Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: New Law For Region 4 EK..

Re: New Law For Region 4 EK..

Quote Originally Posted by gunpower View Post
    In 50 years of hunting, I have never use any bait or baiting methods for ungulates , and never will. It , in my eyes is unethical , just about as bad as pit lamping !!
    I'm guessing you and GreyDog are probably all for the current proposal of banning scopes and crossbows too huh? Slippery slope, cutting out more and more legal hunting methods will cut out more and more hunters. As is said, death by a thousand cuts and as Martin Niemoller said, "first they came for...", so once all the other currently legal methods of hunting are banned, who's gonna be left to stand with you when it comes down to banning all hunting outright, including your "traditional and ethical" ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Here’s my take on salt blocks( take it with a grain of salt...if you will).

All ungulates will naturally seek out salt. Naturally occurring licks away from people attract ungulates from quite a large area. Find a natural lick and there will can be serious game trails coming in from all directions. Having more salt options spread out actually reduces concentrations of game.
    Just a theory but it makes sense to me.

SSS
    your theory is as good as the next...so much research/information yet to learn on these types of (prion producing) diseases

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    I'm guessing you and GreyDog are probably all for the current proposal of banning scopes and crossbows too huh? Slippery slope, cutting out more and more legal hunting methods will cut out more and more hunters. As is said, death by a thousand cuts and as Martin Niemoller said, "first they came for...", so once all the other currently legal methods of hunting are banned, who's gonna be left to stand with you when it comes down to banning all hunting outright, including your "traditional and ethical" ways.
    Just because one is in favour of fair chase in hunting, it doesn't necessarily follow that he would support the ban of scopes on crossbows. I'm perfectly fine with scopes on crossbows, although I wonder at what point it ceases to be archery. I am also opposed to banning the use of spears. I am in favour of curtailing the use of trail cams during the hunting season. To be perfectly honest, I'm not a big fan of surveillance on public lands, regardless of who is doing it. As far as baiting is concerned, it ties into the game cam restrictions and it is important to remember that slippery slopes run both ways. For instance: I'm not sure I see anything wrong with the concept of enhancing a natural mineral lick but baiting can get out of hand and I think it has.
    I think ATV use needs to be more restricted. The sheer number of ATV's in use, which has increased tremendously over the last twenty years, is having an impact on habitat and game movement. We need to maintain some wilderness areas. To this end, timber harvesting needs to be less destructive of habitat and roads need to be reclaimed after an area is cut. There are too many access roads into areas where animals used to be able to rest. GD

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    your theory is as good as the next...so much research/information yet to learn on these types of (prion producing) diseases
    Scientists are saying the prions may be able to luve in soil and or vegatation.. but no proof yet
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Here’s my take on salt blocks( take it with a grain of salt...if you will).

All ungulates will naturally seek out salt. Naturally occurring licks away from people attract ungulates from quite a large area. Find a natural lick and there will can be serious game trails coming in from all directions. Having more salt options spread out actually reduces concentrations of game.
    Just a theory but it makes sense to me.

SSS
    Best Science and all that.... there must be redundant research to prove what wildlife behaviors are being influenced by Salt blocks.

With the gov'ment commitment to Best Science, before making a determination on if/how to proceed with banning salt,
    there is a need to study Natural licks, determine minerology and CWD status of the soil, use by wildlife, inventory by region.
    legislate mandatory registration of all human introduced artificial licks which must be reported to the Department of Licks,
    location and content, volume, game camera permit to inventory wildlife use, yearly CWD status testing of the soil.

Only then with detailed comparison of the data can the gov'ment decide if the answer is more or less Salt.

Your theory holds potential to be correct in specific circumstances, it's likely to be wrong in others.
    We need the scientists to do their work before we can make a decision on what to do....

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Scientists are saying the prions may be able to luve in soil and or vegatation.. but no proof yet
    There is proof that prions remain infectious in both soil and vegetation.

FYI to all, prions aren't "Alive" by definition....
    There are a proteinaceous infectious particle that replicates through recruiting its host to produce mutated (PrPsc) protiens. similar to what viruses do.

The down low on vegetation and CWD.

The potential for mutation to infect humans slightly aside, the great concern for CWD is agricultural contamination.

There is very little publicity to the great threat CWD imposes to North America's breadbasket and the economy.
    Mostly on purpose, governments and biz are desperate to keep the lid on this can.
    Speculators are ready to go short.

CWD has been confirmed to be uptaken from infected soils by many agricultural crops into the leaves and seeds, even pollen.

The fan is spinning and a huge bag of CWD is inches away from hitting it.
    At any time, international interests could demand CWD testing of ALL agricultural products, and embargoes of product from CWD areas.
    This could quickly become the greatest economic crash in history!

If/when this happens,
    Potential CWD carrying Wildlife would be immediately on the Extermination list.
    Forget about managing or controlling ungulate populations,, governments will implement the Nuclear option.

last year there was a thread on CWD that was indicating a shift in the theory of what causes cwd. originally a virus was considered probable but then prions were associated with it so they were looked at as the cause. last year there was talk of a bacterium being involved. as well as research into the role of the immune system....i also read some stuff about anti-prions
    ill look for a link

https://www.bovinevetonline.com/article/university-calgary-vaccine-protects-against-cwd

there is a lot of research looking at the different potential causes as well as potential similarities to some alzheimer pathology...you can spend hours reading...

https://www.merckmanuals.com/en-ca/h...prion-diseases
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 01-10-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    If so then the natural licks can cause this disease ??? not baiting with salt ..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

That's the ^^^^^thig H47, no one really knows.
    Lots of speculation depending what you read.

Personally, if the deer get it, they get it.
    No amount of Bait Ban is going to stop it from spreading.
    Some just think its something that we can do to not help the spread thru human reasons.
    But, otherwise, they will get it naturally also.
    Deer will rub, lick everything and anything, even each other.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    If so then the natural licks can cause this disease ??? not baiting with salt ..
    No one is saying that baiting, salt blocks, or natural mineral licks "cause" the disease.