Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
A very good trapper friend of mine gave me his opinion of everyone and their dog (no pun intended) picking up road kill and making bait stations... It has severely impacted his ability to get wolves with trapping. According to him, all of this roadkill being dumped and people using it as bait stations is silly, as wolves are smart. You MAY get one or so if you are diligent on the bait, dawn to dusk day after day, but once one shot is fired, the wolves will only come to the baits in the pitch black, eat their fill and move on. In his opinion, you are really just feeding the wolves, not baiting them. AS well, again, his opinion, if you happen to shoot one of the alphas, male or female, that usually causes the pack to split into 2, with other alpha breeding pairs being created and thus doubling the breeding rate.

Prior to people dropping carcasses, he was catching approx. 10 to 15 wolves a year, but now that all of these other food sources are out there, the wolves are not as hungry, so more leery to enter his snare/trap stations.

He has over 40 years of trapping experience, so I respect his abilities and knowledge. His fur piles that go to auction every year are extremely impressive.
I would say there is truth to what he says and honesty most hunters who try to bait wolves don’t have the time/dedication to capitalize on it

Personally I won’t bait predators for hunting because of this. If I go to try my luck it’s calling and I am not very good at it lol. I am better off slinging steel and cable