Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed NEW elk season in Region 5

Re: Proposed NEW elk season in Region 5

This thread is going off track, and I am not going to help it much either as there is another thread I believe on this exact thing.
    But I have target turrets on 1 rifle only because it was a replacement from Burris who F'd me over to begin with.
    Anyways, I don't see target turrets being banned.
    They are mechanical, and I know some scopes have built in range finders, but they aren't the issue.
    But when you basically have a computer mounted to the rifle, isn't that getting a little extreme?
    Does hunting have to be an activity to be done out to 1 km away or more?
    Why cant that extreme range be left to shooting at cowbells or something?

We don't allow phosphorous bullets.
    What's next, guns that kill by laser beam?
    Yes, Goat and sheep can be difficult to close the distance, but if you cant get within 500 yards, then is it hunting anymore?
    To me, it then sounds like a shooting sport/activity.
    Not like anyone is going to starve if the shot doesn't happen.

Lets just deal with the shit at hand.
    Deal with the other stuff when, or even if, it happens later.

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    I have to agree with the prohibition of PGF'S.We have too many "Cool Toys" for taking animals down.Whats wrong with hunting the old fashioned way?
    Everything in alot of peoples eyes ! .
    Hunting is to hard without a 3k rifle . 600 dollar binos
    10k quad . 1k set of camos scent killer . The list goes on . Hey if its legal and a guy feels that he needs it . Go for it and good luck! But most of it really is not needed to be succesfull in my opinion . If you cant get closer than a few hundred yards to your game then well thats to bad . All this new equipment is oretty neat some of it . But your right . Old fashioned all the way . Much more enjoyable . Some might like to spend thousands on gear and perhaps maybe even a guided trip for deer or whatever . Ill stick with my beater truck my 40 year old equipment a ton of good memorys and my wall in my living room reminding me everyday of the journeys and earned game and i did it all the old fashioned way .
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Bugle.....asking if shots taken beyond 500 yds is really hunting?? Slippery slope there sir!
    I'm sure those that take the time to acquire the skill at making extended range shots on animals, might similarly wonder if those who put the time and energy into a bait station to target deer are "really hunting"???
    Allowing members of the hunting community to be played off against each other based on the style of hunting they employ....is suicide to our lifestyle. Not supporting ALL our hunting brethren because one may not "approve" of their chosen method....further opens the door to this death of a thousand cuts we're experiencing right now.
    Whatever your chosen method, enjoy it and put in the time to do it to the best of your ability.

JMO
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    Bugle.....asking if shots taken beyond 500 yds is really hunting?? Slippery slope there sir!
    I'm sure those that take the time to acquire the skill at making extended range shots on animals, might similarly wonder if those who put the time and energy into a bait station to target deer are "really hunting"???
    Allowing members of the hunting community to be played off against each other based on the style of hunting they employ....is suicide to our lifestyle. Not supporting ALL our hunting brethren because one may not "approve" of their chosen method....further opens the door to this death of a thousand cuts we're experiencing right now.
    Whatever your chosen method, enjoy it and put in the time to do it to the best of your ability.

JMO
    That's fair, in the way that you state those that practice really hard to make those shots, I agree.
    However, there are folks taking those shots that don't as well.
    At what point is mounting/buying equipment that operates more like a computer enough.
    Because at that point, you are doing exactly the opposite of what you say, which is noy using ones "own skills".
    And I don't see how it is a slippery slope to state that some folks are "exceeding their limits".
    When is the truth a bad thing?

Even in hockey there are some rules as to the amount of curve on the blade.
    Does that make someone stating they have surpassed the curve an Anti hunter or made the game worse for those who play it?

I do agree, we have bigger issues to contend with, so no need for me to go on debating it.
    Each to their own.
    As for the big issues.
    I don't see it ever getting better.
    To me, I just see the beginning of the end here in BC.
    You have to have Politicians in your corner from what I can tell.
    And I don't ever see that really ever happening again (there was a time)
    And if there is one, good luck, as his/her hands will be tied if it relates to anything in the FN department.
    Heck, we have less and less politicians even supporting us to have guns.

Hmmmm sooo
    maybe .22 semi auto be confiscated..
    Maybe turret scopes will be deemed prohibited..rendered useless and illegal..
    Hmmmmmmm $$$$$$$ losses for some is getting stupidly expensive..
    Grrrrrrr

Well bugle....slobs are slobs, no matter the methodology.
    For the most part we as hunters are passionate, and yes, opinionated on our chosen lifestyle. As soon as we begin to project personal ethics choices onto another who is using a currently legal method.....we are driving the wedge and directly helping those trying to take away what we all want to protect.

JMO
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I love to shoot whitetail does with my 223 just deadly as long as they are standing still and I poke them behind the ear. Is that any less risky than taking a 600 yard shot with a 7mm? I prefer under 400 yards max for myself because that’s hunting according to me. My dad says it’s not real hunting until your within 100 yards lol. I say each to his own as long as it’s ethical and no risk of wounding which is really no guarantee at any distance. Hunting is hunting and I say do it the way you enjoy it best.

I sure hope that this elk leh does not turn into the same debacle as the Chasm sheep leh. That one is done. came and went. rammajamma no more.
    I have let more 6 point bull elk walk than most hunters have ever seen in their entire life. Stop shooting 5 point bulls and leaving them to rot. Identify the target before squeezing the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerslayer4 View Post
    You mean with clubs, spears and rocks?
    Sure if thats what you want to use - Be More FAIR CHASE then ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    Well bugle....slobs are slobs, no matter the methodology.
    For the most part we as hunters are passionate, and yes, opinionated on our chosen lifestyle. As soon as we begin to project personal ethics choices onto another who is using a currently legal method.....we are driving the wedge and directly helping those trying to take away what we all want to protect.

JMO
    I wasn't try to make a comment to put others down.
    The fact is, I have had to look at myself too in the past.
    Yes, I have taken a lot of elk at 325 yards.
    But once, there was this monster WT at 375 yards.
    The distance is something I have shot at the range no problem.
    But there was a problem this time, I had a shitty shitty rest, and knew it while I was trying hard to keep the cross hairs on it.
    I hit, but not well, not at all and spent 2 days looking for it.
    Got back to camp the 2nd night, looked at my partner and said "I wont do that again".
    He says "what do you mean, go look for a deer that long"?
    I said no, take a shot at something when I knew the whole time it wasn't a great set up, and had doubts.

So often we make the joke about FN being stewards of the land, knowing that it is more gimmick then true now days.
    But, do we look at ourselves enough at times?
    I realized something that day.
    That yes, I may work my ass off for days, even years looking for a shooter, but that still doesn't mean I deserve to have something hanging on the meat pole, so go ahead and just take a poke at it anyways.
    We always talk about the fact Anti's think we are just killers, but we often try to say we have an immense Respect for the creatures we
    stalk and hunt.
    Well, me taking a poke at that buck was "disrespectful" to that buck, because I knew better then to take that shot under that circumstance.

Think part of the scope ban went right over folks heads because of rage at the thought of the idea.
    I hope many realize it could have been just as easy a proposal to have said Xbow ban.
    1 part was the poaching aspect of them. (think most got that point)
    The other part was there are too many hunters in the CO's minds that are taking shots at extreme distances that should know better.

So, if the statement about me saying that we as hunters should stop sometimes and reflect at our own actions, and thus be better hunters
    and better in the eyes of non hunters, does that mean I don't care about hunters?
    Or, does it mean I care enough about hunters and hunting, that I am just reminding them that a few an ruin it for everyone.
    To me, hunting should be way more then the shot that was just pulled off, or if I cut my tag.

Sometimes we are not just our own worst enemies by the way we think others should be, and fight about it, but by the actions we also take
    while out in the field.