Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed NEW elk season in Region 5

Re: Proposed NEW elk season in Region 5

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Wild one.....we’re back to the same old “opportunity group” BS.
    The local R & G club has a few members that have been drooling over these elk for years.
    So ....if they can’t get their way they partner up to push in.
    Go figure.....a handful of hunters might kill a licensed bull but it’ll be a short term hunt....then it’ll all be over.
    now that you lay it out that way, I don't see a problem with the new opening. Whacking the legal bull won't do anything detrimental to the herd, the calves will still hit the ground.

anyone,
    What should the target pop number be before this goes gos?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    now that you lay it out that way, I don't see a problem with the new opening. Whacking the legal bull won't do anything detrimental to the herd, the calves will still hit the ground.

anyone,
    Straight over your head

FN want the season to eliminate any bad press causing possible backlash where laws might actually be enforced with their members harvesting elk the way they presently do. They are supporting this so they can harvest elk on the up and up taking away any worries of even the slightest chance of issues

The 6-04 LEH(actually it started as soon as there was word of the proposal) definitely caused an increase in FN elk harvest. The limiting factor there is the ranchers who won’t allow access and patrol their property

This is the issue but I know your mentality is hunters have no impact so this will fall on deaf ears

oh, that conspiracy.....

in another thread you singled out the local f&g club members as the supporters
    windy out , huh
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

oh, that conspiracy.....

in another thread you singled out the local f&g club members as the supporters
    windy out , huh
    both groups supporting it but never mind waste of typing

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I wasn't try to make a comment to put others down.
    The fact is, I have had to look at myself too in the past.
    Yes, I have taken a lot of elk at 325 yards.
    But once, there was this monster WT at 375 yards.
    The distance is something I have shot at the range no problem.
    But there was a problem this time, I had a shitty shitty rest, and knew it while I was trying hard to keep the cross hairs on it.
    I hit, but not well, not at all and spent 2 days looking for it.
    Got back to camp the 2nd night, looked at my partner and said "I wont do that again".
    He says "what do you mean, go look for a deer that long"?
    I said no, take a shot at something when I knew the whole time it wasn't a great set up, and had doubts.

So often we make the joke about FN being stewards of the land, knowing that it is more gimmick then true now days.
    But, do we look at ourselves enough at times?
    I realized something that day.
    That yes, I may work my ass off for days, even years looking for a shooter, but that still doesn't mean I deserve to have something hanging on the meat pole, so go ahead and just take a poke at it anyways.
    We always talk about the fact Anti's think we are just killers, but we often try to say we have an immense Respect for the creatures we
    stalk and hunt.
    Well, me taking a poke at that buck was "disrespectful" to that buck, because I knew better then to take that shot under that circumstance.

Think part of the scope ban went right over folks heads because of rage at the thought of the idea.
    I hope many realize it could have been just as easy a proposal to have said Xbow ban.
    1 part was the poaching aspect of them. (think most got that point)
    The other part was there are too many hunters in the CO's minds that are taking shots at extreme distances that should know better.

So, if the statement about me saying that we as hunters should stop sometimes and reflect at our own actions, and thus be better hunters
    and better in the eyes of non hunters, does that mean I don't care about hunters?
    Or, does it mean I care enough about hunters and hunting, that I am just reminding them that a few an ruin it for everyone.
    To me, hunting should be way more then the shot that was just pulled off, or if I cut my tag.

Sometimes we are not just our own worst enemies by the way we think others should be, and fight about it, but by the actions we also take
    while out in the field.
    I just wishes peeps would not shoot 5 tine bull elk in a 6 point season and leave em to rot. THAT WOULD BE A GREAT REFLECTION OF ONES ACTIONS
    I have let more 6 point bull elk walk than most hunters have ever seen in their entire life. Stop shooting 5 point bulls and leaving them to rot. Identify the target before squeezing the trigger.

anyone,
    You sure ride for the brand....be it right or wrong.
    Your Region 5 Fed rep asked last spring for support on this LEH proposal....I told him I won’t.
    If this hunt goes ahead these elk will never reach a larger population number than we are seeing today.
    Not all landowners in the area where this hunt is to take place think like I do.
    Theres at least one of my neighbours that wants them gone and under whats proposed you can bet your ass that the hunters that do not have to abide to the LEH rules will be lined up.

If a season opens it it should be short, 6 point bulls and fully controlled with the local bands agreeing to what their harvest will be as well.
    Make everyone play ball the same....some of the Bands in Region 5 have signed on that they can be charged by the COS.....get them ALL on board.

You got any historical knowledge of these elk or thoughts on how to manage them.... Bill?
    Last edited by bearvalley; 12-20-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Here is a solution that might appease the mob and neighbouring ranchers:

1.) Identify an area in BC that has suffered a signficant decline in elk numbers. (easy peasey)
    2.) Initiate an aerial wolf eradication progam in the target area. (stealth night vision commando style)
    3.) Live capture some of the herd and transplant. (big wheels rollin with with big bulls (and ladies) on board)

Its been done before and it worked.

And ffs, do not under any circumstance involve any indian in this process. Just grow a set and do it. I am talking to you Big G.

Failing that, perhaps BC can initiate a new trade deal with New Mexico and Colorado and Wyoming and Montana and Idaho - Wolves for Elk
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 12-20-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    I have let more 6 point bull elk walk than most hunters have ever seen in their entire life. Stop shooting 5 point bulls and leaving them to rot. Identify the target before squeezing the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    Here is a solution that might appease the mob and neighbouring ranchers:

1.) Identify an area in BC that has suffered a signficant decline in elk numbers. (easy peasey)
    2.) Initiate an aerial wolf eradication progam in the target area. (stealth night vision commando style)
    3.) Live capture some of the herd and transplant. (big wheels rollin with with big bulls (and ladies) on board)

Its been done before and it worked.

And ffs, do not under any circumstance involve any indian in this process. Just grow a set and do it. I am talking to you Big G.
    Normal big G response sorry there is not enough funding in the budget

I think this is what they are referring to as precision guided scopes and firearms. Cool system but would not support it for game animals. Would be cool if it could still be allowed for predators of Schedule C animals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lE04AqEysc

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxtech View Post
    I think this is what they are referring to as precision guided scopes and firearms. Cool system but would not support it for game animals. Would be cool if it could still be allowed for predators of Schedule C animals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lE04AqEysc
    Yes, it would be cool for preds.
    BUT, if they make it legal, there will be some that use it for far more worse things that give us a bad name in the end.
    Sometimes it is just better to keep the box closed, as once pandoras box is open, you can never control it again.
    Same with the Xbows.
    Had policy makes come together and "limited the FPS" of them, the manufacturers may not have strived to get faster etc.
    Kept it an alternative short range weapon, rather then mid range might of helped.
    Cant make people "practice more" before going out in the field.

I look at hunting like golf.
    Its something you will never perfect.
    We go hunting to hunt, and to fail more then we succeed, which like golf, makes you come back to do it again.
    If all you ever did was shoot 18 straight hole in ones, round after round, it would lose its appeal.
    But every now nd then, you rip one of the sweet spot, and that keeps you coming back.
    I just wonder if some of us have forgotten that?