Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get free wolf bait

How to get free wolf bait

So, some of us want to hunt Wolves.

One way is to use bait.

How would someone obtain suitable bait in the lower mainland, or anywhere else in the province?.

Be it Cattle Ranchers, Butchers etc...

Thx!
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to get free wolf bait

To get enough bait you want to start early collecting it. Beyond butchers and any farmers these are options I have used for trapping and others I know for wolf hunting

Hides, scrapes and bones from hunters get the word out before the season. Even bear works

Taxidermist is a good source. Skinned out ungulate heads are great because they are easy to tie to a tree or anchor to a frozen lake or pond

Even fish carcasses

You will need a lot of bait because you need to keep a reliable bait station. I am talking hundreds of pounds. Wolf hunter I know in Alberta has collected carcasses and hides from over 30 deer, 2 moose, 4 elk and a bunch of other stuff. This will be two bait stations. So basically get whatever you can

meatcicles added to your bait station help prolong your bait. I have had a pack of wolves eat up 300lbs of bait within a few days. You can also put your bait in the wrong spot and it last months.

Good luck

Call the local highway/road maintenance outfit Argo, YRB, AIM etc. ask where they dump the road kill.

Quote Originally Posted by bankshot View Post
    Call the local highway/road maintenance outfit Argo, YRB, AIM etc. ask where they dump the road kill.
    BC has crappy law with roadkill must have a trappers license and registered trapline to pick it up.

Be the first to a dead deer on the highway. Bag it and freeze it.(slightly illegal)
    Bait might sit at a site for weeks till a wolf finds it. The ravens can clean it up in days when they find it.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    BC has crappy law with roadkill must have a trappers license and registered trapline to pick it up.
    Sometimes a CO will make an exception if you tell him it's for dog food

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    So, some of us want to hunt Wolves.

One way is to use bait.

How would someone obtain suitable bait in the lower mainland, or anywhere else in the province?.

Be it Cattle Ranchers, Butchers etc...

Thx!
    Don't use dead live stock.

Easiest way is to not bother with baits at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Don't use dead live stock.

Easiest way is to not bother with baits at all.
    If a guy cannot provide the time to invest in baiting or the resources I would agree. If you don’t live close to your area this is likely the case

Lots of guys get the job done calling and if you can’t invest the effort/time into baiting this is likely the option to go with

From what I have seen from those who hunt wolves successfully both are good options but both involve different skills

A very good trapper friend of mine gave me his opinion of everyone and their dog (no pun intended) picking up road kill and making bait stations... It has severely impacted his ability to get wolves with trapping. According to him, all of this roadkill being dumped and people using it as bait stations is silly, as wolves are smart. You MAY get one or so if you are diligent on the bait, dawn to dusk day after day, but once one shot is fired, the wolves will only come to the baits in the pitch black, eat their fill and move on. In his opinion, you are really just feeding the wolves, not baiting them. AS well, again, his opinion, if you happen to shoot one of the alphas, male or female, that usually causes the pack to split into 2, with other alpha breeding pairs being created and thus doubling the breeding rate.

Prior to people dropping carcasses, he was catching approx. 10 to 15 wolves a year, but now that all of these other food sources are out there, the wolves are not as hungry, so more leery to enter his snare/trap stations.

He has over 40 years of trapping experience, so I respect his abilities and knowledge. His fur piles that go to auction every year are extremely impressive.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

What type of calls would be recommended? and at what intervals etc?