Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Proposed NEW elk season in Region 5

Re: Proposed NEW elk season in Region 5

The use of Precision guided projectiles would inevitable lead to the loss of hunting as a whole. The argument that a PGP is more humane, if you follow the logic, would lead to ONLY PGP being used (Anti hunting groups would push this on humane grounds) and then the removal of the unpredictable 'Human' element is just a matter of time. PGR are going to produce more humane kills than than non PGR Human's, so why allow Humans to shoot animals? The fact that you now have a human to press the trigger on a PGR won't last long... remote fireing PGR already exist...no need for imprecise hunters at all....

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Can u pm me a conscription for FUHKIDOL?
    X2 please...………………

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    Lets get out there and save the elk before they all disappear. Put your desires for a hat rack and some sweet, succulent venison on the backburner for a while. Let them recover. The world does not owe you an elk but it will be happy to give you an elk if there are enough to go around. Fuggedabout this region 5 elk opening. Leave it alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Now an elk hunt in zone 5 sounds great. If they aren't all shot before we get a draw.
    Some like Srupp, who started this thread, might have a way better idea about the amount of elk up there.
    If 3 to 5 years would make a big difference in #'s then I would say hold off, but if it is sustainable, go ahead.

But I hear what Tigr is saying as well.
    Is there enough to sustain the herd if some go in ahead of time?
    If some can go in and take out the whole harem in a single go, we have problems.
    What guarantees from the FN are there that this wont happen up there??
    And it has happened elsewhere, so lets not sugar coat it or bs ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Some like Srupp, who started this thread, might have a way better idea about the amount of elk up there.
    If 3 to 5 years would make a big difference in #'s then I would say hold off, but if it is sustainable, go ahead.

But I hear what Tigr is saying as well.
    Is there enough to sustain the herd if some go in ahead of time?
    If some can go in and take out the whole harem in a single go, we have problems.
    What guarantees from the FN are there that this wont happen up there??
    And it has happened elsewhere, so lets not sugar coat it or bs ourselves.
    Without FN’s (Red Bluff Band for the most part) supporting the harvest of only a handful of elk this hunt will not be sustainable.
    That means FN’s should be allowed to harvest the exact same number of elk that licensed hunters do.
    Any over harvest by them should warrant being charged by the COS.

I’ve watched the Quesnel River elk herd grow from a very small population to what at one time became a habituated headache of 100 plus elk spending the spring, summer and fall on my hayfields.

With some innovated management plans...fully endorsed by government...these elk were reprogrammed to break into smaller groups and spread out.
    The radio collars show this change in pattern...although the collars also show the elk for the most part do not move far.
    On young cow was an exception...she was net gunned and collared in front of my house...then made the trek from here to south of Princeton to turn around and come back.

Here’s the deal....a couple clowns at the local Rod & Gun have been in a sweat for years to be able to pull the trigger on a bull elk that up until lately was rarely on crown land.
    They’ve been repeatedly told killing one or 2 bulls on an LEH does nothing to stop elk from crop or feed yard damage.....for the most part.
    So....the Rod & Gun...Fed supporters can’t get their way so they partner with local FN’s and ask for a private land LEH winter elk hunt.

The R & G boys heads are too small under their hats to figure out that if this proposal goes thru they just threw any chance of a future GOS hunt out the door.

There will always be that special guy that’s to lazy to fence in his feed that can only think of one way to save it....kill all the elk.....all he will have to do in the future is pick up the phone and it’ll be a smaller version of the Suffield elk slaughter.
    This is what will happen....count on it.

The survivors will then be pushed back into safety zones....a couple ranches where they can’t be shot.
    Roll the clock back 20 years.
    Some..... and the group they represent....should never make a hunting related wildlife decision.
    Not very often is their thought process for the better of the wildlife....they are just worried about getting what they can for themselves.
    Union mentality....opportunity....opurtunity until F-all is left.
    Last edited by bearvalley; 12-21-2019 at 06:05 PM.

No , I don't know any specifics about this reg5 herd, but that matters little imo

"I’ve watched the Quesnel River elk herd grow from a very small population to what at one time became a habituated headache of 100 plus elk spending the spring, summer and fall on my hayfields."

Think this would have happened if a 6pnt was taken each year by legal hunting ?

If indigens are asked to follow the rules, are you suggesting an leh is a open permit ? any more so than a gos or even a closed season?
    I hear the myths but do they really wait for any kind of official season?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Thumbs up Re: Proposed NEW elk season in Region 5

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    ... Some..... and the group they represent....should never make a hunting related wildlife decision.
    Not very often is their thought process for the better of the wildlife....
    There are MANY "some's" that fit this bill.

Must be the sound of hell freezing over - I actually agree with everything you said.

Merry Christmas!!

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    There are MANY "some's" that fit this bill.

Must be the sound of hell freezing over - I actually agree with everything you said.

Merry Christmas!!

Nog
    Must be climate change!
    You’re right Matt....”some” covers a lot of country in this case.
    Merry Christmas to you and the Best in the New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    No , I don't know any specifics about this reg5 herd, but that matters little imo

"I’ve watched the Quesnel River elk herd grow from a very small population to what at one time became a habituated headache of 100 plus elk spending the spring, summer and fall on my hayfields."

Think this would have happened if a 6pnt was taken each year by legal hunting ?

If indigens are asked to follow the rules, are you suggesting an leh is a open permit ? any more so than a gos or even a closed season?
    I hear the myths but do they really wait for any kind of official season?
    Shooting 6 point bulls has bugger all to do with moving homesteader elk.

I know the Pitt river herd of elk, that there is an agreement by the local band, and they actually get 1 permit more (3) then RH (2) if I remember
    correctly (could be the other way around?)
    Anyways, this is a great way to ensure the elk #'s.
    Maybe one day when the Stave, Pitt and Squamish Herds get altogether, maybe we could have a GOS or at least a bigger LEH?
    Which would make the EK, WK and even the Peace folk happy to not see so many LM.
    Although I doubt that will ever happen.
    Lyton was a disaster, with the great help of a "few" FN (just a small group folks, not all FN) that slaughtered that herd and had that hunt
    shut down.
    And then I heard rumors of different FN band members thinking they have every right to go up into the Pitt and hunt elk.

That's all it takes to ruin it for everyone.
    And I didn't even mention the poachers that are not FN.

The more I talk, the more it is obvious we need way more CO's first.

My wife has been very lucky and drawn the private land leh bull elk tag for 5-02 jan 15 to feb 14

We are looking for any info that may help us plan this trip we need to secure some land owner permissions to make this happen. Weve reached out to the local biologists and the quesnel cattlemans association so far.

please reach out of you can help

thanks in advance