Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CWD Update from BC's Provincial Wildlife Health Biologist

Re: CWD Update from BC's Provincial Wildlife Health Biologist

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Mad Cow (BSE) infected meat was promoted by government agencies as Safe for human consumption, until it was proven not to be.
    Unfortunately the change in knowledge, attitude and formal position from governments came too late for many people.
    Absolutely true. As a mid-life immigrant to Canada, I was born and lived in the UK until my early 40's. I was there through Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) and it's linkage to Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (CJD); even now, I cannot donate blood or organs in Canada and never will be able to simply because I lived in the same country where the disease was present.

I too, will run with scissors. If it goes bad, it should be a quick death, unlike dementia.
    Life often delivers what you need but rarely what you want.

It doesn't matter where you come from, it only matters where you go
    No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do. ~ Frank Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Well, I understand the "reducing" the exposure philosophy, and it's reasonable.
    But then again, we have done such a fantastic job of preserving/protecting winter range that we never needed winter feeding programs.
    Oh wait!!…..we do, because in many places they cant get to any decent areas anymore to feed for the entire winter.

So, either we do or we don't, neither is a great option I suppose.
    If it's coming, its coming.....and it will come.
    Now, is a cure coming or at the least, a treatment???
    That's the only thing that should be focused on, the rest is just useless in the end.
    I don't see how eliminating baiting is such a big deal when Wildlife health is at risk.
    Why is eliminating baiting for the sake of Wildlife health not a great option?
    Is it really that important to hunting that it should take precedence over wildlife health?

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    I don't see how eliminating baiting is such a big deal when Wildlife health is at risk.
    Why is eliminating baiting for the sake of Wildlife health not a great option?
    Is it really that important to hunting that it should take precedence over wildlife health?
    FYI, I don't bait nor do I use Cams etc.
    Don't have time for it.
    Does it makes sense to stop baiting as you say, yes, I suppose it does.
    But, then again it is just another hunting regulation that will be entered to never be removed and in the end, the prevention of CWD
    will not be stopped, it will still happen, so in the end, its just another useless Regulation and a total waste of time.
    There's lots of that going on these days in BC, like saving the Selkirk Boo by killing off Moose etc.
    Did it work....nope....ju8st wasted effort, time and especially money.

Like a lot of issues in BC, the "big ones", there is lots of talk but little push towards the Ministry to fix those.
    Funding and preserving habitat (winter range) come to mind, that is "Really important"! and will make a difference down the road.
    Trying to stop, reduce CWD is useless, because down the road, it will be a problem, no matter what.
    Cure or Treatment should be the "Real agenda", that should be yelled into the Ministry's ear every day.
    Whispering to them to ban bait is useless.

And because we have done such a great job in this province protecting/creating Winter habitat, I guess in preventing CWD, we don't need
    "Winter Feeding Sites" I suppose.
    Have to ban those too, if CWD is an issue and game like deer congregating.
    Another Reg that will not work!.....period.

The topic of this thread "CWD Update from BC Gov't" which relates to cronic wasting and what hunters are doing in an effort to participate in the prevention or at least slow the spread of CWD into BC by understanding it and doing our part.
    Don't hijack into a negative bash on whatever irks you, there's way to much of that garbage on here already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    FYI, I don't bait nor do I use Cams etc.
    Don't have time for it.
    Does it makes sense to stop baiting as you say, yes, I suppose it does.
    But, then again it is just another hunting regulation that will be entered to never be removed and in the end, the prevention of CWD
    will not be stopped, it will still happen, so in the end, its just another useless Regulation and a total waste of time.
    There's lots of that going on these days in BC, like saving the Selkirk Boo by killing off Moose etc.
    Did it work....nope....ju8st wasted effort, time and especially money.

Like a lot of issues in BC, the "big ones", there is lots of talk but little push towards the Ministry to fix those.
    Funding and preserving habitat (winter range) come to mind, that is "Really important"! and will make a difference down the road.
    Trying to stop, reduce CWD is useless, because down the road, it will be a problem, no matter what.
    Cure or Treatment should be the "Real agenda", that should be yelled into the Ministry's ear every day.
    Whispering to them to ban bait is useless.

And because we have done such a great job in this province protecting/creating Winter habitat, I guess in preventing CWD, we don't need
    "Winter Feeding Sites" I suppose.
    Have to ban those too, if CWD is an issue and game like deer congregating.
    Another Reg that will not work!.....period.

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    The topic of this thread "CWD Update from BC Gov't" which relates to cronic wasting and what hunters are doing in an effort to participate in the prevention or at least slow the spread of CWD into BC by understanding it and doing our part.
    Don't hijack into a negative bash on whatever irks you, there's way to much of that garbage on here already.
    Not trying to hijack.
    Just not going to be fooled into playing God.
    Way too much of that going on for years!

Besides, if you look at other threads on this, I have started some threads on CWD rto keep people informed.
    TO PROTECT THE HUNTER.
    The rest will happen as it happens.

The only change that should be made is that all feed should be made and sold in BC, no imports.
    (again, I have expressed that in other threads)

My rant isn't based on emotion as it may look.
    I have sat on the fence "neutral" about feed pit/cams etc and cwd.
    And I know there are folks like Ourea who do it (and share their findings on hbc, just to remind some here).
    And I have seen a lot of blowback towards such people at times, on the site and privately.
    And I have the time to reflect, to think about it, and only then do I get really mad when I see a direction that is a useless endeavor.

Lets review this.
    CWD is in Idaho, close to BC border and I suspect will also travel into Washington State.
    So, there will be the potential of a CWD invasion from the south.
    And There is CWD in Alberta, so an invasion from the east.

Now, I am not overly familiar with Idaho's landscape or Washington State, especially where it borders Idaho.
    But, I have a pretty good idea about Alberta.
    It's one big feed lot!!!

So, if we are going to ban cam feed sites as well as winter range feed sites etc.
    Are we going to Restrict Ranchers form putting out Salt blocks?
    Are we asking Ranchers with Horses to not feed with hay?
    Are we asking farmers to not grow crops, especially those nearing winter etc, where deer etc will congregate during winter??

I am fairly certain Alberta wont be telling their ranchers anything, nor their crop producers.
    And if the situation is similar in Idaho and Washington State, I doubt thy will either.

Better of building a high fence all the way down the Alberta/BC border and along the BC/USA border to keep infected deer out.
    Both ways are just about as Practical, imo.
    I just see more restrictions to something that cant be stopped.
    Just like adding more restrictions to hunters while wolves down the last Boo or other ungulate.

As for the "Info" and what to do, where to get inspected and where it is being reported, how to dispose of.....Excellent!!

Bugle m in I sent u a pm

Folks, don't look at my posts as trying to hijack.
    Like another member once told me, as I felt the same once with one of my threads I started:
    By me replying, whether you agree or not, this thread always gos back two the top of the "100 chart".
    So, if anyone was away for some time, they will click on the OP, reading Walking Buffs and be up to date.
    Don't think there is much more one can add to the actual update????
    So, why not talk about cwd and the new bait ban "proposal" and all the time keeping CWD front and center and at the top for now.