Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: B.C First Nations Ban Caribou Hunting As Populations Dwindle

Re: B.C First Nations Ban Caribou Hunting As Populations Dwindle

VERY well said and you are 110% correct in your comments.

Thanks BgBLKDg, the truth hurts, but not as much as being fed a bunch of bs by those who govern us at all levels.
    Now I know why its good to love your enemy...because one day you and your enemy may have the same goals, and may need one another's help to achieve those ends, when you see former enemies uniting in a common cause, look out.

Quote Originally Posted by North Thompson Hunter View Post
    I was going to stay silent on this one, but I just couldn't! This thread illustrates why I have changed my user-name and do not frequent this website anymore, except for occasional visits like this one. This website (Hunting BC) has become a voice of intolerance, and especially against First Nations. I know there are FN members that are assholes and do not abide by their own laws, but hey, that is not exclusive to First Nation people, right? I think the administrators or moderators, whatever you call yourselves, should review your policies regarding hate speech. Hunting is an admirable sport, and both FN and all that are not FN agree on a lot of issues, particularly hunter education, conservation, fair chase and proper seasons. First Nation people have a right to harvest animals for their own subsistence beyond established seasons, but not beyond conservation and not an unlimited harvest. A post such as this one, which is an eminently reasonable one, to shut down this particular caribou hunt (if you have been following the caribou opportunities and populations in this Province, then you will be wondering why this one has been open so long anyway). The root problem with this website is the inability to upvote or downvote particular comments. If this was a thing, then racist remarks could be downvoted into oblivion. As it is, they stand alongside honest thoughtful comments, as if they were equal.
    My thoughts on what you said.....

BEARVALLEY......I agree that in the Kootenays they have a unlogged area that the caribou have been reduced to one animal...But the subject was the Region 5 area in the Itcha.s ...Its a proven fact that logging was the cause of the decline of the caribou..Predation was the cause due to the opening up and creating moose habitat and therefore allowing the wolves and bears to multiply...As far as management I agree with you 100 %...As for predator management again I agree with you 100 %..There was none....Some animals on the earth will either adapt or perish and the caribou is one of those species ..As far as Alphonse leading anything that is a joke...Since the development of google earth one has to only gloss over the logged or burned areas of BC and see the opening up of our forests..Biologists agree that roads and in winter snowmobile tracks create hwys for wolves ...It is what it is but things will get worse before they get better..Logging ,fires have and continue to be major causes of wildlife reductions allowing predators easy access to ungulates that have reduced mature forests to live and hide from predators...This is my belief from information that I have seen ,read or watched videos on ..No dispespect to you ...Your belief is yours ....Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    BEARVALLEY......I agree that in the Kootenays they have a unlogged area that the caribou have been reduced to one animal...But the subject was the Region 5 area in the Itcha.s ...Its a proven fact that logging was the cause of the decline of the caribou..Predation was the cause due to the opening up and creating moose habitat and therefore allowing the wolves and bears to multiply...As far as management I agree with you 100 %...As for predator management again I agree with you 100 %..There was none....Some animals on the earth will either adapt or perish and the caribou is one of those species ..As far as Alphonse leading anything that is a joke...Since the development of google earth one has to only gloss over the logged or burned areas of BC and see the opening up of our forests..Biologists agree that roads and in winter snowmobile tracks create hwys for wolves ...It is what it is but things will get worse before they get better..Logging ,fires have and continue to be major causes of wildlife reductions allowing predators easy access to ungulates that have reduced mature forests to live and hide from predators...This is my belief from information that I have seen ,read or watched videos on ..No dispespect to you ...Your belief is yours ....Dennis
    Dennis.... I’d suggest you study the recovery plan for that area.
    The Itcha-Ilgachuz herd is tied to the Charlotte Applands herd and the Tweedsmuir caribou as well.
    Now tell me how much logging went on within the complete area these caribou range over.
    Like gcreek, who happens to live in the middle of were these caribou migrated, says....the habitat is there.
    I just spent part of 2 days last week in meeting with the recovery “experts” on this subject....430 wolves were admitted to being out there chewing on what was 385 caribou at the last count.
    All the BS being peddled about habitat and primary prey reduction is a defective cover up for procrastination.
    I agree we need to pull up our socks in the future as to how we look after habitat and correct the degradation that’s happened in the past...that’ll take decades.
    For today we better do what we can do and that start managing predation.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Dennis.... I’d suggest you study the recovery plan for that area.
    The Itcha-Ilgachuz herd is tied to the Charlotte Applands herd and the Tweedsmuir caribou as well.
    Now tell me how much logging went on within the complete area these caribou range over.
    Like gcreek, who happens to live in the middle of were these caribou migrated, says....the habitat is there.
    I just spent part of 2 days last week in meeting with the recovery “experts” on this subject....430 wolves were admitted to being out there chewing on what was 385 caribou at the last count.
    All the BS being peddled about habitat and primary prey reduction is a defective cover up for procrastination.
    I agree we need to pull up our socks in the future as to how we look after habitat and correct the degradation that’s happened in the past...that’ll take decades.
    For today we better do what we can do and that start managing predation.
    ^^^^YUP!!!

So many folks sit around a table trying to come up with all sorts of new hunting regulations etc.
    When the real issue is not being addressed and the people who are somebody, are not screaming at the Ministry and saying
    "hey, we are all out of finding new hunting restrictions" and "its time for you guys (Minsitry) to start addressing the issues at hand....NOW!!"

And yes, the better habitat and how we do it will take years to become the right habitat for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ^^^^YUP!!!

So many folks sit around a table trying to come up with all sorts of new hunting regulations etc.
    When the real issue is not being addressed and the people who are somebody, are not screaming at the Ministry and saying
    "hey, we are all out of finding new hunting restrictions" and "its time for you guys (Minsitry) to start addressing the issues at hand....NOW!!"

And yes, the better habitat and how we do it will take years to become the right habitat for the future.
    I agree.

Sounds like a lot of arguing over the side-effects of an inept government.
    the native tribes are just politicking around it, we are bickering about the decline pointing fingers... but was it over hunted? predators? habitat loss? something else? ask your neighbourhood biologist, but then what do we do?

for me it lands on the ministry in failing to run the show. without their say-so, funding, and political clout, nothing is happening. we are also talking about the same ministry that makes you submit your proof of BC residency every 5 years. you know, because this government ministry can't communicate with the same government to find that out. inept...any surprise nothing is happening?

all the money is going to other special causes, payouts, UNDRIP?, whatever is the flavour and hip today in vancouver to get the politicians elected. no one cares about some caribou in the interior they really didn't know about earlier. why would any politician budget for that?

I agree that predation is the cause Bearvalley and it has to be addressed...Governments new about the wolf problem in the 90,s ...They did nothing ...It was politically incorrect ...The point I was getting across was that logging and clearcutting an area created the problem ...After the logging the wolves were the problem ..Im not against logging ...Heaven forbid my career was in wood ...Yes north and west of there there is habitat ..Culling the wolves as was suggested is the only answer ...It will help the game and the ranchers ..The Ministry is on board with a wolf cull ..Its happening up north and hopefully here ..Our problem in this province is that politics runs our ministries not science ..Science dictates culling wolves..My feelings are that hopefully this wolf cull happens and continues ..Good to see First Nations on board or maybe if they weren't it wouldn't happen at all ..Dennis