Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: BCWF supports BAN on crossbow scopes

Re: BCWF supports BAN on crossbow scopes

The whole sense of archery season is to give archers a competitive advantage as they chose not to use modern tools such as scopes. It’s getting ridiculous if you use a 450fps crossbow with a scope during archery season, because then you can take a rifle as well. Archers are working their ass off during that season, I get why some find it unfair if somebody with a 12x scope comes around.

Arrow Re: BCWF supports BAN on crossbow scopes

Quote Originally Posted by dany View Post
    ... It’s getting ridiculous if you use a 450fps crossbow with a scope during archery season, because then you can take a rifle as well. Archers are working their ass off during that season, I get why some find it unfair if somebody with a 12x scope comes around.
    Another uninformed divisionist in the ranks I see.
    With all of three posts??

Well, at least the powers that be came to their senses and tossed out this over-reaching motion before it gained too much traction.

Cheers
    Nog: Hunting with a 380 fps bow topped by a 2.5 power scope.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

What Nog said.

Hunting with a 410fps with scope.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Well said Nog and Foxton. Tired of being preached at by the elite. It's bad enough that we have to listen to the sanctimonious idiot in Ottawa but it's sad to be coming from fellow hunters.

So...saw this pop up with the newest 3 comments.

Question: was there ever any truth to the original claim that BCWF supported this ban? I certainly never saw any indication of it anywhere.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    So...saw this pop up with the newest 3 comments.

Question: was there ever any truth to the original claim that BCWF supported this ban? I certainly never saw any indication of it anywhere.
    Hey Rob. As you probably know, the discussion, and issue/topic at the time was a proposal to remove the crossbow from the R6 Archery only moose season. Bowhunters questioned the proposal and requested that science be used to determine whether the proposal was viable. The Gov biologists 'decided' an alternative (middle ground) proposal was warranted, and thus the scope removal on the crossbow was proposed. Once proposed, there was no real public or organizational review of the new / revised proposal.

Thanks JT. You provide better detail than I remember, but I was pretty sure that there was never any support from BCWF for the ban, and I remember knowledgeable bowhunters having the best insight.

Coming home from a hunt last night I saw this had popped up again and felt like stirring the pot a bit by pointing out the the thread subject line "BCWF supports BAN on crossbow scopes" was completely untrue, and subsequent judgments of how the BCWF was all kinds of wrong for supporting the ban (which it never did) are kind of offside.

Your comment also addresses, I think the charge that BCWF didn't rush to the barricades fast enough to denounce the proposed ban (which was proposed by government and which never really gained much traction).
    Rob Chipman

Actually it is totally true. The proposed resolution discussed by BCWF Region 2 was to ban crossbows with scopes from hunting in archery season. It was made public by a sitting board member who was latter suspended for outing their dirty little secret before it could go to AGM, It was quickly dropped after that.

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

"Actually the proposed resolution discussed by BCWF Region 2 was to ban crossbows with scopes from hunting in archery season."

The BCWF Region 2 Board is, as you probably know, not the entire BCWF, and things that they discuss at their meetings are not BCWF positions.

"It was brought to light by a sitting board member who was latter suspended for outing their dirty little secret before it could go to AGM, It was quickly dropped after that."

So, if I understand you correctly, the guys at Region 2 discussed the ban, and it never went further than a discussion at the Region 2 board? That makes sense. I never heard it discussed much during any official BCWF business except to hear reports that the proposal existed, that it came from government and that didn't have a lot of support.

Of course, I think we all understand that a regional board of the BCWF discussing sending a resolution to the BCWF's AGM entails the regional board to draft a resolution (either opposing or supporting the ban, in this case) and then sending it to the BCWF resolutions committee for review to see if it can get on the AGM agenda.

I don't know if Region 2 supported or opposed the ban (although Chuck Zuckerman was quite clear that neither he nor BCWF supported the ban), but as you point out, Foxton, region 2 never moved forward with any resolution either supporting or opposing the ban.

Again, when I heard about the proposed ban it was described as a government proposal that didn't have a lot of support for a lot of reasons.

It's really tough to spin that as "BCWF supports a BAN on crossbow scopes". It's sort of an irresponsible claim, frankly.
    Rob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    The proposed resolution discussed by BCWF Region 2 was to ban crossbows with scopes from hunting in archery season. It was made public by a sitting board member who was latter suspended for outing their dirty little secret before it could go to AGM, It was quickly dropped after that.
    Correct. That was a proposed resolution (many of us know exactly who it came from and why) which was in addition to the one the government came up with in it's so-called consultation process. As I recall, the Region 2 consideration was not so much focused on scopes, but the outright banning of crossbow use in archery seasons overall. The government "compromise" focused more on the scopes, which would have had close to the same effect IMO.

The board member who was ousted for bringing this to light is a responsible and respectful individual with a long track record of doing what is best for the resource. Those who ousted him come off as petty little trolls with an axe to grind over someone exposing their behind-the-door plot (which is exactly what it was). Shameful.

Again, at this stage none of this was passed. Thankfully.

However the moving of the archery moose hunt to LEH as an alternative is simply one more indication of just how far out there wildlife management in this province really is.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me