Thread: Gifting meat from another province

Gifting meat from another province

Hunting black bear is something I want to try and may take a crack at next spring while scouting some locations. However, I've never bothered going out for them because I don't like bear meat. Yes, I've tried it multiple ways from multiple sources. I won't shoot something I know won't be used. I'd love the rug, but no use for the meat.

That said, I just found out that a friend of mine in BC loves bear meat and would happily take it off my hands. I'm in Alberta and the meat would be pretty much raw cuts, no processing. He can grind, cut whatever he wants for his purposes. Are there any legalities I need to be aware of or follow if and when I deliver him a bunch of meat?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gifting meat from another province

You need to research exporting bear meat from Alberta and importing bear meat into BC. Read the regs of alberta.
    https://www.alberta.ca/exporting-wil...m-alberta.aspx
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I believe your cancelled tag acts as your export permit from Alberta as long as its done within 30 days
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Thats what it appears to be. Looks like it won't work though, since I'd shoot the bear in spring and won't be out his way until fall. I can't figure out the reasoning behind the 30 day rule.

you still may be able to do it.
    If the meat is butchered and labeled properly and you have the necessary paper work and evidence it was shot legally then you shouldnt have a problem with a permit to export from Alberta.
    I believe the 30 day rule is for those that come here and hunt and get an animal butchered before they go home to another province.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington