Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Proposed NEW elk season in Region 5

Re: Proposed NEW elk season in Region 5

With all the high tech electronics available in the sports fishing industry today, it's more like catching instead of fishing. I'm probably a hypocrite if I made a negative comment towards range finder electronic scopes because I use a range finder binoculars, I also like to play with game cameras. But we only set them up when we're in deer camp to see what's in our hunting area. Long range hunting, humm don't know, theirs people out there that say it's totally irresponsible and unethical. Hunting over bait, again, some say there's less chance of making a mistake by shooting wrong species, sex, and much less chance of making a bad shot. Some say that's not hunting! You're just shooting animals without any hunting skills. Maybe if they restricted the use of electronic scopes to strictly predictor control? When you look at all the high tech equipment that's available to hunters now, does it make us more successful and accurate and ethical hunters? Maybe. Or does this equipment make you less skilled and unethical? I remember talking to some buddies who were none hunters at a local coffee shop after I just gotten back from a hunting trip, one guy asked me what type of firearm I use? I told them that I have nice big game rifle and a really good scope mounted on it. His response was, well where's the sport in that? I told him that the last thing we want to do is make sport out of killing the animals we hunt. We use the best equipment that we can afford and practice allot so we can dispatch these animals as quickly and ethically ,humanely as possible. His response was, I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. Just throwing out some thoughts. I'm sitting here watching the wild TV and every second commercial is about the latest and greatest hunting clothing, the most accurate rifles, best scopes, the best trail cameras, the best sent elimination sprays and devices, on an on. At least they band drones for hunting applications. I don't know any hunters that disagreed with that, although there might be some. Just some thoughts, just some thoughts.

Re: Proposed NEW elk season in Region 5

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    You better read that LEH proposal for Region 5 elk.
    First off it was supposedly brought forward by First Nation and stakeholders.
    You would think that would mean that the private landowners where these elk congregate would have been asked for input.
    Then when you read the proposal it’s for 0-2% antlerless tags and 0-5% bulls.
    You can bet the LEH authorizations will be real close to 0% of both....maybe 1% bulls to open the door.
    Now look at the LEH dates...mid November to mid February.... any crop destruction is long done before then and the ones that had problems in the past with stored feed have built elk proof feed yards.
    When you cut through the BS this is nothing more than a call for a legal 12 month elk harvest of both cows, calves and bulls for the local band anywhere in Region 5.
    This will push elk back onto private land as in the past because that will be the safety zone.
    If the Ministry wants an elk season in this area it should be GOS for 6 point or better bulls, on both private and crown land in mid September for no more than a 1 week opening.
    Bureaucrats need to cut the bullshit.
    Dam, I have to agree with Mikey again.
    I wonder how this outcome will come into play down the road?
    http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/a...0and%20rights.
    Three Indigenous men charged with illegal hunting will pay fines of $500 each after pleading guilty to trespassing Tuesday in a case the Penticton Indian Band says speaks to larger issues of land title and rights.
    Cole Kruger, Felix Thomas Kruger and Fred Kruger initially were charged with trespassing, unlawful possession of dead wildlife and discharging a firearm in a no-shooting area, but the latter two counts were dropped as part of a plea deal entered on what was to be the first day of trial in provincial court.
    Crown counsel Karla Dodds told the court that in the early hours of Jan. 29, 2017, a resident of Greyback Mountain Road spotted a truck driving up the road, and soon after heard a firearm discharge.

After driving up the road, the same man witnessed all three Kruger men approximately 100 metres on private property with an animal carcass. The property was fenced with No Trespassing signs visible.
    “At no time did the (property owner) give permission to Cole Kruger, Felix Kruger or Fred Kruger to be on the subject property,” said Dodds.
    Conservation officers and RCMP arrived at the scene and identified the Krugers, one of whom, Fred, was later elected to band council.
    In a joint sentencing submission, the Crown counsel asked for a fine of $500, which amounted to a significant step up from the minimum $115 penalty.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"