Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Wildlife

Re: 2019 Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by drift6969 View Post
    You must spend alot of time in the woods to get so many shots!
    Yup, daily doing forestry field work and then I play in the bush most weekends. These are only a very small portion of the photos I've captured this year. The camera is with me most days.

Nice pics!

Excellent photos. You’re managed to capture some that show a bit of “character” as well.

As always great photos Dana I‘m sorry what camera are you using again ? Also what mm lens ?
    Thank You
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Thumbs up Re: 2019 Wildlife

Awesome as usual!!

Guess it's time for me to ask too - camera details please & thanks!

Your pix blow mine right out of the water.
    Time for an upgrade methinks!!

Cheers!
    Matt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Great pics! The one of the sheep "snarling" is cool. Thanks for sharing

Hats off to ya buddy amazing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    As always great photos Dana I‘m sorry what camera are you using again ? Also what mm lens ?
    Thank You
    I currently am shooting a Nikon Coolpix P900 which is a mega zoom bridge camera. 83x optical zoom which is equivalent to 24-2000mm. It is a pretty heavy duty camera that fits well in my backpack or cruisers vest and can take a good beating. Fits my lifestyle well without having to pack multiple lenses or bodies around.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I currently am shooting a Nikon Coolpix P900 which is a mega zoom bridge camera. 83x optical zoom which is equivalent to 24-2000mm. It is a pretty heavy duty camera that fits well in my backpack or cruisers vest and can take a good beating. Fits my lifestyle well without having to pack multiple lenses or bodies around.
    That camera doesn't have a very big aperture. Specs show as only f/6.5 at 2000mm. What ISO are some of these pics taken at?

I use a nikon d5100 and 300mm lens and always find problems with brightness as shooting wildlife generally requires a decent shutter speed. So if you only have, say, f6.3 and need 1/320sec to eliminate hand shake, then what ISO is the camera shooting at?

For my D5100 it would often end up creeping to 3200 and that always just looks too grainy for my taste. I can see the same problem in one of your elk pics, too.

Maybe you shoot all off a tripod and use a slower shutter speed?
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 12-27-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    That camera doesn't have a very big aperture. Specs show as only f/6.5 at 2000mm. What ISO are some of these pics taken at?

I use a nikon d5100 and 300mm lens and always find problems with brightness as shooting wildlife generally requires a decent shutter speed. So if you only have, say, f6.3 and need 1/320sec to eliminate hand shake, then what ISO is the camera shooting at?

For my D5100 it would often end up creeping to 3200 and that always just looks too grainy for my taste. I can see the same problem in one of your elk pics, too.

Maybe you shoot all off a tripod and use a slower shutter speed?
    I don't play with the ISO. I normally shoot in set modes on the camera. For wildlife I usually use the Bird Watching mode that shoots 7 continuous shots at a time. I pretty much handhold everything. The only time I use a tripod is when I put the timer on for our family portrait shots. I get what I get and don't get carried up with all the technical aspects as I neither have the time and energy to worry such things. Photography is just a hobby for me as is wildlife viewing. No presure means I can always be having fun regardless of how the images turn out. Sometimes I get $hit images that still mean the world to me because they conjur up the memory of the event. I look at the photos and they bring me back to being right there, having that once in a lifetime experience with that critter. That is what it is all about for me. Perfection is never going to be acheived and I don't care. It is the living in the moment, breathing in the experience and the reflection years later that takes me right back there. That is what does it for me.