Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: BC Outdoors promoting anti hunting organization

Re: BC Outdoors promoting anti hunting organization

The way it’s going hunting will be done like the dodo bird.. Our community is small in overall population, we are portrayed as cavemen rednecks to most and the news and government only solidify that.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Well, we all had the opportunity to show up in Victoria and Kelowna only a couple years ago, but most chose to go to work or stay home leaving us with only a small showing of people. Getting hunters together is like herding cats, they’ll spend countless hours online, but how many have actually done anything more. Unless we start showing our numbers, our sport will continue to decline.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

[QUOTE=Ride Red;2138265]
    Quote Originally Posted by sthdslayer View Post
    I was disappointed to see in the latest edition of BC Outdoors, at the end of the article BC's Coastal Wolves, that they were Promoting the Wildlife Defense League. The following is from there website.
    Ban the Hunting of Cougar, Lynx & Bobcat in British Columbia, Canada

What issue are you looking in? I looked at Nov/Dec 2019 and can’t find it.
    Ok, it’s the Jan/ Feb 2020 edition
    https://shop.opmediagroup.ca/product...ary-2020-issue
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

The following was posted on another site this am. Second hand info but??????

This from Facebook

Mike Mitchell Hey gang

First off let me apologize for the side bar links . The article is about how the coastal wolves are adapting and changing their diet.
    The links in the article were supposed to be removed and during the final edit were left in as an over site.

We are pro hunting , I am pro hunting. I get the impact other wolf packs are having in other parts of the province and this in not meant to be a save the wolves article but more of a wildlife feature on adaptation
    Thank you all for calling us out and holding me personally accountable
    Again I’m truly sorry for offending you all this was not my/ our intention
    We will be placing a retraction note in the next issue
    Mike Mitchell
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Hey Folks,

The BCWF does not support the Wildlife Defence League. You may recall that earlier this year we ran a campaign supporting the managed wild cat hunt in BC in response to the WDL's campaign to ban wild cat hunting. That was one of our many initiatives this year in support of hunting, fishing, outdoor recreation, and conservation in BC.

I have raised the reference to Wildlife Defence League with Mike Mitchell, the editor of BC Outdoors magazine, and have received a response similar to what Foxton Gundogs posted above. I believe Mike is very upset about this mistake. BC Outdoors magazine is a longtime supporter of hunting in BC. Mistakes happen; it's how we address the mistakes we make that matters, and I believe BC Outdoors is addressing this one appropriately.

As hunters, we need to stick together or we will lose our way of life. I urge all of you to continue supporting both the BCWF and BC Outdoors magazine.

Alan Dabb
    Director, BCWF

I think that is a very fair response, and a retraction would take a clear stance against radical fringe groups such as the WDL.
    thanks for taking the time to write this up and reaching out to the Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by bcmulie View Post
    Hey Folks,

The BCWF does not support the Wildlife Defence League. You may recall that earlier this year we ran a campaign supporting the managed wild cat hunt in BC in response to the WDL's campaign to ban wild cat hunting. That was one of our many initiatives this year in support of hunting, fishing, outdoor recreation, and conservation in BC.

I have raised the reference to Wildlife Defence League with Mike Mitchell, the editor of BC Outdoors magazine, and have received a response similar to what Foxton Gundogs posted above. I believe Mike is very upset about this mistake. BC Outdoors magazine is a longtime supporter of hunting in BC. Mistakes happen; it's how we address the mistakes we make that matters, and I believe BC Outdoors is addressing this one appropriately.

As hunters, we need to stick together or we will lose our way of life. I urge all of you to continue supporting both the BCWF and BC Outdoors magazine.

Alan Dabb
    Director, BCWF

Thanks for the clear and prompt response.

This was not just an editing mistake where a link was accidentally included. The problem is way bigger. It’s the fact that the article also anthropomorphizes the wolf. Naming animals is one of the primary strategies antis use to generate outrage when wildlife is killed... look no further than the effect Cecil the lion had relative to all the other lions that are killed. Furthermore, given that it was an article that was endorsed by WDL, including the link was at least the honest thing to do. Take the link out and you’re just hiding the fact that BC Outdoors is printing anti hunting propaganda. At least this way it’s out in the open! The link isn’t the problem, it’s the fact that BC Outdoors is including anti hunting propaganda.

As an aside, I thought the article itself was totally bogus. There is absolutely no evidence presented that wolves diet and behavior is “changing”. Coastal wolves have likely always eaten seafood and seals... they’re dogs and dogs will eat whatever food is available! Much like attempts to label the “eastern wolf” or the “red wolf” as distinct species, this coastal wolf naming is another attempt to give special status to these wolves so that they can receive special protection. Again... this article shouldn’t have been anywhere near a hunting magazine, link or not.

Quote Originally Posted by cpwrestler View Post
    This was not just an editing mistake where a link was accidentally included. The problem is way bigger. It’s the fact that the article also anthropomorphizes the wolf. Naming animals is one of the primary strategies antis use to generate outrage when wildlife is killed... look no further than the effect Cecil the lion had relative to all the other lions that are killed. Furthermore, given that it was an article that was endorsed by WDL, including the link was at least the honest thing to do. Take the link out and you’re just hiding the fact that BC Outdoors is printing anti hunting propaganda. At least this way it’s out in the open! The link isn’t the problem, it’s the fact that BC Outdoors is including anti hunting propaganda.

As an aside, I thought the article itself was totally bogus. There is absolutely no evidence presented that wolves diet and behavior is “changing”. Coastal wolves have likely always eaten seafood and seals... they’re dogs and dogs will eat whatever food is available! Much like attempts to label the “eastern wolf” or the “red wolf” as distinct species, this coastal wolf naming is another attempt to give special status to these wolves so that they can receive special protection. Again... this article shouldn’t have been anywhere near a hunting magazine, link or not.

Bingo! The apology for the link is really an apology for getting caught. That raincoast “ friends” of some in bcwf ( ask some of the current paid/or exec who it was that tried to get raincoast to present to the board) and therefore WDL ( friends of raincoast) are given the opportunity to push this drivel in a hunting magazine ( and apparently wanted it hid) is incomprehensible

Quote Originally Posted by cpwrestler View Post

Hit the nail on the head.