Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CWD Update from BC's Provincial Wildlife Health Biologist

Re: CWD Update from BC's Provincial Wildlife Health Biologist

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    But are the prions not only in the spinal fluid and brain? So if you butcher it (like the gutless method) should you not be fine?
    My understandings is yes, only in the spinal fluids or brain.
    So, no more head shots or spine shots that may contaminate the other meat

But, this is assuming the disease is held in the Prions.
    Nothing is 100% as to what the issue is that is causing CWD from my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    But are the prions not only in the spinal fluid and brain? So if you butcher it (like the gutless method) should you not be fine?
    NO.

The prions exist throughout an infected animal.
    They are found in higher concentrations in the nervous tissue/brain, which is why it is desired to dispose of these parts with greater caution.

Do you ever share any of your game?
    Gonna share that CWD meat with the young ones?

CWD is one of several types of Transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE). CWD has yet to be shown to transfer to humans. TSEs are thought to be 100% fatal. For example, Mad Cow disease (bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)) is fatal in cattle and Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease in humans is usually fatal. It's up to you if you want to eat the meat of an infected deer or not, but at this time, both Canada and the US are recommending not to.

Mad Cow (BSE) infected meat was promoted by government agencies as Safe for human consumption, until it was proven not to be.
    Unfortunately the change in knowledge, attitude and formal position from governments came too late for many people.

A friend of mine was talking to the biologist for reg 4 sometime around the start of November. He was told there was around 140 heads that weren’t able to be tested....... Testing can’t be performed on anything younger than 1yr old.

I'm glad to see the conversation on CWD continuing and it should be front and center with everyone in BC.
    The testing on border MU's will be our first line of defense / indicator and it it does show up a bigger sample will be done to figure out the extent. The next step would likely be a larger cull if they find more positive results in order to try and contain it.
    Luckily we have no positive results but everyone has to be conscious of this when hunting in the possible infection areas

Younger animals don't usually test positive so i think that is why the previous poster mentioned the juvenile heads not tested. it generally shows in older mature animals.

Its a nervous system type disease and one of the symptoms is drooling (saliva), and the prion can live where the saliva has landed so imagine the effect with infected ungulates in a hay field and the sale of that hay......it could become a huge issue quickly so prevention is key for as long as we can.
    Hunters are a great source of samples so our community is a big part of the prevention of CWD into BC and I took interest heavily this year as i hunt regions being monitored in Reg 4 and i harvested a mule buck about 10km from the Montana border. Initially i found the info rather sparse and the information from the Gov't biologist vague as they were unsure with what the process was going to be now that mandatory testing was implemented. Butchers didn't know what precautions they should take and carcass disposal prior to test results wasn't that informed.

Really good reading on this if you just google it on up or its on the BC Govt site.

This could be a bigger hit to our game inventory if we start seeing positive results, so hopefully everyone is careful if they go into positive areas (ie - Sask/Alta) and be the eyes and ears here in BC.

^^^^^That s why Ted Nugent said it doesn't matter what we do, in regards to bait stations or winter feed programs.
    Eventually deer have to mingle during mating, scenting etc which will easily pass it on.
    I suppose feed and bait could contribute more, but disallowing it still want fix the problem are stop it from continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ^^^^^That s why Ted Nugent said it doesn't matter what we do, in regards to bait stations or winter feed programs.
    Eventually deer have to mingle during mating, scenting etc which will easily pass it on.
    I suppose feed and bait could contribute more, but disallowing it still want fix the problem are stop it from continuing.
    Proponents of baiting bans for disease Control aren't making claims that this action will fix the problem.
    They do claim that it will redude the rate of spreading the disease.
    We can't control all intimate contact between deer, nor should we, that in itself would be a death blow, but we can eliminate contact due to concentrating animals on a bait pile.
    Eliminating baiting could be more effective than reducing population density in the effort to reduce the rate and range of infection.

Until a viable cure for CWD can be found, short term management is about control, reducing the spread of the disease.
    Eliminating baiting of ungulates should be part of the CWD control measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Proponents of baiting bans for disease Control aren't making claims that this action will fix the problem.
    They do claim that it will redude the rate of spreading the disease.
    We can't control all intimate contact between deer, nor should we, that in itself would be a death blow, but we can eliminate contact due to concentrating animals on a bait pile.
    Eliminating baiting could be more effective than reducing population density in the effort to reduce the rate and range of infection.

Until a viable cure for CWD can be found, short term management is about control, reducing the spread of the disease.
    Eliminating baiting of ungulates should be part of the CWD control measures.
    Well, I understand the "reducing" the exposure philosophy, and it's reasonable.
    But then again, we have done such a fantastic job of preserving/protecting winter range that we never needed winter feeding programs.
    Oh wait!!…..we do, because in many places they cant get to any decent areas anymore to feed for the entire winter.

So, either we do or we don't, neither is a great option I suppose.
    If it's coming, its coming.....and it will come.
    Now, is a cure coming or at the least, a treatment???
    That's the only thing that should be focused on, the rest is just useless in the end.