Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend Hunting Backpack

Re: Recommend Hunting Backpack

Are you backpack hunting or just day hunting? If you ever see yourself loading up a pack with 5-10 days of food and gear and heading into the mountains then I would spend the money and get something that works. I use a Kifaru and love it. I have a friend the has the money to buy whatever and he is happy with his Kuiu.

If you are just day hunting and need to pack out your kill then I wouldn't be as concerned about buying top shelf.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Packs are as personal as boots, what works for Fred may not even fit Ralph,

Ive tried/owned Mystery Ranch nice frame 6500 bag/ guide light frame Marshall and cabinet bags, Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900, EXO Mountain Gear 5500, and for me the MR Nice frame and Marshall Bag works best for extended hunts and the Guidelight frame/cabinet bag I use for a daypack,

the EXO MG 5500 and SG Sky Talus 6900 are a close second but the MR Nice frame just fits my waist and hips better and holds a load better for me.

Best thing to do is try a few out if possible.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Mystery Marshall for 5-10 nights. I also have the pintler bag only which I use on the same frame from
    the Marshall. I don’t know why but evertime I use or load up the pintler it makes me happy I love that bag!!! Haha

Main purpose is for day pack for packing out meat. Plan to hunt deer and moose.

I’ve been through a handful and right now I’ve had a MR Metcalf that I swap bags with a MR Mule. Comfy frame for me and fairly simple versatile bags, and not over engineered. These ones are maid in Asia if that’s a concern. And my Wife has a MR Pintler. I’ve packed out mule deer, sheep, and elk in the Metcalf/on the load shelf

buy a mystery ranch pintler you will be glad u did. Perfect size with a meat shelf!
    Last edited by jac; 12-28-2019 at 07:55 PM.

I have a bullpack that I like. Lots of choices re: bags/size/shape etc.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I have tried MR but it just didn't fit me well. They are great packs and a couple of my partners use them. I purchased a Stone Glacier (Sky Talus 6900) last fall and am very happy I did.

Best thing you can do is try some packs on and make your decision. As others have already said, what fits me great might not be the same for you. I will say that I've found Kuiu and a few other brands to be complete garbage.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Having a pack that can hold your gun, is that really a big deal? I like having my rifle/shotgun in my 2 hands at all times unless traversing a fence. Otherwise it's slung.

Quote Originally Posted by dak0ta View Post
    Having a pack that can hold your gun, is that really a big deal? I like having my rifle/shotgun in my 2 hands at all times unless traversing a fence. Otherwise it's slung.
    It is really nice when you are packing out a heavy load in crap ground