Thread: Brunswick Point Dogs

Brunswick Point Dogs

Good day everyone just a quick question about hunting ducks at the brunswick with a dog, is it legal? Someone told me all dogs must be kept on a leash in that area so just looking for some clarification. I have hunted the Brunswick before a handful of times but don't remember seeing any hunters with dogs.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Brunswick Point Dogs

Yes it is legal.

There is a thread where I saw a new regulation about dogs being on leash. I asked the regional natural resources manager and he gave a written reply saying it applied to the people who were NOT hunting. Hunting dogs are fine. The leash rule is stop people's dogs from harassing birds outside of hunting. (Though you will see plenty of people with their dogs off leash there anyway).

Dug up the email to me

Thank you for your email. As mentioned in the News 1130 article to which you referred, the Wildlife Act Wildlife Management Area Use and Access Regulation has been amended to include all 11 Wildlife Management Areas in schedules 1, 2, and 4 of the regulation. Schedule 4 states the following:

Dogs must be on leash in designated wildlife management areas
    4 (1)A person commits an offence if the person enters a wildlife management area described in Schedule 4 with a dog that is not
    (a)under the direct control of a person, and
    (b)restrained by a leash not longer than 2 metres.
    (2)This section does not apply to a person who enters the wildlife management area in order to engage in lawful hunting.

As stated by the regulation, the “dogs must be on leash” regulation does not apply to a person who enters the WMA in order to engage in lawful hunting. In other words, off leash dogs may continue to be used for hunting in south coast WMAs (e.g., Roberts Bank, Boundary Bay, South Arm Marshes, and Pitt-Addington Marsh WMAs).

Regards,

Eric

__________________________________________________ _______
    Eric Balke, MSc
    Coordinator
    South Coast Conservation Land Management Program

Thanks for the info. Now its time to get the her out there.