Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Interior Mule Deer Project Update

Southern Interior Mule Deer Project Update

So, I was looking at this as I found some mapping of it on FB and decided to dig a bit deeper.

Interesting, when you look at the Boundary Group Study.
    Looks like they collared appr. 27 deer, and NOW, 22 of them have fallen into the "Mortality Category" already!
    If I am correct, they only have about 5 left to study!???
    AND, look at who was "responsible" for their demise.....Cougar.

Cougar also for W.Okanagan area as well, just not as bad.

Here is the link:
    https://bcwf.bc.ca/southern-interior...roject-update/

One thing, on FB, the map showed more of the actual "deer movement" where as the one on the link is a bit more
    "generalized".
    (Not sure where to find better details??)

Shows how few deer are surviving for any length of time, imo.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Southern Interior Mule Deer Project Update

intresting like to see more studys like this

...thanks for the link! Very interesting!

It would be interesting to know the cat population around there. I have only seen a few cats while in the bush. Would there be any benefit to getting rid of Cougar tags and allowing hunters to kill them when they see them like wolves. Only in that general area that is.

very cool. Post up the FB map!!

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    It would be interesting to know the cat population around there. I have only seen a few cats while in the bush. Would there be any benefit to getting rid of Cougar tags and allowing hunters to kill them when they see them like wolves. Only in that general area that is.
    houndsmen and GOs would fight it tooth and nail

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    It would be interesting to see where the deer were getting killed. I'm no scientist, but I believe the deer in the Cache Creek Study Area are surviving because they are all wintering in a fresh burn.

That said, I'm curious if there was better survival in the Boundary Study Area specifically around the recent Rock Creek burn than in other parts of the Study Area.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    houndsmen and GOs would fight it tooth and nail
    not to mention it probably wouldn't help much. How many hunters actually see a cougar? As far as i know it's a very low number of people.

Well, I am not sure if this study, and stating that many of the MD that were killed by Cougar, neccesarliy means that we have too many
    Cougars or a Cougar issue (but, imo, I think we possibly do), but rather that a Cougar can become a very strategic hunter and when they
    zero in on a prey species, they are very efficient at hunting/killing them.
    I have seen that with other studies in the States, where one cougar was responsible for depleting many of the Bighorn in one herd.
    While another study on MD also saw Cougar as the biggest killer of MD, just like here.

It could just mean that all it takes is a Cougar or 2 in a particular area to do a lot of damage.
    Granted, they are just doing what Cougars do.

Surely wolves, just due to the fact that they are pack animals, need to feed a lot of mouths.
    But I think most wolves when hunting deer need snow to be really efficient.
    I doubt Cougars do, and are great at hunting them all year round.

Anyways, this study is a great idea, kudo's to the folks that volunteered their time to do so.
    Now, if only the ministry does something to help the situation, otherwise, it was another useless study that just ends up being shelfed.

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    It would be interesting to see where the deer were getting killed. I'm no scientist, but I believe the deer in the Cache Creek Study Area are surviving because they are all wintering in a fresh burn.

That said, I'm curious if there was better survival in the Boundary Study Area specifically around the recent Rock Creek burn than in other parts of the Study Area.
    Yes, there is definitely some "complexity" to this study and who is killing what, and where and when.
    Are some situations better for the Cougar.
    Are some areas better for MD survival.
    Hopefully that is all looked at to make better habitat management decisions one day??
    Definitely a good point/post.