Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Law For Region 4 EK..

Re: New Law For Region 4 EK..

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    The government website has been flooded with so many negative responses to their proposal listings, it has been taken down for "maintenance" purposes.

Stay Tuned. Will let you know when it's back up...

Cheers - Nog
    .……………………………………..
    That or they found a whole whack of more proposals to add to it???????

BMI, i sure hope you are on blood pressure meds as you are going to have a gasser if you don't stop to breath every once in awhile!!
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    BMI, i sure hope you are on blood pressure meds as you are going to have a gasser if you don't stop to breath every once in awhile!!
    Actually, it's New Years Eve, and I plan to get smashed, especially after this past weeks fiasco's.
    It's going to be 2020, but I don't consider as monumental as the year 2000.
    Which back then, found me running in my BDay suit for 8 blocks some where in frickin Surrey (exact location is a blur!?).
    Yup, the first block was awkward but by the 8th block, have to admit felt pretty "Liberating"!
    Only mistake was I showed up to the house party in cowboy boots.
    A no go for running, so bare foot I went.
    Other 5 guys had runners on.
    I dealt with the pain as there is safety in #'s.
    Getting left behind seemed independently insecure!

Just have a hang over for 2 days if all goes as planned.
    Not worried about Uber, only 2 blocks to walk.
    I am assuming this time I will be clothed.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    This reminds me of how Saskatchewan handles CWD.
    Gov went against the advice of their Biologists and caved under heavy lobbying by outfitters (95% for American clients) and the Game farm canned "hunting" organizations.
    Baiting continued, herd density reductions were stopped, and CWD spread like a prairie wildfire. With only very limited testing (thanks Sask Gov) CWD rates in areas are over 50%.

Here in Alberta, without baiting, and during the years of herd density suppression, CWD was not spreading into Alberta, but was contained to the near the Sask border, infection rates were 1-2%.
    Our containment measures WERE working!

Then lobbying pushed to end the herd density suppression, the greatest effort to do so was from the Outfitting community.
    Once herds were allowed to grow, so did the rate of infection and spread of the disease.

But go ahead, keep singing, Lalalalalallaaaaa…..

I sense a different issue at hand here. Many seem to be apposed to ANY change.
    I get the frustration from recent changes, the feeling of being hit and run on....
    But don't let that get in the way of changes that really do need to happen for the sake of Wildlife.
    This is NOT an Hunter issue, this is a Wildlife Health concern.

There are plenty of studies showing evidence of increased disease transmission between ungulates due to baiting.

I agree, there is a lack of studies directly researching CWD transmission and baiting.
    But they are not really necessary, Other research applies.
    Great post WB. Its crazy to see how CWD rates have sky-rocketed in a lot of areas in Alberta. Makes it a real ethical struggle on what to do when trying to plan a hunt over there.

I'm personally alright with the ban on baiting/feeding and am happy that whitetail doe numbers have been reduced in the Kootenays. Somehow if I said that in a public area in the Kootenays I feel I'd be strung up for not 'falling in line' with the common thinking.
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 12-31-2019 at 04:07 PM.

^^^^^WB's post is a good one.
    I just don't think taking baby steps is going to be useful.
    You have a wildfire on the horizon, that has burnt a lot of ground already.
    You don't go dig a little ditch and hope it helps.

You jump in both feet, cut a mile perimeter, and then you got a chance.
    If limiting infection due to no cure is the game plan, then EVERYONE has to be on board.
    Not just expecting hunters to make a difference.
    Then the Cattle Assoc. and whoever else one can think of, has to play with the same rules.
    Then, I would support it.
    But, isn't that always the issue, the hunting community gets restricted while other causing the majority of the damage carry on.

Cattle guys hate elk on their hay, etc etc, and we know how much they have affected herds of many species.
    Don't expect them to play ball without a huge fight.
    And why, because cwd doesn't affect cattle, so why care.
    And who is going to tell them to fall into line???
    No one.

Not trying to poke at some of the members here on HBC that are cattle folk, I like some of them.
    But it's hard to put it nicely sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Walking Buff,

I don't have an agenda.
    Actually, I have never used baiting as a hunting technique and actually switch the hunting channel when I watch bbear hunts using it etc.
    Not my thing, same goes for Xbows and ATVs, don't use or own either.
    Have a Cam, never hung on a tree for a second since I have owned it.

This is the New Era of the BAN my friend!
    We have a GBear BAN, but is that sound management???...nope.
    We have ever increasing ATV BAN, but what good is it if poachers and FN have access on all those extra roads.
    (real solution is tear them up and restrict atv for all to roads only)
    We have a SCOPE BAN proposed (but will fail, but the next round will be a full on XBOW BAN like Alberta I predict).
    Then there are the rumor's of the TROPHY HUNT BAN (bye bye GO's in the EK if that happens).

Me, just I guy who has always hunted with a rifle on foot or mtn bike, nothing less. nothing more!
    No affiliation with any Org.
    Mostly because every Org I have seen has in part, their own itinerary, not a general goal.

And WORST OF ALL, nothing has ever worked so far because it has never addressed the real factor to game # declines in BC.
    But keep trying to come up with new hunting proposals that will, it's worked so well so far!
    Explain this in full ???Then there are the rumor's of the TROPHY HUNT BAN (bye bye GO's in the EK if that happens).
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Explain this in full ???Then there are the rumor's of the TROPHY HUNT BAN (bye bye GO's in the EK if that happens).
    If the government, like the NDP can ban the Gbear hunt, which they did then there is always a chance down the road that sheep/goat
    could be as well...one day.
    There is no science that said we needed to ban gbear for conservation reasons.
    It was a ban based on enough anti hunters no longer wanting this hunt in the province and arguments that it wasn't for food purposes.
    Just a "trophy hunt"

And I had George Heyman at my door, twice!
    And in a nutshell, that was why during the upcoming election they had stated in their platform they would close GBear.
    Now, if they can close GBear, they can also look at a few other species.
    The argument of climbing a steep mountain just to bring a goat or sheep down for meat, I not reasonable in their eyes, thus another
    trophy hunt.

Heyman was like "I have friends who hunt, I support the meat hunt" type statements to me directly.
    Meat Hunt being the important words in his statement.
    We also ended up having to bring ribs and neck out now too, the full animal.
    Not many sheep or goat hunters were doing that.

See where this was going in his words now?!

As for good bye EK GO's.
    They aint making a whole lot of money with their elk and moose hunts these days.
    The GO around me said if it wasn't for his Goat hunt, he would be in financial trouble.
    Actually, he said it was so bad that he needed to get a real job for most of the year now.
    (his words, not mine)
    I am sure making money in the GO industry is challenging right now in the EK.
    You know as well as I do, it aint great in there.

Their sheep and goat hunts from his words were the most viable to staying in business.
    So, if Heyman gets another run of 4 years, and the Anti start looking at another animal to take off the hunting list, who knows what
    the ndp will do??
    We already see a backlash in the past to Cougar Hunting.
    Your guess is as good as mine on what will be the next species on the cutting room floor.
    But I am pretty certain we haven't seen the end of it with the NDP in power.

Anything else I missed???

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    If the government, like the NDP can ban the Gbear hunt, which they did then there is always a chance down the road that sheep/goat
    could be as well...one day.
    There is no science that said we needed to ban gbear for conservation reasons.
    It was a ban based on enough anti hunters no longer wanting this hunt in the province and arguments that it wasn't for food purposes.
    Just a "trophy hunt"

And I had George Heyman at my door, twice!
    And in a nutshell, that was why during the upcoming election they had stated in their platform they would close GBear.
    Now, if they can close GBear, they can also look at a few other species.
    The argument of climbing a steep mountain just to bring a goat or sheep down for meat, I not reasonable in their eyes, thus another
    trophy hunt.

Heyman was like "I have friends who hunt, I support the meat hunt" type statements to me directly.
    Meat Hunt being the important words in his statement.
    We also ended up having to bring ribs and neck out now too, the full animal.
    Not many sheep or goat hunters were doing that.

See where this was going in his words now?!

As for good bye EK GO's.
    They aint making a whole lot of money with their elk and moose hunts these days.
    The GO around me said if it wasn't for his Goat hunt, he would be in financial trouble.
    Actually, he said it was so bad that he needed to get a real job for most of the year now.
    (his words, not mine)
    I am sure making money in the GO industry is challenging right now in the EK.
    You know as well as I do, it aint great in there.

Their sheep and goat hunts from his words were the most viable to staying in business.
    So, if Heyman gets another run of 4 years, and the Anti start looking at another animal to take off the hunting list, who knows what
    the ndp will do??
    We already see a backlash in the past to Cougar Hunting.
    Your guess is as good as mine on what will be the next species on the cutting room floor.
    But I am pretty certain we haven't seen the end of it with the NDP in power.

Anything else I missed???
    Thanks for explaining all to the HBC members I see your point..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Thanks for explaining all to the HBC members I see your point..
    Your welcome H.

Like I say, it is just conversations I had with one GO.
    But I know around him there are atleast 3 other GO's and I suspect their elk and moose issue is no different and most likely also rely on sheep/goat.
    I believe him to be straight up as I don't think anyone wants to say they are in rough shape, business wise.
    I also know he received 5 or 6 more goat permits because not enough residents were applying for those tags for years.
    Odds were always like 0.5:1.
    If you applied you got it.
    I think now it is 1:1?
    Would have to look at this years LEH to see past years odds to confirm.

The one big mistake he made, and doesn't bold well for the "Trophy" aspect of hunting was:
    For one, he hadn't filled his GBear tag that was allocated him before the ban came into effect.
    Nor was he acquiring clients for BBear hunts.
    His reason, his words, was waiting for the bears to "grow bigger".
    That was said to me the last season before GBear ban went into effect.

I also told him, if you aint going to take some BBear, I was going to get a tag.
    And I have.
    And this past season I witnessed more BBear then ever...10X as many (maybe just a lucky year?)

But, words like letting them grow bigger, or having that philosophy isn't going to help hunting in the future in the Anti's eyes, imo.

Hey BMI sorry to hear your GO friend is having to get a job, maybe line him up with BV, he seems to be doing real well, well enough to go on trophy hunts to Africa and support their country
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit