Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to duck hunting

Re: New to duck hunting

Ryoung26, some days the ducks aren't flying. It can be anything from temperature, to "blue bird" days (sky blue and sun shining), to little wind or low tide. Pitt marsh is not my area but where I go you may not see the ducks until you go to a certain area and only if you can spend the time to sit and watch for an entire morning or afternoon. Your time driving past an area may have been the wrong snapshot of time to see them. Almost all animals are more active at dawn or dusk. Basically changing conditions prompt them to move, otherwise you have to jump them where they are resting. If you see them flying, they are trafficking from an area of rest to feeding or vice versa or just for social reasons.

silveragent, I do believe it was a combination of things which resulted in not seeing many birds. It was a relatively mild day, quite a bit of blue skies, little to no wind and it was in the early afternoon. I didn't spend too much time there, though I would like to scope it out better closer to sunrise on a day with better conditions for hunting. Have you tired Pitt marsh before? Is there a specific reason you don't hunt it?

It was a relatively mild day, quite a bit of blue skies, little to no wind and it was in the early afternoon.
    That would explain a lot. Bad weather for humans is good weather for ducks. Mid-day is resting time for most animals. In my area they are typically down in the flats eating away and any flights are random at that point.

Have you tired Pitt marsh before? Is there a specific reason you don't hunt it?
    Ladner is just closer to me and I just don't want to wake up the extra early time to get there. If I were closer I would try it. By reputation, though, I was told you need a boat or dog in that area which I do not yet have. Whereas in Brunswick and Boundary you can get away with not having either depending on the spot. If you were to spend a day at Pitt Marsh you would already know more than me. If that is closest to you, then that is what I would do. Just get out there for a day and observe or take your gun and hope to get lucky but you would definitely gain knowledge.
    Last edited by silveragent; 12-28-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    That would explain a lot. Bad weather for humans is good weather for ducks. Mid-day is resting time for most animals. In my area they are typically down in the flats eating away and any flights are random at that point.

Ladner is just closer to me and I just don't want to wake up the extra early time to get there. If I were closer I would try it. By reputation, though, I was told you need a boat or dog in that area which I do not yet have. Whereas in Brunswick and Boundary you can get away with not having either depending on the spot. If you were to spend a day at Pitt Marsh you would already know more than me. If that is closest to you, then that is what I would do. Just get out there for a day and observe or take your gun and hope to get lucky but you would definitely gain knowledge.
    Sadly, nothing firearms related is close to North Vancouver There is the odd rod and gun club dotted about in Poco, Richmond, and out in the Fraser Valley. But in terms of huntable land, and more specifically, "public" land to hunt, you best be ready for a field trip. Both Pitt marsh and Boundary Bay are just under an hour to get to from where I live. So there isn't one that's really "closer" for me. I guess I'll just have to scope out both, take my own readings for how long it takes to get there, how many birds frequent the area on given days, etc. and do my homework. But thanks for the tips and knowledge. Very appreciated.