Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend Hunting Backpack

Re: Recommend Hunting Backpack

Quote Originally Posted by dak0ta View Post
    Any experience with the Aplz Hybrid X bag? Got good reviews, and relatively cheap in the $250 USD range. Has meat shelf that sits between the pack and frame.
    I would not recommend this pack. Be very wary of reviews online. So many guys LOVE the pack they just bought and give great reviews when they have not really tested it nor have they used other packs,

Just based on looking at pictures the frame looks too short. If the frame is short then you get no lift off your shoulders. All the weight will be on your shoulders and none on your hips when you get a heavy load on it.

One way to be economical is to just purchase a frame from a high end company then strap whatever simple bag you want to it. Later if you want to purchase a bag to match to your frame then you can.

All prices in US for just the frame
    Exo - $375
    Stone Galcier - $365
    Kifaru - $350
    Seek Outside - $319
    Mystery Ranch - $275

I love my Mystery Ranch Pintler . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2NQmtWUQqc&t=2s
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I like the buy a frame now and attach my current day pack to it. I think that is what I'm going for.

I am really happy with MR Metcalf. I've carried about a dozen loads over many km ranging from 80-110lbs. it's nice because it can be cinched down when carrying small or empty loads. The only negative I have is that its takes some practice getting all the buckles and straps (12 IIRC) figured out when separating/attaching the pack to the frame. I also purchased a load sling from Pods8 the Rockslide forum ( https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thre...uestion.94552/ ). That and the Kifaru Gun Bearer are the two accessories I would recommend.

What's the best way to attach your ordinary camping day pack to the frame? I think mine has those PALS/MOLLE-style straps on the back side.

I like the buy a frame now and attach my current day pack to it. I think that is what I'm going for.
    Throw a universal Kifaru gun bearer on there and you’ll be set.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    I recommend a good hiking pack, built specifically for tents and gear of 100lbs. Get fitted, avoid cabelas and seek a mountaineer company other than MEC. If not sure bring weights to what you expect to carry to get a feel. Remember, camo is a color not an advantage
    I think this is pretty good advice. I find the mystery ranch guide light frame a little bit uncomfortable until it’s loaded up. Some bags are the opposite.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

What's the best way to attach your ordinary camping day pack to the frame? I think mine has those PALS/MOLLE-style straps on the back side.
    Go to this site www.hillpeoplegear.com Have a look at some of their gear I’m sure you’ll get an idea on how to go about it.
    I would just go with some compression straps.
    Last edited by Ferenc; 12-31-2019 at 02:52 AM.

If you want to look cool for pictures buy a Kuiu; if you want a real pack to haul meat & horns buy a Barneys.