Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CWD Update from BC's Provincial Wildlife Health Biologist

CWD Update from BC's Provincial Wildlife Health Biologist

The BC Wildlife Health Program is happy to report that the Kootenay CWD samples from October and early November (479 samples) have all come back negative! These results are now posted on the website: http://www.gov.bc.ca/chronicwastingdisease

Mandatory submission of deer along the BC-Montana border is finished for the season. Over 1000 heads have now been submitted from the Kootenay Region. Submission numbers have also been good in the Peace Region and the Okanagan, with a number of new drop off locations established this season.

Thank you to the BCWF and clubs for donating and hosting freezers. We are grateful to all of the hunters that have participated and continue to support the Program. And thanks to all of our partners, regional wildlife staff and Conservation Officers for really stepping up to help in the delivery of enhanced surveillance this fall.

The hunting season is wrapping up, but CWD testing will continue through the winter with the last of the hunter samples, road kills and any cervid presenting with CWD-like symptoms. We will need more samples and will need to sustain this level of surveillance to maintain confidence in healthy wildlife populations - so let’s continue to be proactive and protect B.C.’s deer, elk, moose and caribou from CWD.

Lastly, I would like to acknowledge our regional CWD coordinators, Brian Paterson (Peace) and Jeff Berdusco (Kootenay) for their tremendous efforts and dedication to the Program! We could not do this without you!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: CWD Update from BC's Provincial Wildlife Health Biologist

Finally, some good news. Thanks for sharing.

Good to hear, thanks for the update!

Thanks. Glad you'er staying on top of this and bringing it to us.
    Again, Thanks.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Just so you know, carcasses of deer harvested from southeastern AB (and likely other CWD known zones in AB) continue to make their way back to BC — last year there were at least 10 such deer that did test positive for CWD. Spread the word if you know of anyone who has been hunting deer, elk, or moose outside of the province as per the regulations:

"The B.C. Wildlife Health Program is focusing on preventing the disease from entering B.C. Hunters can help to reduce the risk by not using products containing materials such as urine from deer as urine can carry CWD prions, contaminate the environment and infect new animals. If you hunt deer, elk or moose in jurisdictions with CWD, please follow regulations and do not return with intact carcasses or tissues able to carry CWD prions to B.C. Make sure to process carcasses and leave high risk tissues behind (brain, spinal cord, lymph nodes and organs) where you harvested."

And

"It is prohibited to possess the head, hide, hoof, spinal column, internal organ or mammary gland of any animal of the family Cervidae (deer, elk, moose) that was killed outside British Columbia. Possession of an out-of-province Cervidae hide that has been treated in a manner that removes all tissue, or antlers or parts of skulls that have had all tissues removed is permitted."

That’s great news but it’s only a matter of time before it moves West with the amount of Mule Deer coming back as being positive in Southern Alberta. Both my buck and my partners buck came back positive this year. The good news for us is it only took 5 weeks to get results this year so we didn’t have to wait for months like previous years. Sucks to wait 3 years for a rifle draw, drive 2400 kilometres round trip, butcher at home 2 bucks, wait 5 weeks for results and then have something you cannot eat.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Sucks to wait 3 years for a rifle draw, drive 2400 kilometres round trip, butcher at home 2 bucks, wait 5 weeks for results and then have something you cannot eat.
    I am interested to know if AB told you not to eat the deer (it's certainly recommended not to by Canada and the US) and if AB gave you any info about CWD when you were notified of your successful hunt application?

It might be different for out of province hunters but being a resident of Alberta now there was no information on CWD given to me when I received the draw.

I was notified by phone of the positive result and advised not to eat it.

At my age, i have defended myself from all sorts of attackers with my immune system.. i would eat it... and suffer any potential side effects, besides having an empty belly...

Just about every other biogen can be dealt with by cooking (either high temp or sustained medium temp for a long period)...

I will take my chances...

But that is just me...

I smoked for over 30 years, drink semi regularly, dont exercise much, dont eat enuff veggies and fruit as suggested by the canada food guide and pick my nose too much.....

How is that different from a health wise, fitness vegan???

Guess what? We both end up in the same place.. a cold dark hole in the ground or cremated sitting in an urn on the mantle!!!!

I want to live my life as i want!!! Good or bad, its my life
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Forgot to add...

Sometimes i drive over the posyed speed limit..

Sometimes i don't wear my seatbelt...
    Sometimes don't wash my hands after peeing and then eating...

And when i am feeling like a rebel,....

I like to run with scissors!!!!!!
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main