Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KUIU clothing opinions?

KUIU clothing opinions?

Looking for recommendations/opinions on Kuiu clothing, including rain gear etc. . Was fortunate to win a package, but can make substitutions, so the brand is Kuiu and nothing else.
    I've got a fair bit of base and insulating layer clothing already, so I'm considering outer layers and rain gear.
    Experiences? Preferences?

Much appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: KUIU clothing opinions?

Talus Hybrid Pant. I have and I really liked it this past fall with it being wetter than usual. If it was drier I would have used my timberlines. Talus is a bit warmer than the timberlines. Highly recommend the Talus pants.

Kutana Softshell. In late Sept and October, this jacket was great. Water resistant and I was able to hike in the Nelson area. I sold the Guide jacket b/c it was too warm to hike in. Kutuna was much more breathable.

Peleton 240 is great. I'd probably prefer the hoodie version, but when it is dry and cool I wear the peleton quite bit. Even in snow as it still sheds snow if you brush against a snow cover tree. If it is 'snowing', then the guide was awesome.

hope that helps.

I have a friend who loves his Yukon hear.

I have the Peleton 240, a camo and a solid colour Guide for everyday wear, a Kenai and a full Yukon set. The Guide is a regular soft shell, nice jacket but nothing too special. The Kenai is a nice breathable insulation layer. I really like the Yukon rain gear, heavy duty and really waterproof.

I wear my Peleton 240 hoody every day, all day, 365.
    I think my Chugach jacket might be the best piece of equipment I have ever owned. Perfect ratio of durability to weight. Perfect placement and number of pockets. I own it it in Verde and Gunmetal now.
    I owned the full Yukon kit, but sold the jacket as I liked the lighter top shell. I still use the Yukon pants when its raining or during moose season in the cold, but they are a bit heavy duty to walk a bunch in. They are truly bullet proof though.
    I also wear my merino 1/4 zip. Very comfy base layer during the fall and winter.

Love KUIU gear. If I could afford it, I would get some gloves, maybe some puffy layers, and a pack next.

i have the Kuiu yukon rain gear and absolutely love it. I wear the jacket even when rain isn't in the mix, it is that comfortable.

I might add a couple Chugach pieces for my mountain hunt this summer, just because the Yukon stuff is a bit on the heavy side.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I have:

AXIS jacket. Form fitting, stretchy, warm enough and comfy. It sheds water very well and breathes very well. (Hybrid design with panels of waterproof/breathable fabric) I don't like that ALL the pockets have a mesh liner instead of fabric. I have reservations about the durability of the mesh. It does, however, improve the breathability I suppose. PIT ZIPS which I think are critical.

TALUS pants. Same idea, hybrid design. Heavy duty construction. It still stretches but not as much, but it has waterproof lower legs and butt which is awesome for sitting on logs and hiking through dewey grass/shrubs. It doesn't get picks from thorns. They have THIGH ZIPS to vent heat when you're climbing or packing weight. I don't like the mesh pockets, and the front pockets aren't zippered so I expected water to run down right inside, but it hasn't so far. I wish they were zippered.

Peloton 97 is my base or second base layer over merino every single day im out hunting. weighs nothing and a nice warm thin layer and i love the hood.
    Peloton 240 is one of the nicest hoodies I've ever owned, hunting or not. Has some good wind stopping to it, and is fairly light weight.

Merino or Peloton 97 base layer bottoms are awesome too with the side zipper. I cant believe no one else has done a side zipper on base layer bottoms.

Rain gear is as good as Sitka or Firstlite. As good as it gets.

Go with the stuff you need or will use the most.

All the big brands make pretty good gear these days.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Another for the Yukon, I am almost thinking of getting a solid green one for daily use.....

I have Yukon jacket and pants. Wear them all year round on the island. Dont need any other jacket. They are that comfortable.
    Peloton 200 hoodie is my midlayer or outer in warmer temps. Also comfortable enough to wear everyday.
    And Attack pants. They are the classic go to 4 way stretch pant.
    The jacket and hoodie are so comfortable I want them in solids, maybe the pants too. Lol