Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Northern Adventure

Re: 2019 Northern Adventure

Looks like an awesome adventure and with the whole family to boot! Amazing photos as always! Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Dana.
    #1. What dates did you leave for the North ?
    #2 How were the bugs ?
    Thank You
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Thanks Dana, I don't have Imac, but wonder why is it not possible to upload right from my pictures folder on my home computer.
    Like I said I'm only allowed a max 750kb image, which is really small.
    By the way I have been on the Dempster to the Arctic Circle marker/sign, it was a great trip and would like to do it again, perhaps further.
    Did you get flat tires on your trip?
    You need to upload the pics to imgur.com then paste the links to those pics in the thread.

You cannot upload pics directly because the 750kb size limit is way too low and almost all digital pics are way bigger than that

Beauty pics dana.

-How much hiking did you guys do?
    -Pay for any accomodations (for showers etc) or tent it the whole time?
    -Do any fishing on the way up for pike, trout or grayling?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Dana.
    #1. What dates did you leave for the North ?
    #2 How were the bugs ?
    Thank You
    Arctic Lake
    We went July 5-28th. We planned it so we could be at the Arctic Ocean for our anniversary. Having 24 hr sunlight was amazing. But it is tough to plan when to see wildlife. No last light, first light that one normally relies on. Taking wildlife photos at midnight was quite the experience. I was hoping to miss the hot and smoke of the previous summers here in BC but ended up with heavy smoke from the many fires in Yukon and Alaska and we came close to not making it to Dawson due to fire activity. Bugs were pretty darn good. Might have been due to amount of smoke in the air. I, personally only put bug dope on a couple of times over the 3 weeks. Bugs were nasty in Inuvik but we had good wind in Tuk that kept them down. By the time I made it back down to Dawson we had heavy rains that took all the smoke out of air and the wet pretty much followed us all the way home. When we went in 2015 we planned for late August to catch the fall colours on the Dempster. Turned out to be an early snow year and we were in winter whiteout conditions for much of the Dempster. Was very happy we missed the snow on the 2019 trip. Funny to see the same early snow hit the North hard this year that they even closed down Liard Hotsprings in Aug due to heavy snow. I really want to go up in late Sept early Oct one year to catch the caribou migration. But I would fully be prepared for rough weather.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Beauty pics dana.

-How much hiking did you guys do?
    -Pay for any accomodations (for showers etc) or tent it the whole time?
    -Do any fishing on the way up for pike, trout or grayling?
    We tented the entire time, most of the time in gov rec sites. Had planned where we camped well in advance and made sure we utilized pools, hotsprings and a few campgrounds with showers. We tried fishing while on the Dempster but didn't have a ton of time. We bought temporary Yukon licences in Dawson but didn't think about the fact we were leaving the Yukon fairly quick and then into the NWT. We spent so much time playing with wildlife that fishing wasn't a big priority anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    We tented the entire time, most of the time in gov rec sites. Had planned where we camped well in advance and made sure we utilized pools, hotsprings and a few campgrounds with showers. We tried fishing while on the Dempster but didn't have a ton of time. We bought temporary Yukon licences in Dawson but didn't think about the fact we were leaving the Yukon fairly quick and then into the NWT. We spent so much time playing with wildlife that fishing wasn't a big priority anyways.
    Sounds awesome. You should post the itinerary. Would love to see the route and how long each "leg" of the journey was.

I assume all 4 rotated driving duties? Or just you??

Thank You Dana for answering my questions ! Thank you for sharing !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

great pic's and trip Dana!! My wife and I did 7 weeks in Yukon and Alaska 5 years ago. I only wish I could have taken photos 1/2 as nice as yours.
    It is good to see your photos and stories back again!

Incredible pics....not many ppl can say they've swam in the Arctic Ocean, lol so how cold was it??