon also has a "beginner friendly" version called View NX - which I use with my Nikon 1. You get generic processing tools (sharpness, shadows, highlights, etc.), ability to apply presets, and the ability to adjust exposure by +/- 2 stops
    Last edited by David; 01-15-2020 at 04:59 PM.