Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning ears?

Re: Cleaning ears?

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is the best information....period.

35rem........question.......In your opinion is gentian violet an issue for a perforated eardrum when diluted to the degree mentioned in the recipe?
    As I said: Gentian Violet has proven to be ototoxic (damaging to the inner ear). At a low concentration the effect may not be noticeable, but why would you take the risk if you can avoid the problem all together with a $15 bottle of ear cleaner that will last you 2 years?? Would I use it on my own dog? Hell no.

Forgot to mention regarding gentian violet: Health Canada recently issued a warning advising Canadians to stop using this chemical as it may increase the risk of cancer.

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal...70179a-eng.php

my vet gave me a bottle of burroughs solution to clean my boys ears out, use it on his paws if they get yeasty as well....$20 bottle has lasted over a year now and it does seem to work, I will usually do several applications daily for a few days in a row and his ears will clear right up....clean his ears with a paper towel, try to remove as much debris and wetness as possible, vet instructed 8 drops per ear, hold the ear back so you ensure the drops get down the canal, and then massage his ear to help work it in
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

My Chesapeake has had ear wax/yeast growth over the years(10 yr old now), spear grass removed, the whole nine yards. Typically in the summer and winter is when he gets bouts of ear gunk build up and that is due to lots of swimming. He loves to dive inverted for rocks and be submerged for 20-30 seconds at a time and so in the summer his inner ears don't dry out much. Winter can be similar but less sever with rolling in the snow and moisture build up.

I used to use vet prescribed ear cleaner solution on a cotton swab and carefully clean out. I have gone to using vinegar on a cotton swab now with same results. Cheap and we always have some around.

Quote Originally Posted by one-shot-wonder View Post
    I have gone to using vinegar on a cotton swab now with same results. Cheap and we always have some around.
    As I stated before wax and water based solutions, vinegar included, do not mix well. Without looking down the ear canal with an otoscope it is impossible to tell whether the ears are truly free of wax or you only flushed the bigger chunks out.
    And: please do not allow/teach your dog to dive for rocks. I have had to open up quite few to take rocks out of their intestine and seen major damage to teeth from playing with rocks as well.

Interesting how people will have total disregard for experience and knowledge and go with a Medicean show type approach.