Thread: Decent Spotting Scope Under $1K?

Decent Spotting Scope Under $1K?

Question: Are there any "decent" spotting scopes under $1K? Usually, there is a "sweet spot" in most goods including optics where you get the most "bang for the buck", above which you don't necessarily get that much more value for the money, but pay for brand, etc.

Example: Even I can tell the difference between a 299 Bushnell Trophy and a 1.3K Vortex Viper HD, but not sure I can really appreciate a Swarovski for 3.4K

So, is there an option that is "worth it" for <1K?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Decent Spotting Scope Under $1K?

I used a non HD Vortex Viper 15-45x65mm for a while, was very happy with the clarity. The new HD version is even better ($970). Shop for a used one if you're on a tight budget
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Save your money awhile longer and buy one of the big 3. And you’ll never question your purchase.

I think your on the right path with the viper HD.

4 years ago when I was in the market I was set on the viper after researching, but lucked out on a new razor for a great price.

You can find Vortex Razor's in your price range. Like RackStar, I've had mine for a few years now and love it

Pentax PF 65EDA II great scope that you can mix many eyepieces with .
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

There is a used Vortex Viper HD for sale on Kijiji it’s in Vanderhoof. It’s an angled 15-45x65 looks like it’s in a neoprene cover. Comes with vortex summit SS tripod. Scope $750 Scope & tripod $850

Sorry don’t know how to add a link.

Not mine.

I paid $1100 for my razor with the same tripod used about a year ago.

I rocked the vortex viper for years. I was happy with it for the time I used it.

Last year I couldn't ID a 6 point at a distance and my buddies group could with there swaro. Their group went home with elk meat and ours didn't. It was 100% the swaro difference.

I've rocked the swaro since last bear season and I would never go back. Anyone who says vortex is comparable in lower light conditions is lying in my opinion. I use the 20-60x65 and my partner (who is sponsored by vortex) was using the razor 20-60x80. It was clear as day mine was a better scope in all conditions at max power even with the smaller lens, league of its own at first and last light. Let alone the eye fatigue factor when your glossing all day. We only packed my scope on goat and elk hunts this year away from the truck. He would tell you the same off the record.

If you spend a lot of time glassing the to me it's worth it. I rocked the viper HD for years and it took me a few years to save up for one of the big 3.

If you just need a spotter to quickly pull out for a reasonably ranged muley or elk tine count then a viper should suit anyone just fine. I love spending money on hunting so I didn't care about the price tag as I slowly saved for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Pentax PF 65EDA II great scope that you can mix many eyepieces with .
    I have the Pentax . I like it but have not compared it to any others yet .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !