Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not a lot of birds flying this past week

Re: Not a lot of birds flying this past week

Saw tons of pintails yesterday Brunswick. They are out there. Smaller mallard groups but again they are out there. For some reason not much teal, maybe they moved on.

Was out last week in the S/E blow and rain did good with 8 ,but noticed they were definitely getting spinner shy ,turned off the robo and had mostly pairs and singles come in probably to my dekes which were dancing in the wind.So Wildfowl article I read referred to putting the dekes close together in mod-heavy wind to simulate huddling?Something I have never tried in all my years so going to give it a go ,see if its an east coast thing or ..

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Was out last week in the S/E blow and rain did good with 8 ,but noticed they were definitely getting spinner shy ,turned off the robo and had mostly pairs and singles come in probably to my dekes which were dancing in the wind.So Wildfowl article I read referred to putting the dekes close together in mod-heavy wind to simulate huddling?Something I have never tried in all my years so going to give it a go ,see if its an east coast thing or ..
    I've heard that birds that are close together are on the leery side and being cautious. Birds that are spaced further apart are more relaxed. Not sure how these theories apply to heavier wind on the water, though.

I think decoy spacing is subjective and can vary depending on the area you hunt. In one spot I hunt on a real low tide we can pile the decoys in to a particular channel of water and the birds love it. You can watch the birds with binos from the road and they literally land on top of each other in these spots. So we try and replicate what we see live birds do in these spots. Add a bit of current and wind to get the decoys bouncing and it's awesome. On higher tides when we have more water to work with we do better spreading the decoys out a bit more.

I do think though on any given day, it's the little things that screw you. Movement, looking up at birds that are circling, poorly brushed in blind........
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-27-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I've heard that birds that are close together are on the leery side and being cautious. Birds that are spaced further apart are more relaxed. Not sure how these theories apply to heavier wind on the water, though.
    Yes have always done it that way in the past,same on the prairies just curious as they do it in the late season on some fields back east and as Ron said in the water its pretty well how they land when you throw them out at LW part of the game try something newer if it works great ,if not back to square ..

Quote Originally Posted by Gone_Fishin_ View Post
    It's been pretty decent inland around the Chilliwack area, not as many as were used to seeing this time of year but have had some great shoots this past week. Saturday i went solo for a few hours and managed 7 nice mallards with no spinner and only a dozen floaters in the field. Sunday buddy and i took my boat out and hit a back channel, mix of mallards, wood ducks a single widgeon and finished with a hen merganser. 14 total, we unfortunately lost 2 to the bushes and couldn't find them. Counted those in our bag limit so called it a day at 11:00.

Craziest first light ever though, we probably had around 250-300 mallards in the decoys and i swear a thousand wood ducks were flying above us. Would have been nice if the guys a few fields over didn't shoot 5 minutes before legal causing everything to flush out on us while we waited for legal shooting time.
    got any pics of those wood ducks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.