Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Hunting regulation change consultation

Re: Hunting regulation change consultation

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    ...The closure has done nothing to improve mule deer numbers or improve hunting opportunities in region 5.
    If you had ultimate power over the regulations... how would you change them to increase mule deer numbers?

Side note (not directed at you): we can't say we need to hunt more predators to bring their numbers down and then on the other hand say hunters don't have an effect on ungulate populations, so we can have longer seasons and increased harvest numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Woah, if you'really sick eat some soda crackers and drink a ginger ale...

#1... they already shut down the antlered mule deer season in region 5 in November.

#2... my hypothetical idea allows for more opportunity for youth and senior hunters.

#3... if I really wanted exclusive hunting rights, I'd wish that hunting was shut down for everyone except for me.

#5... if you actually get out hunting instead of posting fear mongering threads of articles you find on the Internet, you'll be a lot happier.
    I was joking about you making me sick. Sounded funny to me.

But seriously....

Hunters publicly advocating its a good idea to shut down the best hunting times of the year. On a thread about public input for regulation changes.

not very wise.

I wonder if your submissions to the government included requests to shut down the rut in other regions???
    Why not open the reg 5 rut in your hypothetical idea of best case scenario ideal hunting regs?
    Because deer get stupid and lots of guys end up shooting big bucks, and you get real nervous and jealous when other guys are shooting big bucks?
    Closing the rut without real science and results to back it up is just an attempt at trophy management and nervous jealously over big bucks being shot by others IMO.

If hunters advocating for restrictions on ourselves spend less time picking their butthole, sniffing it and dreaming about limiting everyone else's best opportunities at big bucks so one day they might get a big buck...... they would realize the dwindling opportunities, serious loss of land access we are facing and hold onto the open seasons we have left with white knuckles.

and if people took some of the "fear mongering" by others in the past seriously, about breakdowns in society and terrible paths our government are taking our country down while selling us out....places like Kamloops might not be as crime, needle infested, violent places. Maybe you could have got out there and enjoyed the rut instead of having your truck smashed and gear stolen.

You are probably right though. If I spent less time being aware of the serious irreversible problems we are facing within, and outside of hunting, i'd be a lot happier.
    It's real easy and happier to focus on me, myself and I. Better to drive off the cliff when you don't know its there right?

Spent close to 25 days hunting this season, including a 10 day backpack hunt. I get my big buck every year, this year too! Makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    If you had ultimate power over the regulations... how would you change them to increase mule deer numbers?

Side note (not directed at you): we can't say we need to hunt more predators to bring their numbers down and then on the other hand say hunters don't have an effect on ungulate populations, so we can have longer seasons and increased harvest numbers.

1.) No open or leh doe season for anyone

2.) Stricter enforcement of speeding and reduced speed limits on highways in areas with known deer populations living close to highways (everywhere lol)

3.) LARGE SCALE PREDATOR MANAGEMENT (wolves, coyotes, cougar) THIS IS A MUST.

4.) Better Alignment of opening and closing dates across regions in order to spread out hunting pressure.

5.) Reduction of motor vehicle access restrictions. (again to spread out hunting pressure and reduce concentration of hunters)

6.) Do not allow cattle grazing or range fence on crown land

And last but not least, mandatory painting of all green alfalfa fields to the rainbow colour pattern. This may prevent does from flocking to the green, green grass of home and deter the big, macho, heman bucks from entering field. It would also make you feel much better while hunting as "rainbow" seems to be a colour that I believe you enjoy.
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 12-18-2019 at 10:46 AM.
    I have let more 6 point bull elk walk than most hunters have ever seen in their entire life. Stop shooting 5 point bulls and leaving them to rot. Identify the target before squeezing the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    and some also manage to a lower ratio.
    For the most part, BC reports ratios above their minimum but don't state actual figures that I can find

As for Colorado they had a ratio they felt was too high and actually managed toward a reduction to come more inline with ideals
    Most manage 30% plus and when they manage for lower then 20% it’s for select zones(usually with a low of 15%)and other zones that will exceed 50% at times. Most herds are managed beyond 20%

Colorado at one time actually had a decline in populations that was deemed as a result of too low of a ratio. In all honesty I have not heard anything about the attempt to lower their ratios so can’t comment on it

Regardless BC management is a lower ratio then most jurisdictions manage for

The mule deer buck hunting closure fom Nov. 10-Nov.20 has not improved deer numbers or pregnancy rates.
    It should be stricken from the rules althogether.

All it serves to do is limit hunting opportunities and jam hunters into region 3 during the 10 day closure. Hunters then crowd back into Gang Bang Ranch in droves when it reopens.

Mule deer numbers are at an all time low in region 5. The 10 day closure has not resulted in any type of mule deer population improvement.
    It was done as a comprise do to backlash the bio received and this created in effectively results to correct the issue

Really the main population problems are far beyond legal hunting and regs won’t fix it

1.) No open or leh doe season for anyone You know, I say we need a doe season to bring buck/doe ratios into balance, but I'm against cow moose harvest? so I could be swayed on this.

2.) Stricter enforcement of speeding and reduced speed limits on highways in areas with known deer populations living close to highways (everywhere lol) Oh jeebus... if we could claim roadkill, I'd never have to touch the trigger again. Just cruise between the puddle and 100 mile once a week. BOOM 5 deer in the freezer.

3.) LARGE SCALE PREDATOR MANAGEMENT (wolves, coyotes, cougar) THIS IS A MUST. Agreed. Hunters (especially me) should be out hunting predators right now.

4.) Better Alignment of opening and closing dates across regions in order to spread out hunting pressure. Black bears in 7-8 you can the fall starting August 15. But wander across the Cottonwood River (I'm pretty sure is the boundary, which I can swim across and I'm not even a good swimmer) and you have to wait to hunt black bears until September 10. Makes nunna sense to me

5.) Reduction of motor vehicle access restrictions. (again to spread out hunting pressure and reduce concentration of hunters) yeaah... nooo... I hate it when I'm out hoofin it and a side by side goes blowing by blasting Luke Bryan. Meanwhile I've cruised roads blasting Lamb Of God... soooo... I wouldn't be sad if there was more vehicle restrictions... but... I won't push for them.

And last but not least, mandatory painting of all green alfalfa fields to the rainbow colour pattern. This may prevent deer from flocking to the green, green grass of home. It would also make you feel much better as "rainbow" seems to be a colour that I believe you enjoy ah ha ha ha ha, pure gold. I love it.

[QUOTE=Sirloin;2139524]I was joking about you making me sick. Sounded funny to me.

But seriously....

Hunters publicly advocating its a good idea to shut down the best hunting times of the year. On a thread about public input for regulation changes.

not very wise. sometimes you eat a big bag of sourpatch kids even though you know it'll make your teeth hurt, but you do it anyways.

I wonder if your submissions to the government included requests to shut down the rut in other regions??? I said my piece on proposed regulation changes, which you can see... but no I'm not for or against rut closures anywhere.

Why not open the reg 5 rut in your hypothetical idea of best case scenario ideal hunting regs? A week of closed hunting saves me money
    Because deer get stupid and lots of guys end up shooting big bucks, and you get real nervous and jealous when other guys are shooting big bucks? I've never been jealous or nervous about big bucks. Excited? sure. Have I got big deer? Yup... Do I get upset when I don't get one? nope.
    Closing the rut without real science and results to back it up is just an attempt at trophy management and nervous jealously over big bucks being shot by others IMO. Not being able to shoot a deer between September 1 through November 10th and November 21 through December 10th and needing that week in November to get your deer... there was plenty of impressive deer taken in region 5 during October this year.

If hunters advocating for restrictions on ourselves spend less time picking their butthole, sniffing it and dreaming about limiting everyone else's best opportunities at big bucks so one day they might get a big buck...... they would realize the dwindling opportunities, serious loss of land access we are facing and hold onto the open seasons we have left with white knuckles. Loss of access is a shit kicker... use to hunt a spot near Blue Lake north of town, then it was shutdown. Farwell Canyon, this one is kind of shitty. It use to be great for hunting. But Douglas Lake Ranch has that shut down. But on the other hand, mountain bikers have put the area on the world map. So if enough people are invested in the area, they'll have an interest on keeping that area pristine. Not 100% sure how I feel on Farwell yet. Would like to discuss that with several different viewpoints. Meldrum Creek/Moons Ranch use to be amazing! Absolutely amazing for deer hunting. Do I know the cause of the decline? No. But I do know there's way less access and way less deer in that area now and haven't hunted that way for over 10 years now.

and if people took some of the "fear mongering" by others in the past seriously, about breakdowns in society and terrible paths our government are taking our country down while selling us out....places like Kamloops might not be as crime, needle infested, violent places. Maybe you could have got out there and enjoyed the rut instead of having your truck smashed and gear stolen. Shitty things happen everywhere... but short answer, it's a hunting site, not CNN.

You are probably right though. If I spent less time being aware of the serious irreversible problems we are facing within, and outside of hunting, i'd be a lot happier.
    It's real easy and happier to focus on me, myself and I. Better to drive off the cliff when you don't know its there right? Not against being informed... well maybe a little bit. (driving off a legit cliff is a nightmare I have regularly lol) Hunting is about escaping "society" and we may be off topic now?

Spent close to 25 days hunting this season, including a 10 day backpack hunt. I get my big buck every year, this year too! Makes me happy. It would be really cool if you shared those hunting stories. Especially since I know you put spaces.

Come on folks get with it. It was proven long ago by biologists that white tailed deer displace mule deer and kill them with their huge racks. And they do not coexist, they do not interbreed, and they will never under any circumstance share a meal together in an alfalfa field. The huge aggressive whitetail will kill the mule deer before it hops the fence.
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 12-18-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    I have let more 6 point bull elk walk than most hunters have ever seen in their entire life. Stop shooting 5 point bulls and leaving them to rot. Identify the target before squeezing the trigger.

[QUOTE=caddisguy;2139369]So they are banning all spear hunting because with the rational that animals are maimed, suffer and die. I wonder what the stats on that actually are? How many people spear hunt and is the ratio of animals suffering more or less than rifles?

I wonder how the first nations feel about this...after all isn't a stick the original North American hunting tool..???

All these issues folks, the bickering, the divide, all stems from one common denominator!
    LACK OF GAME!!!

If our Wildlife Pops were in good shape, hunting would be reasonably good out there for everyone, from RH, to GO's to FN.
    That is just the plain truth Folks!!!

Think of BC as the "pie plate".
    Well, inside that plate, there are now only "crumbs" to be had!!
    ASK WHY!!!!!!

The MINISTRY and the Government of today and way to the past, have created this issue.
    And we have been foolish and blaming each other because we haven't seen the trees before the forest!

The only thing I can think of, if it is a possibility, is to take the Ministry etc to Court!
    They have not acquired sufficient funding over the years, which can be proven at a minimum by our tags not going fully back into
    conservation.
    Things like Pred management, in particular Wolf Cull, due to "political gain", meaning they are more concerned about being re-elected then
    to do what is needed (sometimes you have to do whats best by going against the grain) and that also can be proven by volumes of
    Bio documents expressing professionally what was needed and they have ignored!

Lack of Protection to habitat, and we see that now with the whole Killer Whale issue due to private sector interests at the expense of the
    BC Residents, the actual owners of the land!

I could go on and on about all the evidence that is right in front of us all!!!

IF the FN, BCWF, GOABC, WSS and whoever else is out there would all go in together, to fight the Government/Ministry at a "legal level",
    you might be able to save the wildlife and possibly our hunting heritage.

Otherwise, the sand is about to have fully trickled out of the hour glass.
    Game Over is just around the corner.
    Does nobody see that??????

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Thanks for the extra insight into that. I did not think of cats having to kill more ungulates because they were getting pushed off kills.
    Caddisguy you have to realize what husky wrote is coming from a guy that is a ungulate hunter, and from what he wrote doesnt like cats and doesnt no that much about them.
    The EK use to be on a quota for cats so if it was meet season was shut down, thus the pursuit season so people could still chase. Now did this have issues sure like those that
    would try to kill the female quota right away so the season would be shut etc. There was also years were the quota was meet and they never shut the season down still left
    it open. They have to be managed like anything along with the hunters but imo it really hasn't been done well.