Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horseback Hunt HOWTO?

Hybrid View

Horseback Hunt HOWTO?

I have a friend visiting from abroad this fall. I am going to take him hunting if I get the legalities sorted, but now I am thinking of stepping the experience up a notch and maybe do that on horseback.
    How would I go about this? Anyone ever done this? Are there places that provide "guided horseback tours" that one could turn into a hunting trip? I would think that someone unfamiliar with horses needs a guide to make sure people don't hurt themselves or the horses But don't need/want a "hunting-guide", if that makes any sense.

Would someone get into trouble for "illegal guiding" if they did this? Now that I am writing this this almost appears to be a grey area.

Any comments?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Horseback Hunt HOWTO?

G.O.A.B.C. has a website that might be able to help you

There is no grey involved in what you are proposing. If your friend is from abroad he cannot hunt here without the services of a guide outfitter (HUNTING GUIDE).

If you are asking if anyone will rent you a string of horses for a self-guided hunt I don't think you'll find what you are looking for and it is definitely illegal for someone that isn't an outfitter to take you on a hunt. Packing is a very specific skill and the people that have it are typically outfitters.

I would equate it to jet boating. Nobody in their right mind would rent you their boat so you could self-guide up the Tuchodi river.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    If you are asking if anyone will rent you a string of horses for a self-guided hunt.

You can absolutely do that. There is a guy who will rent you a fully outfitted pack string and saddle horses. Tell him where you want them dropped off and when you will be out and he’ll be there.

A few guys on the site have down it as far as I know.

Way cheaper than buying horses and gear.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    You can absolutely do that. There is a guy who will rent you a fully outfitted pack string and saddle horses. Tell him where you want them dropped off and when you will be out and he’ll be there.

A few guys on the site have down it as far as I know.

Way cheaper than buying horses and gear.
    My bad, I stand corrected.

Blows my mind that someone would do that.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Actually the guy out of McBride puts you through a course before he rents you horses. Big Boar did it and liked it.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by dracb View Post
    Actually the guy out of McBride puts you through a course before he rents you horses. Big Boar did it and liked it.
    Blue creek outfitters, I believe!

Well I wasn't expecting someone to give us horses and send us our merry way, but I guess I should have read the regs first before posting.

Ryanb pointed out the crucial "legal" bit for out of country hunters. I'll reach out to outfitters and see how it goes...

If anyone has any recommendations for an outfitter that does horseback and is within say 5h driving on the lower mainland I'd appreciate it.

guest Guest

There are some terrific Packers out there.
    Steamboat Mountain Outfitters. Tetsa River Outfitters. Etc.
    Blue Creek Outfitting will meet you at trail head, rent you horses and gear. Meet you upon return. None of the above are guides.
    There are specific License requirements for out of province and country requirements. Dont get sucked into posibly guiding illegally.
    That could become a complete Shat show.....
    Know your requirements as a hunter host. Its quite likely you cant legally do it.