Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Salmon Escape Fish Farm

Re: Salmon Escape Fish Farm

I wish people and eco warriors would put half the effort and multi media posts into netting as they do for fish farms.
    Some of the biggest escapes happened in the 80s and 90s. Those fish never took to our rivers.

I don’t agree with them being in our waters, however they are the perfect nonracial scapegoat for the collapse of our salmon stocks.

Look at the massive and permanent damage done to ecological systems world wide caused by invasive species. Taking a conservative approach in regards to non native fish in our waters is simply good policy

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    I’m not a fish farmer but there is not one shred of evidence that fish farms are harmful. Produce one document! Seriously try to find one that’s isn’t native based Sierra club, rain coast . There isn’t any . Just extremists ramming there bullshit in everyone’s brains and you all eat it up.
    I second this. Amazes me how many fisherman eat up this false bs from antifarmers but cry the blues when people believe the same type os bs thrown at hunters. Check the sources.

Exactly...everybody likes to look at disease or the landslide on the Fraser and say that those are the causes of salmon decline....imho it has everything to do with over harvest or shrimp then herring then salmon.....you cant save salmon if you dont stop the harvesting of their food sources.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Turn over rate to slow, Atlantic’s reach the prime market size the quickest. And farming a pacific salmon species would not be any safer than Atlantic’s, in an open net pen that is.
    There is still farming of coho, chinook and sockeye because there is a viable market. One of the main reasons Atlantic’s are farmed over pacific salmon is the availability and cost of smolts. The industry for Atlantic’s is much older/larger giving way more options for stock and the availability of pacific salmon smolts or eyed eggs is limited. If memory is correct 1 hatchery alone in Ontario produces more Atlantic’s that all commercial pacific salmon hatcheries combined. Because of this farming pacific salmon is way more risky because if your supplier has an issue you maybe screwed trying to find an alternative

The turn around for pacific salmon is good and chinook is actually really good

So much BS propaganda out there it is unreal and this is another example

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    There is still farming of coho, chinook and sockeye because there is a viable market. One of the main reasons Atlantic’s are farmed over pacific salmon is the availability and cost of smolts. The industry for Atlantic’s is much older/larger giving way more options for stock and the availability of pacific salmon smolts or eyed eggs is limited. If memory is correct 1 hatchery alone in Ontario produces more Atlantic’s that all commercial pacific salmon hatcheries combined. Because of this farming pacific salmon is way more risky because if your supplier has an issue you maybe screwed trying to find an alternative

So it's a reliability issue for proper egg supply if I read that correctly?

I'm for the farming of fish, when done properly can be used as a viable source of food. Every action humans take always leaves a unintentional consequence. Pros and cons must be weighed. However not sure how I sit with the farming of invasive species. Seems as though it could be problematic. I'm a life long fisherman, never caught an Atlantic salmon but have obviously seen a decline in not only salmon in our waters but trout, char and burbot as well.

Is there a scientific approach to increasing wild fish populations?

More hatcheries would help shortterm but I'm not a real fan. For some reason our neighbors to the south are better at it but basically comes down to money. H abitat destruction and urban sprawl are the biggest problem. I can remember coho spawning in several small creeks and what some would call ditches in Campbell River area when I was a kid. All have been storm sewered or altered and no more fish. Lots of rearing areas logged and paved over for housing development. All the hard surfaces lead to high water flows in what remain of the creeks. Sadly comes down to not enough willpower to protect sensitive areas from growing population demands on the land. Factor in logging mining ocean survival and salmon are in real trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    So it's a reliability issue for proper egg supply if I read that correctly?

I'm for the farming of fish, when done properly can be used as a viable source of food. Every action humans take always leaves a unintentional consequence. Pros and cons must be weighed. However not sure how I sit with the farming of invasive species. Seems as though it could be problematic. I'm a life long fisherman, never caught an Atlantic salmon but have obviously seen a decline in not only salmon in our waters but trout, char and burbot as well.

Is there a scientific approach to increasing wild fish populations?
    Yes supply is part of the issue when it comes to pacific salmon farming but being a smaller industry it comes with other complications as well. Either way you will see less investment into this industry because of the bad press. Just like the inshore farms are suffering from backlash including new regulations that has now mad some farmers unable to operate within regulation. Some will be closing once the grace period has ended. There has definitely been major damage done to the smaller operation in aquaculture.

Is there scientific ways to improve wild stocks of course there is but wild stocks cannot handle the world’s commercial demand for fish. This is something many overlook because here in Canada our protein intake is not 80% plus fish like many other countries. This is where aquaculture is extremely important

There definitely can be improvements made to fisheries management for wild stocks but I don’t we will see anymore then user groups fighting over who keeps their rights to fish. When you are talking about fisheries out sides of salmon and steelhead they are overlooked for the most part. Basically throw around a few trout to appease the masses. I bet burbot are not even on the radar

Salmon issues have been discussed many times and I bet we can all touch on an issue or two we all agree on but the big issue is there is no effort to address them
    Last edited by Wild one; 12-26-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post

Dunno about that, a good friend has worked the Nootka/Esperanza farms for years. Perhaps his info is off, but highly unlikely...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Dunno about that, a good friend has worked the Nootka/Esperanza farms for years. Perhaps his info is off, but highly unlikely...
    I was a chairman for the aquaculture industry for 8 years.