Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found extra ducks

Found extra ducks

On Christmas Eve day I went out for a mid morning duck hunt with a couple of buddies. Saw other guys where we wanted to be who were likely there at first light (Dang it) so we drove around for the next hour or so checking out other options. When we came back they had packed up so we decided to go with our original plan and set up there.

While we were setting up the dogs were wandering around in the high grass and brought back three birds (a teal, a widgeon, and a mallard) that the earlier group couldn't find. Maybe they didn't have a dog??

We placed them beside the blind. There were a good number of birds flying and decoying well so we really felt we were going to get our birds. So legally and ethically, what are our options? Can we shoot our legal limits? Or if we didn't want to see these other found birds go to waste, which we didn't, would they count towards our limit? Are we obligated to take these other birds out?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Found extra ducks

I don’t think your legally obligated to take the birds but if they were edible I think your morally obligated and I’m sure a CO has heard wilder stories as to why someone has more then their limit so I wouldn’t go over the allowances.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

If you so made a decision to take the birds would be considered and counted as your own possession limit.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

It is Birds in your possession for sure.

The only way to shoot your limit is call the CO and give them the found birds. If not those birds are part of your limit.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    The only way to shoot your limit is call the CO and give them the found birds. If not those birds are part of your limit.
    this is correct ^^

That is why it’s called a possession limit not shooting limit. Unfortunately dishonest people who poach make it so you have to consider your legal position with everything. Either turn them into a CO and see if they sign them over to you or take them as part of your possession limit

Just think of the amount of dishonest people who would take beyond their limit if it was as simple as say”we found these left by the other guys”. Sucks when you are trying to be honest and ethical but you have to put yourself in a COs boots

that sucks that they just left them. Here I am agonizing about losing birds and they just leave them! what a waste.

i've seen a news story on guys that go out with good dogs and routinely get their limit without ever firing a shot...ill look for a link

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    that sucks that they just left them. Here I am agonizing about losing birds and they just leave them! what a waste.
    Pretty sure these guys did not leave them on purpose,,,,well, maybe the teal because that one seemed pretty much in the shorter grass and easy for the dogs to find. The other two were in some of the thickest crap imaginable so I could see how they couldn't find them, especially if they didn't have a good dog.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    i've seen a news story on guys that go out with good dogs and routinely get their limit without ever firing a shot...ill look for a link
    Used to do that routinely back in the day in Ladner Marsh on opening weekend.Not only 1 limit either several so always were 2 of us.Having a good dog definitely has its plus and minus ,but I would rather take a cripple than leave it to suffer.And even the best dogs and hunters don't get them all.